Weiredest places you have found ELT;s and EPerbs.

Started by Hoorah, May 24, 2009, 10:50:41 PM

Hoorah

Wheres the weirdest places you have  found them at.
The weirdest place we have found one was in a basement.

Flying Pig

Hanging in a pilots survival gear, in his locker at the local Army Guard Helicopter Unit.

DC

Quote from: Flying Pig on May 24, 2009, 11:19:12 PM
Hanging in a pilots survival gear, in his locker at the local Army Guard Helicopter Unit.
Not me, but I think someone mentioned in another thread that they had found one in the garbage...

PHall

Quote from: DC on May 25, 2009, 03:41:51 AM
Quote from: Flying Pig on May 24, 2009, 11:19:12 PM
Not me, but I think someone mentioned in another thread that they had found one in the garbage...

We find EPIRB's in dumpsters at Marinas all the time.

SJFedor

Quote from: capcadetwilliams on May 24, 2009, 10:50:41 PM

How did we find anything? You don't even have your GES.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

CadetProgramGuy

notaNCO forever

Hoorah

Quote from: SJFedor on May 25, 2009, 05:29:58 AM
Quote from: capcadetwilliams on May 24, 2009, 10:50:41 PM

How did we find anything? You don't even have your GES.
Past squadron history.

Gunner C

Buried in mud in a North Carolina salt water swamp after it fell off of a USCG aircraft.

ltcmark

Found one in top of barn that was in storage.

Under easy chair.

In middle of kitchen floor, it went off when wife kicked it.

In trash can.

Found 7 going off at same time in National Guard helo's.

Found one elt in box of 20 elt's in safe at National Guard base. (this happend numerious times)

In a lawyers office.

In a walk in safe.

In hallway of house.

jimmydeanno

1) ELT: In the back of a pickup truck after a few hours of wondering why the location kept changing.

2) EPIRB: In a huge stack of batteries at the local recycling facility.

3) EPIRB: USS Iwo Jima
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

SJFedor

ELT: In the back of an airplane. While it was still flying.

EPIRB: Packed and set parachute in a life support unit on a ANG Base.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

Desert Dawg

In a creamatorium sitting on the morticians desk.
Ken Smith, Major. CAP
Tucson, Az

Phil Hirons, Jr.

Owner turned on and placed with antenna on incoming water pipe. Signal was everywhere on the island. ;D

CadetProgramGuy

I heard another story of one that fell off an EC-3 from Offutt.  Apparently it's signal was so strong, it was pinging though a lead lined vault, 50 feet below ground.

I also heard of sledge hammers being used on it (with permission)before AF picked it up....

Gunner C

Quote from: Gunner C on May 25, 2009, 01:35:49 PM
Buried in mud in a North Carolina salt water swamp after it fell off of a USCG aircraft.
BTW, we located it from the air and directed the GT to it.  The GT was in a state police boat.  One heck of a night.

Trung Si Ma

Trunk of an Alaska State Trooper Patrol car on the Parks Highway between Denali and Talkeetna.
Freedom isn't free - I paid for it

Chief2009

In a Piper Cub that's wings were off and hadn't flown in a very long ime. The ELT's battery was going dead, so the signal strength was going in and out.

DN
"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" — Unknown
Dan Nelson, 1st Lt, CAP
Deputy Commander for Cadets
Illinois Valley Composite Squadron GLR-IL-284

BTCS1*

I heard about that find on the USS Iwo Jima, from a CAP SM with me while onboard the USS Iwo Jima, while talking about how it would be great if someone hit into one while we were there(=find/mission). Been waitin for one all fleet week, hoping NYCG finally gets a mission... ;-)
C/2d Lt. B. Garelick, CAP

BrandonKea

Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on May 25, 2009, 06:37:27 PM
I heard another story of one that fell off an EC-3 from Offutt.  Apparently it's signal was so strong, it was pinging though a lead lined vault, 50 feet below ground.

I also heard of sledge hammers being used on it (with permission)before AF picked it up....

Hadn't heard that one. I have heard of one that fell off an Offutt bird onto a local Cable truck.
Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP