Acceptable Colors for GT Gear

Started by RiseAbove, August 11, 2008, 05:06:29 AM

RiseAbove

'Ello,

I'm preparing to start going for my UDF and GTM3 qualification, and I am soon to be ordering a vest to store all my gear (24 hr, obviously)

What color gear (since 24 hr is a part of the uniform) is acceptable?  Is it only camo, or is black ok also?

Thank you
C/Tucker
Goddard Cadet Squadron
NER-MA-007

IceNine

The only color Requirements set out are for camelbak's which are in 39-1 as
QuoteAuthorized for use with CAP field uniform or BDU only, in hot
weather conditions, with or without built-in backpack. Will be black,
brown, or camouflaged
As for the packs and such as for the packs I personally have a mix of od green and woodland camo.

I know of more than a few folks that have jumped the gun and when they upgrade they choose sage, I'm rather torn on this idea. As there is a possibility that we will switch to ABU's someday however no official talk has been started on that process.  But if you are going to spend a substantial amount of money to upgrade forward thinking is a good thing.

"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

RiseAbove

Thank you for the response,

I'm actually having a hard time finding a good source for SAR vests.  Does anyone have any recommendations of products or companies?

Thank you
C/Tucker
Goddard Cadet Squadron
NER-MA-007

IceNine

You can search through "tools of the trade" on this board.

If you have the money and want a good all in one vest.  The Camelbak delta 5 tac vest is currently my favorite.  It's molle compatible

"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

isuhawkeye

www.thesarstore.com
www.truenorthgear.com
www.thevestguy.com

and many others will be found if you do a search

arajca

If you get a vest, try to get it in orange, since you'll be reqired to wear an orange vest in the field anyway.

cap235629

Quote from: arajca on August 11, 2008, 01:20:48 PM
If you get a vest, try to get it in orange, since you'll be reqired to wear an orange vest in the field anyway.

^beat me to it!

Here is my suggestion

http://thevestguy.com/product.asp?id=10235
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

FlyingTerp

I use this one with a small backpack:

http://www.shopatron.com/product/part_number=9520/573.0 

Pretty inexpensive and the 2 front pockets are handy.

Shotgun

I just spent the weekend on an overnight training mission where 20 of us completed our GTM3 training.

I too wanted a vest instead of web gear and had a couple of requirments. It had to be be orange so I didn't have to wear/carry a separate safety vest, it had to have a water bladder so I won't have to carry a bukly canteen, and it needed to be large enough to carry all my 24 hour gear.

I did a LOT of research and ended up with the Hydra-SAR form Searchgear.com

http://www.searchgear.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=177

I had my doubts based on the picture on the website, but after I got it I'm 110% satisfied.
It is the best investment I've made in my Ground Team preparation.

We had an "inspection" on our gear and I was able to carry pretty much everything in the front pockets.
There are also two compartments on the back which I didn't use, can easily carry any other items a person might want to bring along.

Most of the other members and even the instructors were impressed with it and wanted to know where I got it.

Pylon

There are also multiple threads on CAPTalk about favored vests, bags and gear set-ups.  Do a few searches and you'll see lots of discussion and recommendations from people who have used different stuff.

As for the color - I have been buying foliage green/sage.  It looks fine with the BDUs and if we ever go to ABUs, it will also look good; I won't have to buy any new gear. 
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Hawk200

Quote from: Pylon on August 12, 2008, 01:45:08 PMAs for the color - I have been buying foliage green/sage.  It looks fine with the BDUs and if we ever go to ABUs, it will also look good; I won't have to buy any new gear. 

The new Defensor Fortis LCS for the AF cops is available in the Army digi and foliage. The digi looks fine with the ABU, a few cops at McEntire have been wearing it. Haven't seen a plain foliage with ABU's yet.

I guess a few Air Force types will wear the ACUPAT with ABU's for awhile, the stuff is probably going to be pretty cheap in a couple of years.