Main Menu

Adobe problems

Started by RiverAux, January 19, 2009, 09:19:16 PM

RiverAux

Okay, so I reguarly find online documents that I need to share with other CAP members.  In the past, I would open up the document in its own web browser window and copy and paste the URL out of the address bar into my email (or onto this forum). 

Now, I'm using Acrobat Reader 9 and for the life of me, I can't get an address bar to show up on the top of the screen and can't figure out anyway to determine the URL of a document once I've opened it up.  Any ideas? 

Capt M. Sherrod

Are you looking at it in a Web window? Is it full-screen? Try F-11.

If you are looking at it in Adobe, try F-8 to get the menu's back.

Otherwise, not too sure.
Michael Sherrod, Capt, CAP
Professional Development Officer
Hanscom Composite Squadron, NER-MA-043

RiverAux

Not looking at it in full screen.  I want it to be within a web window, as I assume that is what is needed to have an address bar show. 

When I hit f8 it made the menu bar I had disappear except for the text part at the very top. 

Eclipse

Viewing Adobe and Office documents in a web browser is quite possibly the most annoying, inefficient way to work with them, and the developer(s) who created this "feature" should be sentenced to life in front of a firing squad.

To enable it in Adobe Reader, go to EDIT-PREFERENCES-INTERNET and check "Display PDF in browser"

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

Yep, that is one of the first things I did and it is checked, but I still don't get an address bar. 

Is there any other way to figure out the direct URL of an Adobe document without the use of an Address bar?  I can't seem to find one. 

Major Carrales

Anyone note that the reports in the "Commander's Corner" (30 day Ops Quals) which is a PDF file is not automatiaclly opening?  Could be just on my end, but I have to download and then select the application to open it.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

RiverAux

I have occassionally had problems opening up their reports.  Usually I try again and it works ok.

Eclipse

Quote from: RiverAux on January 20, 2009, 03:58:20 AM
Yep, that is one of the first things I did and it is checked, but I still don't get an address bar. 

Is there any other way to figure out the direct URL of an Adobe document without the use of an Address bar?  I can't seem to find one. 

I read that a few times and am not sure what you're referring to - if you're opening something on a web page, you had to click a link to get there, right?  Can't you just right-click and "copy link location"  (Firefox) or "copy shortcut" (ie)?

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Acrobat can be integrated into browsers as a add-on/add-in. It is an option during installation. Acrobat Reader integrates pretty well, and when it misbehaves, a repair installation usually cures the problem.

Full Acrobat integrates less well, and usually requires an uninstall, then reinstall to fix it.

Having both installed is usually problematic from the outset, and the default add-on becomes the last program installed, so figure out which you want the default to be before installing either program. I prefer Reader, due to fewer problems.

YMMV.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Is that the issue?

On machines with Acrobat I uninstall Reader...

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

It could be. I have managed to get them to successfully coexist by installing Reader last. That makes it the default, and becomes the browser add-in. I do it that way because Reader opens much more quickly than the full product, and does most of the common stuff I need it for. I have the full product available for creating PDF files as needed. The conflicts seem to vary from computer to computer.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

RiverAux

Well, I bit the bullet and uninstalled Reader and then downloaded and installed it again.  Got the address bar the first time I opened up an online Adobe document.  Thanks for the advice.