SAFO 180812 W & B calcs for 135 ops

Started by Live2Learn, October 16, 2018, 07:28:53 PM

Live2Learn

https://content.govdelivery.com/attachments/USAFAA/2018/10/16/file_attachments/1090161/SAFO18012.pdf

Most pilots use some sort of W & B calculator.  Several apps in our EFB have this as a built in function.  How many of us confirm we have current moments, arms, weights, etc  in the app when we do our app preflight? 

When was the last time your plane was weighed?  If years ago it's likely to weigh a few pounds more.  Was it painted since the last weighing?  I know it's hard to believe, but some UMO's & LGM's don't believe in periodic reweighing after a new paint job, nor every few years 'just because'.  It costs money, doncha know?! 

True story:  CAP plane with tired paint gets a paint job (on National's dime).  Everyone assumed it would be stripped.  UMO & LGM assumed new paint and old paint weighed the same.  Two BIG (wrong) assumptions.  The plane picked up over 100 lbs.  Years later a sharp maintenance depot noticed the plane didn't have a fresh weight.  Until then, with full fuel, crewed, and mission ready the plane exceeded maximum ramp weights, takeoff weights, and landing weights several times.

etodd

^^^ Great info. And yes, I took the figures from the Squadrons plane logbook, and entered them into Foreflight, to make sure my W&B figures are as accurate as can be.

I would be willing to guess that 95% or more of small GA crashes after take-off from excessive weight, were situations where the pilot didn't bother with W&B.  Saying "its just a little over, and its a cool morning". While putting four 250 lb guys in a C-172 with some baggage in the back. Crazy.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

Live2Learn

Quote from: etodd on October 16, 2018, 08:03:22 PM
^^^ Great info. And yes, I took the figures from the Squadrons plane logbook, and entered them into Foreflight, to make sure my W&B figures are as accurate as can be.

Most updates to an aircraft W & B form are based on calculated weights of equipment additions abd removals.  When was the last time the aircraft was on scales? 

A copy of the most current version is required the aircraft, and the same pls superceded in the Aircraft maintenance log.  It should show equipment added/removed and a (calculated) revised CG, moment, empty weight, & useful load. Or state that the aircraft was weighed.