Main Menu

Senior member issues

Started by Sass, September 06, 2016, 04:48:35 PM

Sass

So I wasnt sure where to post/ask this question. I recently over heard a fellow senior member bashing an encampment we worked together with a parent of a cadet. I worked this encampment as well and I while I agreed with some points that the senior member was making I felt to discuss this matter with a parent was unprofessional especially considering after action reports had been filed and we had been assured that the issues brought up were going to be addressed by the encampment commodant for following encampments. This senior member also had their own cadets attending as basics and stated to the parent had her own children been injured she would have sued (there were quite a few preventable injuries that occured but none that required cadets to go home early), nevermind the waivers that had been signed to prevent that. I am torn as to how to handle this. Do I ignore it and treat it as two parents venting or do I approach it as a lack of professionalism and discuss the matter with higher ranking senior member staff? Thanks!

Eclipse

1 - They are students, not basics.

2 - Waivers do not inhibit the filing of lawsuits, nor do they generally mean much, regardless, especially if negligence is alleged.

3 - AARs or formal complaints, are rarely, if ever, shared outside the command or staff chain, so no parent is likely to even be aware of them.

4 - Whether or not an injury is "preventable" is a subjective judgement of an SE, JAG, or Commander.  An IG might have an opinion, but not a say.
Cadets are also kids, and kids get hurt when they do "things".  The only way to prevent many "kid" injuries is to not do "things". You don't indicate the
types of injuries, but the typical encampment "ouchies", even to include broken bones in most cases, aren't likely to be actionable in any meaningful way.

5 - Best to ignore it, or discuss in general terms with your commander whether that sort of discussion is appropriate if
we expect to have parents continue to slow down enough for their kids to leap from their SUV on meeting nights, at which
point he could say something, again without specifics, to address the issue without the personalities involved.

Like it or not, people are entitled to their own opinion, and if what they are saying is generally true, not much you can, or should do about it,
especially if it isn't about you personally.  BTDT.  It's frustrating as heck to invest 6+ months and hundreds of man hours into
an activity that supports 150+ people for chicken scratch fees and then have 4 people complain about something out of your control
as if it negates all other issues, but this is the "all opinions are equal" world we now live in.  (Hint, they aren't).

This is a fine line - stuff happens at activities, it's a statistical certainty, whether it ever happens to you or yours, is a function
of preparation and chance.  Parents generally know and understand this, and being too alarmist may raise unwarranted concerns.

That's why raising 1% cases or discussing too much detail on incidents that can happen anytime large groups or adolescents
gather to do anything more then sit in a circle as unique to CAP isn't fair to CAP.

Lawsuit talk is generally just posturing.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Eclipse on September 06, 2016, 05:03:17 PM
Lawsuit talk is generally just posturing.

Yep,

BTDT, unfortunately there was no follow through. Would have been amusing.

TheSkyHornet

In my opinion, don't worry about it.

It was a conversation between individuals that really didn't concern you, even if it irritated you to be within an earshot of it. As someone who listens to parents, including those also in CAP, who constantly moan about their child's grievances, you need to pick and choose your battles wisely. You'll get burned out fighting every "Okay, no, listen here lady..." opportunity that arises.

If they decide to initiate a lawsuit of some degree, that's their prerogative and legal right to do so. Let the course run itself. If you then have something to contribute as an eye witness, make it known. But really, it's likely just big talk coming from annoyed people seeking a big show for a little nothing.

All that said, I had a cadet from my own unit whom ended up irritating a pre-existing injury at Encampment. She's 17. Now, I told this young lady before she went that she should carry her CAPF 160 or, at the very least, a doctor's note on her at all times as a CYA move so you can pull that out at any point and say "I can't do that per my doctor." The sole medical officer has 90 other people to worry about and loses track very easily. She ended up doing PT, which she's on waiver for at the home unit, and rather than telling anyone, she went along with it and injured her shoulder. Irresponsible of the senior member staff? Absolutely. Lawsuit? I wouldn't go that far.

BillB

Why is this even on the "Tall Tales" thread?
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

DakRadz

Either because the Senior in question was telling tall tales...

Or we've been had!
Quote from: BillB on September 21, 2016, 12:00:15 PM
Why is this even on the "Tall Tales" thread?

1st Lt Raduenz

Holding Pattern

This forum is also listed for AARs.