External Aerospace Education

Started by Pylon, June 21, 2005, 12:18:30 AM

Pylon

Do any of you want to share some of external Aerospace Education programs or activities that your unit does? 

Does anybody know of good external AE ideas that they've seen implemented?
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Cadet Bonnett

Infact Aerospace Education is a big thing in my squadron at least from what i have heard. Try asking you captain to set up glider and orientaion flight training or flights for the weekends. This will help. Help you community learn about aerospace education.
Cadet A1C Christin Bonnett
Registered Peer Mediator
SET, GES Certified
NH Wing

El Campamento del Ala de NH aquí yo vengo.

Pylon

Quote from: Cheergirl on June 21, 2005, 12:36:19 AM
Infact Aerospace Education is a big thing in my squadron at least from what i have heard. Try asking you captain to set up glider and orientaion flight training or flights for the weekends. This will help. Help you community learn about aerospace education.

What you're talking about is Internal Aerospace Education, not External.  External AE deals with educating members of the general public -- not members of CAP. 

CAP's National website says "CAP educational programs help prepare American citizens to meet the challenges of a sophisticated aerospace society and understand its related issues."  How do we meet this challenge?   What types of activities should we be putting together and where, to fulfill this mission?

arajca

CAP's main focus for external AE is through the AEM program which provides materials to teachers to use in schools.

I am using the CAP Model Rocketry Redstone Stage program for both internal and external AE and recruiting. I have a History of Rocketry class set up for tomorrow night (~1 hour) open to the public. Cadets can take the test while visitors can get draf-introduced to CAP. Saturday morning, I have a Build and Launch activity planned. We have the stuff to build all four types as listed in the book and at least one air launcher. Cadets who complete both activities will meet the requirements for the Redstone Stage sign off, and the public gets some interaction with CAP in a fun way.

Pylon

Quote from: arajca
CAP's main focus for external AE is through the AEM program which provides materials to teachers to use in schools.

I am using the CAP Model Rocketry Redstone Stage program for both internal and external AE and recruiting. I have a History of Rocketry class set up for tomorrow night (~1 hour) open to the public. Cadets can take the test while visitors can the indoc-introduced to CAP. Saturday morning, I have a Build and Launch activity planned. We have the stuff to build all four types as listed in the book and at least one air launcher. Cadets who complete both activities will meet the requirements for the Redstone Stage sign off, and the public gets some interaction with CAP in a fun way.

Hmm... very interesting.  I like the idea.  What type of turn-out do you usually have from the public?   How do you advertise it?  Are the people who come mostly parents, friends, or relatives of current members?

whatevah

wells, my wing is starting to reach out to teachers, now.  giving O-Flights to two teachers tomorrow morning.
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

arajca

Quote from: Pylon on June 21, 2005, 12:53:58 AM
Quote from: arajca

I am using the CAP Model Rocketry Redstone Stage program for both internal and external AE and recruiting. I have a History of Rocketry class set up for tomorrow night (~1 hour) open to the public. Cadets can take the test while visitors can the indoc-introduced to CAP. Saturday morning, I have a Build and Launch activity planned. We have the stuff to build all four types as listed in the book and at least one air launcher. Cadets who complete both activities will meet the requirements for the Redstone Stage sign off, and the public gets some interaction with CAP in a fun way.

Hmm... very interesting.  I like the idea.  What type of turn-out do you usually have from the public?   How do you advertise it?  Are the people who come mostly parents, friends, or relatives of current members?
This is the first time I am trying this. If it works like I hope (10+ visitors), I'll do it again. For advertising, I sent press releases to the local paper and radio stations. I'll be sending on to the local access channel as well (once I can find their adddress). School is out, otherwise I'd put flyers up in the middle and high schools.

Westernslope

DDR will fund up to 80% of the cost of Model Rockets for external events.  This is done through your annual DDR Funding request process which takes place in late summer or early fall depending on your Wing.

We are doing a program with students from a Home school group next month.  In addition to AE, we incorporate DDR messages throughout the day.

Offer an AE session to your local school science teacher.  Most teachers welcome it and it is also a great recruiting tool.

arajca

Unfortunetely, most DDR funding needs to spent within 30 miles of an AF base, from my reading of the regs. The nearest AF facility is 80 miles away.

I am finally getting going on reestablishing the unit after waiting almost a year to get the wing commander's approval. We had several conversations about it and it took time for him to understand that I actually have some idea of what I doing with it. The unit here has been deactivated/disbanded for about 15 years.

Cadet Bonnett

Quote from: Pylon on June 21, 2005, 12:47:22 AM

What you're talking about is Internal Aerospace Education, not External.  External AE deals with educating members of the general public -- not members of CAP. 

CAP's National website says "CAP educational programs help prepare American citizens to meet the challenges of a sophisticated aerospace society and understand its related issues."  How do we meet this challenge?   What types of activities should we be putting together and where, to fulfill this mission?
Sir,
What  I  mean is that my squadron has alot of internal aerospace activities, and several exteran. However i believe that there is orientaion flights for CAP MEmbers once every month. And this typically occurs on the weekends i believe.

C
Cadet A1C Christin Bonnett
Registered Peer Mediator
SET, GES Certified
NH Wing

El Campamento del Ala de NH aquí yo vengo.

Pylon

Quote from: Cadet Bonnett on June 22, 2005, 12:21:27 AM
Quote from: Pylon on June 21, 2005, 12:47:22 AM

Sir,
What  I  mean is that my squadron has alot of internal aerospace activities, and several exteran. However i believe that there is orientaion flights for CAP MEmbers once every month. And this typically occurs on the weekends i believe.

C

Riiiight.  So back to the topic - external aerospace activities you all have seen done...    ::)

Bluelakes 13

Libraries.

Libraries are putting together their summer schedules.  Contact the Youth dept organizer and tell them you can do an AE session.  We've done a few.  Word spreads quickly among the library association. We've had requests for presentations from libraries counties away.  We stick with projects rather than lectures.  AEX is a treasure trove. In a 2-hour session you can do Fizzy Rocket, CD Hovercraft, an Air Rocket and a crossword.  Loads of fun.

Some details of our sessions on the IL Wing News Blog  http://ilcapnews.blogs.com/il_cap_news_blog/2005/06/mchenry_county_.html

and Page 5 of our squadron newsletter http://group22.net/mccs/October2005.pdf

flyguy06

AN idea I have always had, but havent had the resouresyet was to put up static displays of the Tuskeegee Arrmen in local high schools in my area. Put up a display with narratives of their history.

Alos, just to get you guys opinion. Ihear a lot aboutgiving orientation flights. Is that AE or is that more flying aviation type stuff. WHen I think of AE, I think of space oriented activities.

Eclipse

O-Flights are part of AE, but obviously overlap in that you need pilots and planes.

"That Others May Zoom"

BlackKnight

Phil Boylan, Maj, CAP
DCS, Rome Composite Sqdn - GA043
http://www.romecap.org/

Pylon

Just bumping this thread back into discussion.  Still a good topic to cover.    ;)

SKYKING607

Airport Tours

Coordinate local airport tours with airport manager and FAA tower manager.  Conduct airport tour on foot pointing out features of the facility and answer questions.

Tours offered to local church groups, scout troops, civic groups, K-12 schools, etc. 

Unit Open Houses

Invite local groups to the unit facility.  Conduct tour of the facility and have an aircraft on display.  Point out features of the aircraft.

Outline CAP's missions and what is done at that unit.

Flight Safety Seminars

Contact the FAA about conducting a flight safety seminar.  Locate a suitable meeting location such as an auditorium or meeting hall.  In some instances, the FAA will publicize the event.  One unit conducted such an event and had 400 in attendance.

Model Rocketry

Have a successful model rocketry program?  Why not publicize and event to expose the local youth to model rocketry?  Have some kits available for purchase and conduct a series of meetings to assemble and then launch their creation.

Discover Flying

Using a cooperative FBO, conduct a "discover flying" workshop/seminar at your local airport.  Advertise the "Discover Flying" event to outline what it takes to become a sport/private/commercial pilot.

A unit in a nearby state did such a program and had 70 persons in attendance.  They followed-up with an "airport tour" program one week later (see above).

Just ideas folks...I'm jumping off my soap box now...
CAWG Career Captain