I really want to join CAP, DO I have to cut my hair?

Started by kyle413, April 14, 2012, 04:17:49 PM

kyle413

I recently got very interested in CAP, and talked to a local squadron and I'm attending a meeting soon, but my question is do i have to cut my hair? most of my hair is fairly short but I have bangs that are about half an inch above my eyebrow. I feel uncomfortable without bangs, are they going to make me cut them?

Camas

Thank you for your interest in Civil Air Patrol. Having said that you must realize (and I'm sure you do) that CAP has very exacting standards when it comes to grooming standards for all members. I don't know if you're male or female but you should go ahead, visit the unit and interact with some of the cadet staff members. I won't bore you with all the grooming details here; your cadet staff can assist you in whether or not you meet grooming standards and if, in fact, CAP is the right program for you. Perhaps you know some of these cadets in school or in your neighborhood. Good luck to you and I hope you'll make the right decision that meets your needs.

kyle413

OK, (I'm a male btw) yeah I go to the meeting this monday and I guess I'll talk to them about it. I read the standards but I had a bit of trouble understanding them.

GTCommando

First, welcome to CAPTalk!

As far as bangs go, here's a quote from Attachment 2 (attached) of the uniform manual.

QuoteBangs: Not below eyebrows and not exposed when headgear is worn.

So, if you can wear a flight cap or BDU patrol cap (your squadron staff will explain what those are) and not have bangs visible, you're good to go. Otherwise, you may need to have them trimmed.
C/Maj, CAP                 
Alpha Flight Commander                     
Pathfinder Composite squadron
Earhart #15889

"For the partisan, when he is engaged in a dispute, cares nothing about the rights of the question, but is anxious only to convince his hearers." -- Socrates

kyle413

OK, SO If i wore like an elastic band or something that held it back, I'd be okay?

manfredvonrichthofen

Don't worry about any bands... When you are in uniform just put some hair gell or something in and sweep it to the side. I have a high and tight with bangs, and I just put gell in it. Otherwise my hair would go pat my headgear too. It's really no problem at all.

kyle413

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on April 14, 2012, 04:44:57 PM
Don't worry about any bands... When you are in uniform just put some hair gell or something in and sweep it to the side. I have a high and tight with bangs, and I just put gell in it. Otherwise my hair would go pat my headgear too. It's really no problem at all.
OH ok, thats a huge relief, thanks.

AngelWings

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on April 14, 2012, 04:44:57 PM
Same here. I gell mine and, with the sides of my head clean shaven, people think I have a buzz cut or I am bald.

ColonelJack

I wish I could offer some advice.  My hair's in a race to see which will happen first - will it turn gray or will it fall out?

I was just combing what I've got left and looked at the hairs in the comb with mixed feelings.  They were gray ... but they were HAIR!

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

The CyBorg is destroyed

Is this a potential cadet or senior member?

If the latter, a senior can wear his/her hair as they wish, if they wear one of the CAP "alternative" uniforms.

ColonelJack: Sir, I'm 46 and I've been greying since I was a teenager.  I had grey hair at the time of my high school graduation (1984).

Now I'm almost completely white/silver haired, though I'm thinning a bit up top too.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

kyle413

Quote from: CyBorg on April 14, 2012, 10:43:42 PM
Is this a potential cadet or senior member?

If the latter, a senior can wear his/her hair as they wish, if they wear one of the CAP "alternative" uniforms.

ColonelJack: Sir, I'm 46 and I've been greying since I was a teenager.  I had grey hair at the time of my high school graduation (1984).

Now I'm almost completely white/silver haired, though I'm thinning a bit up top too.
Potential cadet

usafcap1

Quote from: kyle413 on April 14, 2012, 04:17:49 PM
I recently got very interested in CAP, and talked to a local squadron and I'm attending a meeting soon, but my question is do i have to cut my hair? most of my hair is fairly short but I have bangs that are about half an inch above my eyebrow. I feel uncomfortable without bangs, are they going to make me cut them?

Yes. . . but different squadrons do it differently if your hair is short and in CAPR 39-1 regs then your fine. BUT. . . if you are not you will have to cut it. Ask your staff, also known as NCOs or Flight Sgt. if your hair is good or not. (Hair can not be touching ears and can not be touching back of collar.) Now if you were at my squadron we would give TWO chances before we 'd cut it off. . . but that my squadron. Different squadrons do it different ways.

( [lmgtfy]CAPR 39-1[/lmgtfy] )

By The Way Welcome aboard  8)
|GES|SET|BCUT|ICUT|FLM|FLS*|MS|CD|MRO*|AP|IS-100|IS-200|IS-700|IS-800|

(Cadet 2008-2012)

Air•plane / [air-pleyn] / (ar'plan')-Massive winged machines that magically propel them selfs through the sky.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: usafcap1 on April 19, 2012, 12:46:14 AM
Now if you were at my squadron we would give TWO chances before we 'd cut it off. . . but that my squadron.

And how many times has your unit done this?

Extremepredjudice

Now if you were at my squadron we would give TWO chances before we 'd cut it off. . . but that my squadron.
What gives you the right to cut someone's hair off? ???
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

AngelWings

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on April 19, 2012, 12:51:05 AM
How does paying money to wear a uniform give them any right to disrespect the people who wore it in service to this country?  :o

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Littleguy on April 19, 2012, 01:12:41 AM
How does paying money to wear a uniform give them any right to disrespect the people who wore it in service to this country?  :o

What?

AngelWings

Quote from: usafaux2004 on April 19, 2012, 01:13:18 AM

What?
All a CAP member has to do to get the right to wear a CAP uniform is to pay money to national and their squadron, while the USAF has to go through 8 weeks of BMT for enlisted, or through whatever commisioning source to get the right to wear their uniform. What gives any CAP member the right to disrespect the uniform in such a way to come in with a slovenly haircut that in the USAF wouldn't fly and disrespects their service and commitment to adhere to standards?

SarDragon

Small, but important point - it's not a right, it's a privilege.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

AngelWings

Quote from: SarDragon on April 19, 2012, 01:20:49 AM
Small, but important point - it's not a right, it's a privilege.
If I said right, I meant privilege.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Littleguy on April 19, 2012, 01:19:02 AM
All a CAP member has to do to get the right to wear a CAP uniform is to pay money to national and their squadron

That is incorrect.

while the USAF has to go through 8 weeks of BMT for enlisted, or through whatever commisioning source to get the right to wear their uniform.

Has no point in this issue.

What gives any CAP member the right to disrespect the uniform in such a way to come in with a slovenly haircut that in the USAF wouldn't fly and disrespects their service and commitment to adhere to standards?

Nobody said they have any right to it. The issue is with this squadron "policy" not whether the member in question has a right to have improper hair styles.

Eclipse

The regs say you have to have a compliant hairstyle and it cannot be "faddish".

If you want the privileges of membership, you have the responsibility of compliance with regulations.

No squadron CC, or anyone else in CAP, has the right to force a member to cut their hair, especially any nonsense about "or we'll cut it off".  Doing that is a great way to get terminated yourself, probably sued, and possibly arrested.

With that said, a Unit CC does have the right to discipline a cadet up to and including termination for non-compliance with grooming regulations.

"That Others May Zoom"

Extremepredjudice

Um, yeah, if you tried to cut my hair without permission, you'd be paying for my college. Being non-compliant with regulations doesn't give you the right to touch me or my hair.

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

Major Lord

Quote from: ColonelJack on April 14, 2012, 10:17:46 PM
I wish I could offer some advice.  My hair's in a race to see which will happen first - will it turn gray or will it fall out?

I was just combing what I've got left and looked at the hairs in the comb with mixed feelings.  They were gray ... but they were HAIR!

Jack

Rudyard Kipling wrote that "Hair is the pride of a woman, and the shame of a soldier" So some of us have less to be ashamed of than others......

Major Lord
p.s. Men talking about hair gel and bangs is just not right! You may need hormone therapy.
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: Major Lord on April 19, 2012, 01:28:17 AM

Jack

Rudyard Kipling wrote that "Hair is the pride of a woman, and the shame of a soldier" So some of us have less to be ashamed of than others......

Major Lord
p.s. Men talking about hair gel and bangs is just not right! You may need hormone therapy.
See: metrosexual

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

manfredvonrichthofen

Jack

Major Lord
:'(Just because I enjoy my hair, does not mean I am a girl... Lol

I actually went for me Wednesday ritual and cut my hair, yes cut my own hair. I have been cutting my own high and tight for almost seven years now, but this time I wasn't thinking too well about what I was doing and took my number two all the way across the top of my head... I was fading up the sides, and then... Brrrrrrrt... OH MY LORD WHAT HAVE I DONE?!?! Now I look straight out of basic with a half inh fuzz for a high and tight. And nj, I don't have my bangs any more. The only thing that keeps me from looking like a total private is that I am a lot more wrinkly than your average private...

AngelWings

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on April 19, 2012, 01:51:41 AM

Jack

Major Lord
:'(Just because I enjoy my hair, does not mean I am a girl... Lol

I actually went for me Wednesday ritual and cut my hair, yes cut my own hair. I have been cutting my own high and tight for almost seven years now, but this time I wasn't thinking too well about what I was doing and took my number two all the way across the top of my head... I was fading up the sides, and then... Brrrrrrrt... OH MY LORD WHAT HAVE I DONE?!?! Now I look straight out of basic with a half inh fuzz for a high and tight. And nj, I don't have my bangs any more. The only thing that keeps me from looking like a total private is that I am a lot more wrinkly than your average private...
I envy you, I have to pay to get it cut because I cannot get a decent fade or even a straight line when I do it.

Eclipse

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on April 19, 2012, 01:51:41 AMI actually went for me Wednesday ritual and cut my hair, yes cut my own hair. I have been cutting my own high and tight for almost seven years now, but this time I wasn't thinking too well about what I was doing and took my number two all the way across the top of my head... I was fading up the sides, and then... Brrrrrrrt... OH MY LORD WHAT HAVE I DONE?!?! Now I look straight out of basic with a half inh fuzz for a high and tight. And nj, I don't have my bangs any more. The only thing that keeps me from looking like a total private is that I am a lot more wrinkly than your average private...

I literally did the same thing last month - I'm usually a 1 on the sides, 2 on top, and my wife brought home a fancy new trimmer - so I skip a couple
of cuts here and there and do them myself.  I wasn't paying attention, snapped the guard down to zero, and it was too late before I noticed...

"That Others May Zoom"

Cap'n

I wish I could pull off short hair...I'm a girl, and currently use about ten bottles of hairspray, 3000 bobby pins, and two bottles of gel every month.

But as others have said, you can use gel and hair products to put it back- no worries. :)

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: Pomegranate on April 19, 2012, 02:38:45 AM
I wish I could pull off short hair...I'm a girl, and currently use about ten bottles of hairspray, 3000 bobby pins, and two bottles of gel every month.

But as others have said, you can use gel and hair products to put it back- no worries. :)
:o :o

Is your head conductive, with 3k bobby pins?

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

titanII

I used to sport a high and tight, 2 on the sides and 4 on top. But that didn't really strike the fancy of a certain administrator at my school, so now it's just a 2 all around. May not look how I'd like, but it works for me.
No longer active on CAP talk

Slim

Quote from: Eclipse on April 19, 2012, 02:38:21 AM
I wasn't paying attention, snapped the guard down to zero, and it was too late before I noticed...

There are those who have.....and those who will.

Slim

usafcap1

All the cadets hand write a contract sign there names date it take it home have there parents sign and date it then cadet staff looks it over and signs it and dates it. and there you go

(Cadet 2008-2012)

Air•plane / [air-pleyn] / (ar'plan')-Massive winged machines that magically propel them selfs through the sky.

usafcap1

Quote from: usafaux2004 on April 19, 2012, 12:48:26 AM

And how many times has your unit done this?

A few times but we have contracts cadets, parents, and staff sign them.

(Cadet 2008-2012)

usafcap1

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on April 19, 2012, 01:26:55 AM
Um, yeah, if you tried to cut my hair without permission, you'd be paying for my college. Being non-compliant with regulations doesn't give you the right to touch me or my hair.

We have contracts between cadets, parents, and staff.

(Cadet 2008-2012)

PA Guy

Quote from: usafcap1 on April 19, 2012, 07:30:01 AM

And the "contract" isn't worth the paper it is written on.  This is an unpleasant incident waiting to happen.  CAP isn't in the barber business.  If the cadet doesn't comply with the regs show them the door.

FlyTiger77

I would be interested to read one of those contracts. And to know how many parents sign them.
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

manfredvonrichthofen

We push the haircuts like crazy, but we never force it. If we have an activity comming up that they really MUST BE CORRECT, I will tell cadets and their parents that if they need a hair cut and can't afford one or aren't able to go take the time to wait in a barber shop, I will, with a signed note from the parent, cut their hair for them. It makes it easier for us to be ok with sending them home from the activity telling them they can't participate because they aren't in compliance with regulations. It is just really hard to tell them they can't march in the parade even bough they have spent money on the uniforms and have taken their time to come out to the parade, just because their hair doesn't meet regulations. So, we gave you a chance for a free hair cut that will be within regulation, and you didn't take it. But from the get go, we explain and stress how important all of our regulations are, and how they must all be met, no matter how trivial they may seem. I hate sending a cadet home because of their hair, it really sucks, but those are the rules, and we must all obey them.

But no, I would never force a cadet to let me cut their hair, that is actuall a battery charge waiting to happen.

EDIT: fixing stupid iPhone mistakes, I doubt I got them all...

Stonewall

This may help explain things a little btter:

Quote from: AFI 36-2903
3.1.2. Hair-Male. Tapered appearance on both sides and the back of the head, both with and without headgear. A tapered appearance is one that when viewed from any angle outlines the member's hair so that it conforms to the shape of the head, curving inward to the natural termination point without eccentric directional flow, twists or spiking. A block-cut is permitted with tapered appearance. Hair will not exceed 1¼ inch in bulk, regardless of length and ¼ inch at natural termination point; allowing only closely cut or shaved hair on the back of the neck to touch the collar. Hair will not touch the ears or protrude under the front band of headgear. Cleanly shaven heads, military high-and-tight or flat-top cuts are authorized. Prohibited examples (not all inclusive) are Mohawk, mullet, cornrows, dreadlocks or etched design. Men are not authorized hair extensions.

I know a lot of men in the Air Force who quote the part in bold, because as long as while you're in uniform your bangs are Gellin' like Magellan, don't fall below the eyebrows, protrude from under the hat, or cause more than 1 1/4 inch of bulk when gelled back, then you're in-there like swimwear.
Serving since 1987.

Eclipse

Quote from: usafcap1 on April 19, 2012, 07:25:10 AM

Two points - the only members who can sign contracts in CAP are Wing CC's or other corporate officers, further, you cannot sign an
agreement which essentially says "it's OK to abuse me".  We all realize this is not your doing, and your CC is likely well intentioned,
but this is simply not what CAP is about, and we all know which road is paved with good intentions.

We require voluntary compliance with regs to participate, and do not coerce people beyond positive peer pressure or the withholding of
opportunity.  Anything else is just wrong and not in keeping with our core values, senior or cadet.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: Slim on April 19, 2012, 06:41:26 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on April 19, 2012, 02:38:21 AM
I wasn't paying attention, snapped the guard down to zero, and it was too late before I noticed...

There are those who have.....and those who will.

For those scoring at home, I believe I was successful this AM in my attempt to use the clippers properly this time, those who will see me this weekend will be the final judge...

"That Others May Zoom"

Extremepredjudice

MFW reading this: http://qkme.me/3ov5qx

Y U SO NAIVE! You are having a minor sign a contract, that makes it 'okay to abuse me.' Not only that, but chances are, you are pressuring them, which would make the contract void.

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

The CyBorg is destroyed

Like heck you do.

Those "contracts" aren't worth tearing up and using in my cat's litterbox.

Are you a Squadron CC?  The term "abuse of authority" comes to mind.

You are bloody lucky someone hasn't gone up the chain with this...I know both my Group and Wing CC personally, and someone would be getting relieved of duty for something like this, if not having disciplinary action initiated against them.

There is nothing in CAP or Air Force regs that gives you that power.

In every squadron (except the senior flying club squadron, of course) I have ever served in, cadet and composite, it has been made perfectly clear to cadets by command staff what the expectations for hairstyle are, with pictures from 39-1.  That said, we did not have the authority, nor do you, to force a haircut on a MINOR, contract or no.

In my first squadron, just once I let my hair get a touch too long (no excuse, except for a brain fart).  My CC, a former Air Force officer, told me, "Lieutenant, before we leave tonight I want to chat with you for a minute."  The "chat" was her telling me, "Lieutenant, the next time I see you I shall expect your hairstyle to be within regulations."  It was.

Now I just buzz it all off...much of it's going bye-bye anyway.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

N Harmon

If parents give permission to CAP to cut their cadet's hair, and said permission is given in the form of a written permission slip (call it a contract, or whatever), then I'm not sure that is against the rules. I certainly would not want to waste my unit's time cutting cadet hair during meetings, but if others want to...whatever.
NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron

Spaceman3750

Of course, there's also the regulatory compliance ramifications. Here in IL, cutters of hair (be it a barber or cosmetologist) must be licensed.

Stonewall

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on April 19, 2012, 06:57:35 PM
Of course, there's also the regulatory compliance ramifications. Here in IL, cutters of hair (be it a barber or cosmetologist) must be licensed.

Even in the military (Army, anyway), technically "barracks cuts" are unauthorized.  We had a company barber who went to Norfolk NAS to attend 6 weeks of barber school so he could cut our hair in the barracks.  Had a barber chair and everything.
Serving since 1987.

jeders

I don't know about IL, but I believe that only applies if you receive compensation for the haircut. So if mom or dad want to cut little Billy's hair, they don't need a license.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

titanII

Quote from: jeders on April 19, 2012, 07:40:40 PM
if mom or dad want to cut little Billy's hair, they don't need a license.
Well when we're talking about parents, it's a different animal. Parents get a bit more leeway, I would presume.
No longer active on CAP talk

Flying Pig

I actually offered free haircuts to cadets with parents permission.  The only stipuilation was that it had to be a flat top, and had to be outside of a meeting.  I was the unofficial barracks barber in the Marines and I can cut a mean flat top....but thats about it.  I had probably 4-5 takers and did it about 20 haricuts total.  I had some kids whos parents were pretty hard pressed to afford to have their kids in CAP, not to mention a hair cut every couple of weeks.  It seemed like a nice gesture and everyone had fun with it. We'd meet about an hour and a half before meetings, cut hair on the front lawn of our Sq building and then the cadets would walk a block to the base gym where they were allowed to use the showers and change into their uniforms.  Pre-9/11 March AFB, CA was a pretty sweet place to have a CAP Squadron.

But it was never forced or even mentioned that I would show up at an inspection and shave your head. 

Flying Pig

Quote from: Stonewall on April 19, 2012, 06:59:12 PM

Even in the military (Army, anyway), technically "barracks cuts" are unauthorized.  We had a company barber who went to Norfolk NAS to attend 6 weeks of barber school so he could cut our hair in the barracks.  Had a barber chair and everything.

HA!...Oh...I forgot to mention, my barracks barber days in the Marines came to an end when the ONE (1) base barber at the weapons station I was at found out why his business had declined significantly over the span of about 6 months.  What was pretty cool was the barber, retired Chief, didnt go to my command or throw a fit.  He located me in the barracks on day, calmy explained that the shop was how he made his living and that me giving $2 haircuts vs his $6 hair cuts was actually hurting him and that he paid rent on the little building he used as a shop.  I was a dumb 18-19 yr old LCpl who had never even considered that part of it.   So I stopped giving hair cuts and he and I actually eneded up with a pretty cordial relationship.   ;D  Now I wasnt so dumb that I didnt understand what his plan B would have been >:D  Those were good times actually.  Man I havnt thought about that story in 15 years probably.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: N Harmon on April 19, 2012, 06:53:40 PM
If parents give permission to CAP to cut their cadet's hair, and said permission is given in the form of a written permission slip (call it a contract, or whatever), then I'm not sure that is against the rules. I certainly would not want to waste my unit's time cutting cadet hair during meetings, but if others want to...whatever.

I wouldn't do it without the parents being present.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

AngelWings

Quote from: Flying Pig on April 19, 2012, 08:06:13 PM
I actually offered free haircuts to cadets with parents permission.  The only stipuilation was that it had to be a flat top, and had to be outside of a meeting.  I was the unofficial barracks barber in the Marines and I can cut a mean flat top....but thats about it.  I had probably 4-5 takers and did it about 20 haricuts total.  I had some kids whos parents were pretty hard pressed to afford to have their kids in CAP, not to mention a hair cut every couple of weeks.  It seemed like a nice gesture and everyone had fun with it. We'd meet about an hour and a half before meetings, cut hair on the front lawn of our Sq building and then the cadets would walk a block to the base gym where they were allowed to use the showers and change into their uniforms.  Pre-9/11 March AFB, CA was a pretty sweet place to have a CAP Squadron.

But it was never forced or even mentioned that I would show up at an inspection and shave your head.
That's just too cool. Only if I could somehow find a person who could give me a flat top willingly for free/cheap.

Cap'n

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on April 19, 2012, 02:50:19 AM
:o :o

Is your head conductive, with 3k bobby pins?

Probably.

...Well, that might have been a slight exaggeration. Either way, it takes a while to do my hair. ;)

FlyTiger77

JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

Extremepredjudice

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

usafcap1

Quote from: PA Guy on April 19, 2012, 07:36:18 AM

If the cadet doesn't comply with the regs show them the door.

Nooooooooo. . . we would most likely speak with the parents and say "your cadets hair is out of regs CAPR 39-1 we've told him that blah blah blah" something along those lines.

(Cadet 2008-2012)

usafcap1

(Cadet 2008-2012)

usafcap1

Quote from: N Harmon on April 19, 2012, 06:53:40 PM

I fully agree

(Cadet 2008-2012)

usafcap1

Quote from: CyBorg on April 19, 2012, 06:35:42 PM

it has been made perfectly clear to cadets by command staff what the expectations for hairstyle are, with pictures from 39-1..

I get that and we do that but we then we proceed to said "If you wish to to not comply with CAPR 39-1" dot dot dot  then we would proceed to said " with the permission and compliance from your parents we will cut your hair.

(Cadet 2008-2012)

usafcap1

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on April 19, 2012, 04:46:02 PM

MFW reading this: http://qkme.me/3ov5qx

Y U SO NAIVE! You are having a minor sign a contract, that makes it 'okay to abuse me.' Not only that, but chances are, you are pressuring them, which would make the contract void.

We give chances to be nice. . . We send out emails to parents re hair and CAPR39-1. . . Do you think my staff wants to cut hair. . .

(Cadet 2008-2012)

usafcap1

Quote from: PA Guy on April 19, 2012, 07:36:18 AM

And the "contract" isn't worth the paper it is written on.  This is an unpleasant incident waiting to happen.  CAP isn't in the barber business.  If the cadet doesn't comply with the regs show them the door.

I agree, not so much with "If the cadet doesn't comply with the regs show them the door." because we as CAP want more members.

(Cadet 2008-2012)

davidsinn

Quote from: usafcap1 on April 21, 2012, 11:01:56 AM
I agree, not so much with "If the cadet doesn't comply with the regs show them the door." because we as CAP want more members.
That can follow the rules of the organization.

That's the part you left off the end.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

spacecommand

it has been made perfectly clear to cadets by command staff what the expectations for hairstyle are, with pictures from 39-1..

I get that and we do that but we then we proceed to said "If you wish to to not comply with CAPR 39-1" dot dot dot  then we would proceed to said " with the permission and compliance from your parents we will cut your hair.

First, I'm really not sure what's going on at your unit from reading all of your posts, with that, CAP isn't in the hair cutting business, parental permission or not. 

If the cadet says "NO" what do you guys do now?  You can't use any force for them to get a hair cut.

This is something to be left with the parents to handle.  If the cadets do not want to comply with regulations, then 2b them out of the organization.

It really should never get to the point where you as a unit have to say to a cadet, "OK you didn't cut your hair after we told you many times, we are going to cut it for you".  In reality, that's a cadet you DON'T want in the unit to begin with. 

abdsp51

[qoute}
If the cadet says "NO" what do you guys do now?  You can't use any force for them to get a hair cut.

This is something to be left with the parents to handle.  If the cadets do not want to comply with regulations, then 2b them out of the organization.

It really should never get to the point where you as a unit have to say to a cadet, "OK you didn't cut your hair after we told you many times, we are going to cut it for you".  In reality, that's a cadet you DON'T want in the unit to begin with.
[/quote]

I agree I know if my son/s were in and they came and told me that this was a requirement well there would be a heart to heart with the Sq/CC about this.

Also and if I am wrong please correct but most states prohibit a minor from engaging in any type of Contract.  There are plenty of ways to handle a member who does not want to play by the rules. 

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: abdsp51 on April 21, 2012, 06:40:20 PM
I agree I know if my son/s were in and they came and told me that this was a requirement well there would be a heart to heart with the Sq/CC about this.

I would be asking a lot of questions.

Also and if I am wrong please correct but most states prohibit a minor from engaging in any type of Contract. 

Correct, I believe.  Could one of our legal eagles (Ned) confirm?

There are plenty of ways to handle a member who does not want to play by the rules.

Hopefully short of a Form 2B.

Restriction from activities, verbal reprimand, notes of reprimand in a personnel file - all of those can be effective.  If the member just decides to quit, this is going to sound nasty, and I don't mean it to, but we didn't need him/her to begin with.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

abdsp51

Quote from: CyBorg on April 22, 2012, 12:48:29 AM

Most definitely short of that.  On something simple as this definitely not unless there was a rash of other behavior. 

RogueLeader

Quote from: abdsp51 on April 22, 2012, 01:18:57 AM

Most definitely short of that.  On something simple as this definitely not unless there was a rash of other behavior.

Such as:

QuoteYou will not promote until you are in compliance with 39-1.   
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Ned

Also and if I am wrong please correct but most states prohibit a minor from engaging in any type of Contract. 

Correct, I believe.  Could one of our legal eagles (Ned) confirm?

Without derailing the thread, I did want to comment that CAP has had cadets signing contracts for decades.  Heck, WIWAC, we had to sign a contract with our squadron commander for each achievement indicating when we would take our tests, etc.  This was a Jack Sorensen thing to help create "buy-in" and motivate the cadets to progress more or less on schedule.

So, I guess the legal point is that minors can sign contracts all day long.  And frequently do.  And it can be a Good Thing in the CAP context.

The only hitich is when people start filing lawsuits to enforce the contracts.  At that point minority may be a defence to enforcibility. (Many exceptions, varies by state, consult a licensed attorney if you really need to know.)

But there is nothing wrong, per se, with a minor signing a contract.

Ned Lee
Former CAP Legal Officer

abdsp51

Not allowed to promote, suspension from activities and anything allowed under regs. 

And Col Lee thank you for that insight. 

I think that as long as parents know what the standard and expectation is then this is avoidable. 

The CyBorg is destroyed

Colonel Lee offered information I hadn't known either.

Seriously, if it gets to the point where not being allowed to promote (or even demotion), suspension, etc., have to come into play, I would start to wonder if there weren't more serious underlying behavioural problems.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Flying Pig

In my experience I have found that cadets who were really attached to their hair get into CAP and before to long, they end up starting to look like all of the other cadets.  Especially once they start making friends and their cadet/friends start saying "C'mon dude, you need to trim that mop."  Peer pressure isnt always bad ;D

abdsp51

Quote from: Flying Pig on April 22, 2012, 03:30:02 PM
In my experience I have found that cadets who were really attached to their hair get into CAP and before to long, they end up starting to look like all of the other cadets.  Especially once they start making friends and their cadet/friends start saying "C'mon dude, you need to trim that mop."  Peer pressure isnt always bad ;D

No it's not and I'm sure most of youth we have in the program would rather have their peers get on them than adults.  Saw it alot in JROTC from folks who thought it would be an easy A would get the boot for not following the guidelines.  Granted that's a different prom but adherence to grooming was a major part of it. 

RogueLeader

Quote from: CyBorg on April 22, 2012, 01:43:49 PM
Colonel Lee offered information I hadn't known either.

Seriously, if it gets to the point where not being allowed to promote (or even demotion), suspension, etc., have to come into play, I would start to wonder if there weren't more serious underlying behavioural problems.
His hair i
If a new male cadet that needs a haircut, he won't make it past C/AB.  If a male cadet is up for promotion, but his hair is too long; his promotion will be waiting on the clippers.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

RiverAux

It may be ok for a minor to sign such a contract, but what about someone other than a Wing Commander signing for CAP?   Even if these aren't meant to be "serious" contracts, what does the fine print in the regs say about it?

spacecommand

Yep, but it isn't up to the squadron itself to cut the cadet's hair.  The cadet has to choose to straighten up and fly right or he's not. 

SarDragon

Quote from: RiverAux on April 22, 2012, 06:45:05 PM
It may be ok for a minor to sign such a contract, but what about someone other than a Wing Commander signing for CAP?   Even if these aren't meant to be "serious" contracts, what does the fine print in the regs say about it?

I was in a cadet unit when the cadet achievement contracts were being used, and they were signed by the cadet and the squadron commander. No big deal. There were expectations of performance for both parties, and specified outcomes.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

usafcap1

Quote from: Eclipse
Two points - the only members who can sign contracts in CAP are Wing CC's or other corporate officers, further, you cannot sign an
agreement which essentially says "it's OK to abuse me".  We all realize this is not your doing, and your CC is likely well intentioned,
but this is simply not what CAP is about, and we all know which road is paved with good intentions.

We require voluntary compliance with regs to participate, and do not coerce people beyond positive peer pressure or the withholding of opportunity.  Anything else is just wrong and not in keeping with our core values, senior or cadet.

Quote from: usafcap1

1) I fully understand that but I don't and didn't make this rule.

2) This is based on my previous experience. Our old DCC made this rule and our staff follows them like they were made by God. BUT none the less. . . I'm dropping this topic re "How my squadron enforces CAPM 39-1". Lets get back to the original topic "I really want to join CAP, DO I have to cut my hair?" :D (emphasis added to correct myself)

(Cadet 2008-2012)

SarDragon

Quote from: usafcap1 on April 23, 2012, 10:46:42 PMLets get back to the original topic "I really want to join CAP, DO I have to cut my hair?" :D (emphasis added to correct myself)

Yes.

Game, set, match.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

AngelWings

Quote from: SarDragon on April 23, 2012, 10:50:21 PM
Quote from: usafcap1 on April 23, 2012, 10:46:42 PMLets get back to the original topic "I really want to join CAP, DO I have to cut my hair?" :D (emphasis added to correct myself)

Yes.

Game, set, match.
+1