Main Menu

Epipen

Started by RNOfficer, August 25, 2016, 03:39:59 AM

RNOfficer

We've all seen stories about the greatly increased cost of Epipens, which could be a real hardship for some members.

While schools usually have an Epipen on hand, most pediatricians believe that a child with allergies should carry his/ her own.

The manufacturer has a "savings plan" for those who qualify

https://www.activatethecard.com/epipen

And here's information about an alternative you can discuss with your health provider

http://www.consumerreports.org/drugs/how-to-get-cheaper-epipen-alternative/

Eclipse

How is this related to CAP?

"That Others May Zoom"

RNOfficer

Quote from: Eclipse on August 25, 2016, 03:45:38 AM
How is this related to CAP?

CAPR 160-1    3 JUNE 2013
CHAPTER 1 – ORGANIZATION AND FUNCTION
1-  1.
General Considerations.
  People are the most valuable asset of any organization.  This is especially true of any organization such as CAP.  In order for those people to perform their tasks well,  they  should  be  optimally  healthy,  physically  fit and  well-trained.    Physical  fitness,  health  promotion,  environmental  protection and  skill  and  knowledge  in  providing  emergency  care  are  readiness issues.  Training at every level must reflect these issues.  Since CAP is an integral part of the Air Force family, a program reflecting the foregoing is necessary.  CAP Health Service's overarching program goal is to a
ssist our entire membership to become and/or remain optimally healthy and fit.
values

Eclipse

This is none of CAP's business beyond being aware if a cadet needs one, and that is a confidential issue.

Despite your assertions, CAP is not in a position to influence these types of issues, nor is it supposed to
be a primary care provider, or even a source for this kind of information.

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

So you've unilaterally decided that you're everyone's Health Services Officer?
That's pretty bold.

RNOfficer

Quote from: Eclipse on August 25, 2016, 04:00:37 AM
This is none of CAP's business beyond being aware if a cadet needs one, and that is a confidential issue.

Despite your assertions, CAP is not in a position to influence these types of issues, nor is it supposed to
be a primary care provider, or even a source for this kind of information.

Not an assertion but as the above post shows a Regulation CAPR 160-1

Eclipse

Training should be relevent to CAP, not the random FUD of the day off Snopes.

"That Others May Zoom"

RNOfficer

Quote from: PHall on August 25, 2016, 04:02:34 AM
So you've unilaterally decided that you're everyone's Health Services Officer?
That's pretty bold.

I'm not your HSO. I just post well-documented health news that is of general interest and importance to the health and safety of CAP members.

Members may be concerned about access to Epipens. Reliable information is not easy to find in the overload of often incorrect information available, especially on the web.

Eclipse

Quote from: RNOfficer on August 25, 2016, 04:11:24 AMnews that is of general interest and importance to the health and safety of CAP members.

This is not.  If you gave a briefing on epi-pen costs at a unit meeting, that would be the last time you
gave one for quite a while, for the same reasons I don't allow SEs to start talking about AOPA political issues.
It's not relevent to the majority of the members, and those so inclined can seek out find that information on their own.

Quote from: RNOfficer on August 25, 2016, 04:11:24 AM
Members may be concerned about access to Epipens. Reliable information is not easy to find in the overload of often incorrect information available, especially on the web.

Again, this was all over the tubes today, most local news, and pushed all over FB by "concerned" people.

It's also not "news", certainly not to anyone who actually needs one.  The only reason it was in the news cycle today
was because a Senator has decided to make it an issue.

"That Others May Zoom"

Nick

And people wonder why we have a retention problem in CAP. Here we have a CAP health service officer sharing news about a health related issue, however saturated the news cycle may be, and s/he is berated into submission by the masses because they personally disagree with the message.

Guys, if you have a personal objection to what someone shares, just ignore it and move on with your life. Ridiculing someone is not the way to win the hearts and minds, eh?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nicholas McLarty, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing Staff Guy
National Cadet Team Guy Emeritus

RNOfficer

Quote from: Eclipse on August 25, 2016, 04:13:29 AM
Quote from: RNOfficer on August 25, 2016, 04:11:24 AMnews that is of general interest and importance to the health and safety of CAP members.

This is not.  If you gave a briefing on epi-pen costs at a unit meeting, that would be the last time you
gave one for quite a while, for the same reasons I don't allow SEs to start talking about AOPA political issues.
It's not relevent to the majority of the members, and those so inclined can seek out find that information on their own.

Again, this was all over the tubes today, most local news, and pushed all over FB by "concerned" people.

My posts do not treat it as a political issue but rather as a health issue. For it to be of importance I do not think there is any requirement that it be of interest to a "majority" of members.

If you are not interested in the subject, I suggest you do not read it.

grunt82abn

Here we go again!!!
Sean Riley, TSGT
US Army 1987 to 1994, WIARNG 1994 to 2008
DoD Firefighter Paramedic 2000 to Present

PHall

So RNOfficer, do you post anywhere else or just to the very limited number of people who are here on CAPTalk?
Because if this is the only place you post, you're not getting much bang for your buck.

A.Member

Quote from: RNOfficer on August 25, 2016, 04:21:03 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on August 25, 2016, 04:13:29 AM

My posts do not treat it as a political issue but rather as a health issue. For it to be of importance I do not think there is any requirement that it be of interest to a "majority" of members.

If you are not interested in the subject, I suggest you do not read it.
As others stated, the price of an epipen or any other medical item is not a CAP issue.  Further, this is not new but rather just the latest increase.  The prices have been increasing for 5 - 10 years.

Does a member require an epipen for an allergy?  If yes, do they know where it is and how to use it, if needed?  That is where the CAP interest in this issue begins and ends.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

DakRadz

Quote from: PHall on August 25, 2016, 03:14:48 PM
So RNOfficer, do you post anywhere else or just to the very limited number of people who are here on CAPTalk?
Because if this is the only place you post, you're not getting much bang for your buck.
I would make that argument the other way around- since the average unit is rather small, why CAP? Couldn't you affect more people through a bigger or more well known program?

That particular motive is irrelevant- we all chose CAP.

Also, one post every day or two on the Safety board isn't that bad. And, in general, RN Officer tends to avoid the political side of these  (though I have seen the mods remove improper/non-neutral links).

I think this opens a good discussion, specifically on the fact that something like 88% of people actually don't notice this increase because of insurance or assistance. But maybe the next cadet who says they have a bad allergy, make sure the EpiPen or equivalent is actually on their person- and yes, I feel we should  check this for our 12 year old members.

While recent posts show that maybe someone should have a talk specifically with the OP about giving a short summary of how this is relevant, and maybe leave Zika out, let's reconsider attacking every post. There is a level of goodwill and dedication, and this isn't a meeting, it is a message board. I wouldn't argue about the effectiveness of ABU in a field environment at the Tues meeting. Nor would I be able to draw on the experience here.

We have our MCoC, but I wouldn't say this works exactly as weekly meetings do.

1st Lt Raduenz

Holding Pattern

You know, the thing that would make this far more relevant is not so much the cost, but how the operation of the adrenaclick is different from the operation of an epipen.

THAT is something that is worth covering here, especially as more people find out about alternatives to the brand name epi-pen.

stillamarine

I worked the schools for the last 5 years. Every time there was a medical emergency we were called (our radios are faster than calling 911). None of the schools I worked had an epipen in it's inventory. One had one that a student that had one prescribed brought and left at the school.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

Holding Pattern

I imagine that any school that had them in inventory probably has an expired inventory. Prescription drugs generally aren't kept "on inventory" unless you have someone licensed to use them.

DakRadz

Quote from: Starfleet Auxiliary on August 25, 2016, 04:34:08 PM
You know, the thing that would make this far more relevant is not so much the cost, but how the operation of the adrenaclick is different from the operation of an epipen.

THAT is something that is worth covering here, especially as more people find out about alternatives to the brand name epi-pen.
This. Redirection instead of rejection and ejection. Perhaps also tied in to an activity that you are highly likely to need this information.

4.5 years in EMS hasn't seen me use an EpiPen, but the irony is I expect it will be an encampment or other CAP activity because of the high concentration of allergies I've seen.

1st Lt Raduenz

Spaceman3750

If we see an uptick in cadets at activities with severe allergies that SHOULD have an Epi-Pen according to their doctor, but don't because of the cost, this suddenly becomes related to CAP; a cadet who is likely to have their airway close up following a sting, who is not carrying an Epi-Pen, is at significantly higher risk of injury than their peers.

The counter-point to that argument is that if you can't afford a $300 life-saving medication (a cost which, as has been pointed out, will likely be blunted in some way by insurance for most people), you are not likely to be sending your cadet to CAP or CAP activities anyways, due to the cost of the program itself. I wouldn't say that is 100% true, but it's probably true more often than not.

My .02 anyways, don't spend it all in one place.