Is there a speed limit for CAP vehicles with cadets on board?

Started by ascorbate, December 12, 2008, 01:43:04 PM

openmind

Quote from: Pingree1492 on December 13, 2008, 05:48:26 PM
The speed limit on CO highways is 75 MPH.  If National came out with a reg saying I couldn't drive faster than 55 MPH, then that would create a dangerous situation in itself, as I'd be going 20 MPH slower than the surrounding traffic, and just in general creating a mess. 

Actually, that exact situation exists in many parts of the world, including much of Western Europe.  Large Trucks over 7.5 tons (18 wheelers, dump trucks, large box vans, etc.) are limited to 90 KPH (56 MPH) and limited to the Rightmost lane, except for emergencies or passing very slow vehicles like tractors.  (Leftmost lane for the UK, obviously.)  This works just fine, keeping large trucks at a speed less likely to result in serious accidents, and keeping the left lanes free for the faster personal vehicles.

Oh, wait, you meant in the US, with our undertrained drivers.  Heck, No!  It would be a disaster here.

openmind

Eclipse

Quote from: Pingree1492 on December 13, 2008, 05:48:26 PMThe speed limit on CO highways is 75 MPH.  If National came out with a reg saying I couldn't drive faster than 55 MPH, then that would create a dangerous situation in itself, as I'd be going 20 MPH slower than the surrounding traffic, and just in general creating a mess. 

Nice try - 75 is the speed limit, not speed requirement.

"Keeping up with traffic..." doesn't generally fly when you're pulled over for speeding, nor would it fly in this case if NHQ were to adopt a national COV speedlimit.

Pull to the right and move on...

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

Quote from: Eclipse on January 26, 2009, 02:30:55 AM
"Keeping up with traffic..." doesn't generally fly when you're pulled over for speeding, nor would it fly in this case if NHQ were to adopt a national COV speedlimit.
Keep in mind that there are also usually minimum speed limits on interstates as well...

NC Hokie

Quote from: RiverAux on January 26, 2009, 02:34:18 AM
Keep in mind that there are also usually minimum speed limits on interstates as well...

I've seen these but honestly cannot remember ever seeing them in NC or Virginia.  What then?
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

Eclipse

Quote from: RiverAux on January 26, 2009, 02:34:18 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on January 26, 2009, 02:30:55 AM

Yes, in CO its 55.

"That Others May Zoom"

flyguync

Min speed on a controlled access highway is 45 mph.

As far as driving with cadets use the gray stuff between your ears and always ask yourself what would the 12 idiots sitting in the jury box say. DWHUA will get you in more trouble than you can get out of.

RogueLeader

Better to be judged by twelve than carried by six.

I've helped with that quite a bit lately. Five funerals in less than three weeks.  I don't need to hear about a CAP one because they were driving too fast.

Best to not be judged at all and do the right thing, not the fastest.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

lordmonar

Okay.....let's for a moment say that NHQ or some subordinate unit issued a max speed for COV's....how would it be enforced?

Unless you are sitting right seat or got a speed gun....how are you going to prove that SM Leadfoot was buzzing down the interstate at 70 MPH?

So let's just pass another unenforceable regulation.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: lordmonar on January 26, 2009, 03:15:09 AM
Okay.....let's for a moment say that NHQ or some subordinate unit issued a max speed for COV's....how would it be enforced?

As are most safety-related regulations.

1) Self-discipline and adherence to published rules (i.e. core values).

2) Enforcement by others in the vehicle either by direct "slow down" or later filing a complaint.

3) Through disciplinary action should a member receive a speeding ticket in excess of the NHQ COV limit.

4) After the fact in the event of an accident or incident involving a COV where speed can be calculated by whatever means possible, including "How did you make it from 'x' to 'y' in 'z' time frame".

There's a lot of regulations and policies based around safety that are self-policing (until there is a problem) - a lot of them regarding aircraft - but a big one is the inspection of the vehicle before you drive it.

"That Others May Zoom"

afgeo4

A state speed limit doesn't account for safe operating speed limits for particular vehicles.

I believe the most common vehicle in the CAP fleet is the 15 pax van such as the Ford E-350. When fully loaded with 10 cadets and their luggage/gear it is a very heavy vehicle with a high center of gravity. Although the speed limit may be 75 or 85 or in some states none at all (Montana I believe) it does not mean that it's safe to operate the specific vehicle under specific conditions at such speeds.

I know that in the State of New York, where the speed limit is 65, you will easily catch a speeding ticket for doing 60 if the weather conditions are poor. Why? Because it's unsafe for the conditions. Same with these vehicles. Vans, trucks and SUVs need extra care. Especially so when you're loading them with minors. At that time it's not an issue of speed, it's an issue of child welfare.

I do think that CAP should institute a speed limit advisory for CAP vehicles of say 55-65mph.
GEORGE LURYE