Main Menu

National commanders

Started by darkmatter, July 17, 2018, 12:42:11 AM

darkmatter

What happens to the national commanders after their tenure is over? Do they stay at nation as advisers to the current commander, or do they go back to their regions? There's no information that I can find on where they go or what their up too it's just like they up and vanish.

FW

Good question.  Former National Commanders (usually) get Life Membership, another DSM, and are appointed to the National Commander's Advisory Committee.  Then they are never heard from again...  >:D

NIN

Quote from: FW on July 17, 2018, 12:59:24 AM
Then they are never heard from again...  >:D

Next time I'm having lunch with General Courter, I'll be sure to remind her to keep a low profile.  :)

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Eclipse

Quote from: darkmatter on July 17, 2018, 12:42:11 AMDo they stay at nation as advisers to the current commander, or do they go back to their regions?

Yes.  They are just like any other members who are done with a Command or assignment, just with a broader scope then
most.

Generally they continue to participate in ES, Encampments, etc., like anyone else.

"That Others May Zoom"

darkmatter

FW is there really a national commanders advisory committee? 

Ozzy

Well there was one that left and started up the US Ranger Corps...  >:D
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
NYWG Encampment 07, 08, 09, 10, 17
CTWG Encampment 09, 11, 16
NER Cadet Leadership School 10
GAWG Encampment 18, 19
FLWG Winter Encampment 19

darkmatter

Quote from: Ozzy on July 17, 2018, 02:21:47 AM

thought we filled him under the do not speak of section of CAP by laws  ;D

Brad

I thought they get stuck making videos we have to watch and rewatch, like Aircraft Ground Handling. :P
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

Slim

Not sure how active Gen Courter is at the moment, having just moved from the east side of Michigan to the west.  She's always been willing to show up at events she's been invited to, but doesn't like to show up unannounced to help avoid any protocol faux pas.
I also believe Gen Vasquez has been teaching at one of the flight academies on the east coast the last couple of years.

Slim

ColonelJack

Quote from: darkmatter on July 17, 2018, 02:25:41 AM
Quote from: Ozzy on July 17, 2018, 02:21:47 AM

thought we filled him under the do not speak of section of CAP by laws  ;D

HWSRN (He Who Shall Remain Nameless)

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

dwb

Quote from: Slim on July 17, 2018, 09:10:23 AM
I also believe Gen Vasquez has been teaching at one of the flight academies on the east coast the last couple of years.

Yup. Gen Vasquez is still an active pilot, and a regular participant in VAWG activities. Gen Anderson is also here, but he's busy in his non-CAP life so his CAP participation is more limited. Both are really good and decent people and I'm glad I get to rub elbows with them on occasion.

@OP, national commanders are just people. They find other ways to participate, usually in less stressful roles that focus on their personal interests.

CAPOfficer

Quote from: darkmatter on July 17, 2018, 02:13:29 AM

Yes, however, they are called the National Advisory Council and they have a coin which they can award to members they feel warrant recognition.

MSG Mac

Many National Commanders have continued to serve.
BG Brookfield went back to CAWG and became a Squadron Commander
BG Cass became a Group Chaplain in Florida
MG Wheless became the Legal Officer for MER and National Legal Officer

Most keep a low profile so as not to distract from the incumbent.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

TheSkyHornet

They write books, go on tours, and work for the CIA...  :-X

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

FW

Quote from: CAPOfficer on July 17, 2018, 01:39:16 PM
Quote from: darkmatter on July 17, 2018, 02:13:29 AM

Yes, however, they are called the National Advisory Council and they have a coin which they can award to members they feel warrant recognition.
To be more serious, many former national commanders (like other subordinate commanders) remain active and still make a difference.  Gen Anderson, and Gen Bowling served distinguished terms on the BoG. Gen Wheless became the National Legal Officer (2nd time), Gen Courter has filled in as Chair of IACE.   All (still living) former National Commanders serve on the National Advisory Committee, and are available to guide the current NC should the need arise.

Spam

Nose down multi ship assault profiles? I think not!
I love the little DVE cloud, though!

NSDQ!
Spam

Johnny Yuma

As part of the recent upgrades to NHQ they renovated the basement of the building to serve as a retirement facility, complete with large cadaver reefers and crematory...
"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven:

CAP_truth

They keep the same pay forever and go out on the speaker tours.
Cadet CoP
Wilson

NIN

Quote from: Johnny Yuma on July 24, 2018, 11:57:53 PM
As part of the recent upgrades to NHQ they renovated the basement of the building to serve as a retirement facility, complete with large cadaver reefers and crematory...

You know that HQ used to be the base hospital, right?

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.