Aircraft Survival Packs and Rescue Radios

Started by ol'fido, March 25, 2011, 11:19:43 PM

Slim

Quote from: SarDragon on March 26, 2011, 09:29:58 PM
Slim has a random sig line, and one of the items it displays is that list, hence my comment. (Yes, there are actually people who read sig lines.) Come to think of it, many of Slim's sig bits have something to do with Major Kong, or Dr. Strangelove in general.

BTW, the original line, as filmed, said, "a fella could have a pretty good weekend in Dallas with all that stuff," but, due to other events in the US at the time, the line was dubbed to "Vegas" and the opening was moved from Nov '63 to Jan '64.

To further contribute to the drift.....

Dave, I don't have a sig rotator here, just on CS.  And honestly, I don't know what all is on there.  Nin set it up for me BITD (a Wednesday).

To contribute to the topic at hand.  Whenever I fly, I carry my Motorola VHF portable, with the antenna dismounted, in one of the pockets on my SRU-21/P vest.  If I have to egress, I'll have the vest on when I go, and that'll give me access to tons of different frequencies; aside from CAP freqs, it's also got HAM freqs, marine freqs, and statewide LE, fire and EMS frequencies programmed.

Slim

sarmed1

Quote from: Major Lord on March 28, 2011, 12:24:19 AM
Too bad we could never get the permissions to use the PRC-112...it makes Comm guys mouth water.

http://www.gdc4s.com/content/detail.cfm?item=a001a1c6-04dc-4aae-a080-910c2709cd77

Major Lord

Its not that CAP couldnt get them; it says available to LE, military, paramilitary and governmental agencies..... the part I doubt is that the USAF would GIVE them to CAP;  I am sure CAP would have to buy them if we wanted them.

Not to hijack into a comm geek thread, but here's what I woudl like to carry...all around not just for survival.  If it had a Emergency beacon mode (which i cant promise it doesnt....just didnt see it in the specs)

http://www.rfcomm.harris.com/media/AN-PRC-152_M1_Web_tcm26-9021.pdf

basically its an all band radio AM & FM; (30-520, 762-870 MHz) plus has a GPS add in option

mk
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel