Main Menu

2lt or NCO

Started by mikebank, October 05, 2009, 05:24:10 AM

Short Field

The bulk of CAP work gets done by people who have the time to do it.  In this wing, that tends to translate to people who are retired from their first career.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

citizensoldier

I kept my NCO rank.  It is a fair and honest evaluation of who I am.  The cadets work through NCO rank but have no one to show them how to BE one by example.  I may never promote but that is not what I am here for.

CS
Mt. Hood Composite Squadron 1987-1989
SSG Stillwater Composite Squadron 2008-2009
SSGBroken Arrow Composite Squadron FEB 2009-Present
SGT OKARNG 08 APR 1988-23 JUN 2009

lordmonar

Quote from: citizensoldier on October 09, 2009, 05:30:25 PM
I kept my NCO rank.  It is a fair and honest evaluation of who I am.  The cadets work through NCO rank but have no one to show them how to BE one by example.  I may never promote but that is not what I am here for.

CS

Okay now I got to do the warning message.

First off...I retired as an USAF MSgt (E-7) last year.

Second...CAP NCOs are not the same as RM NCOs.  We have to always keep that in mind.  The CAP system is E-1 to E-9 then on to O-1 to O-6.  So unlike the RM where a CMSgt is the top of his game, lord of creation and master of men and beasts........in CAP he is just 1/2 way throught the program.

I see this syndorm all the time in CAP.  RM NCOs expecting cadets to be "just like real NCOs" and taking on the same level of responsibilties (in a cadet context).  And then treating the cadet officers in the same way you would treat a RM officer.  That is a 2d Lt is just some 22 year old scurb out of college who could not find his backside with a map and compass who needs the NCOs to show him the way.

This is one of the reasons why we see so many permanant cadet cheifs.

Now I think it is good that they get a good example of how RM NCO's do buisness but we have to be careful we don't stifle their advancement by expecting too much from them.

Other then that....thanks for serving and thanks for standing up to the plate and passing on your expertise and experince to our cadets.

Semper V!
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

citizensoldier

Quote from: lordmonar on October 09, 2009, 05:39:20 PM

CS

Okay now I got to do the warning message.

First off...I retired as an USAF MSgt (E-7) last year.

Second...CAP NCOs are not the same as RM NCOs.  We have to always keep that in mind.  The CAP system is E-1 to E-9 then on to O-1 to O-6.  So unlike the RM where a CMSgt is the top of his game, lord of creation and master of men and beasts........in CAP he is just 1/2 way throught the program.

I see this syndorm all the time in CAP.  RM NCOs expecting cadets to be "just like real NCOs" and taking on the same level of responsibilties (in a cadet context).  And then treating the cadet officers in the same way you would treat a RM officer.  That is a 2d Lt is just some 22 year old scurb out of college who could not find his backside with a map and compass who needs the NCOs to show him the way.

This is one of the reasons why we see so many permanant cadet cheifs.

Now I think it is good that they get a good example of how RM NCO's do buisness but we have to be careful we don't stifle their advancement by expecting too much from them.

Other then that....thanks for serving and thanks for standing up to the plate and passing on your expertise and experince to our cadets.

Semper V!

Thanks for adding that perspective to the mix.  Our squadron uses me to do a very mild NCO development program to make sure that phase of experience is the best it can be.  I NEVER encourage the cadets to not become officers as the cadet program has more to offer in opportunities.  I am not interested in commanding the squadron but want to focus on what I have to offer to the program.  This is where I find the balance in my life with CAP and everything else that is going on.

CS
Semper Anticus
Mt. Hood Composite Squadron 1987-1989
SSG Stillwater Composite Squadron 2008-2009
SSGBroken Arrow Composite Squadron FEB 2009-Present
SGT OKARNG 08 APR 1988-23 JUN 2009

Flying Pig

If I was still in the military, I MIGHT go the NCO route because my promotions would continue, my military education would continue I wouldnt spend the next 20 years as an E-5.

I would say if you want the full benefit of CAP, go the officer route. 

Cecil DP

CS

You're signing as a SSG (E-6) in the US. Army National Guard and a SSG (E-5) in CAP, you are eligible for a promotion to TSG. to match the National Guard grade.

Disregard read two SSG's not realizing they both referenced CAP affiliations. Missed the SGT (E-5) in the OKARNG.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

SoCalCAPOfficer

Quote from: Nolan Teel on October 05, 2009, 03:22:54 PM
I wish CAP had an NCO Program that allowed promotions... but we would end up with everyone being CMSgt just as we have most SMs being LTC...  I wish we could really evaluate who gets promoted.

I dont know where your squadron is, but Lt.Col is still pretty rare.  It takes many years and a lot of time and effort to make Lt.Col.  So I do not agree that this is an easy task as you suggest.
Daniel L. Hough, Maj, CAP
Commander
Hemet Ryan Sq 59  PCR-CA-458

Lt Oliv

I too had to consider whether I would be an NCO for life or put on bars when I joined up.

Here's the thing.

I was an E-5 in the Navy. And around the time I left, there were a whole bunch of "career E-5's" getting the boot because high year tenure was kicking up. For me, I don't want to be frozen in my paygrade from the Navy. That's just me.

I know Chiefs like to hang on to those anchors any way that they can. But would I want to get frozen in to my enlisted paygrade? Nope.

You joined in June. That means that next month you'll be up for a duty performance promotion. Why not have some fun with it? You were enlisted all that time. Undoubtedly you have seen many ROTC graduates come and go, having to salute someone who didn't know their butt from a hatch on the ship (honestly, how many new ensigns have you seen staring at the bulkhead in confusion trying to find something?).

Before, you had to make rank or else run the risk of not being allowed to retire. You had to make rank to take on new responsibilities.

Now, rank has no bearing on your paycheck. And finally someone might send a salute your way. If you ask me, shipmate, you've earned it.

mikebank

Thanks for the feedback everyone! (:
1st Lt Michael Bankson
Safety Officer
NCR-MO-089
Former EM1, U.S. Navy

JoeTomasone

Quote from: Eclipse on October 05, 2009, 02:13:16 PM
There are currently no regulatory restrictions or connections between grade and command or staff appointment at any level.

There is, I'm just not sure where it is written.

We had a CAP CMSgt (retired USAF) who is very proud of his grade and wanted to keep it, however he also wanted to accept a Sq/CC position.   Despite the Group/CC's pleading to National that he be allowed to command as an NCO, the request was denied cold.   He wound up putting the good of the Squadron first and accepted a promotion to Capt.

Eclipse

Quote from: JoeTomasone on November 16, 2009, 05:19:40 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on October 05, 2009, 02:13:16 PM
There are currently no regulatory restrictions or connections between grade and command or staff appointment at any level.

There is, I'm just not sure where it is written.

There isn't, which won't change whether NHQ will accept an NCO in a Command position, as that's a subjective call.  Considering that you can be a unit or group CC as a SMWOG, I'm impressed that someone at NHQ noticed at all.

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

mikebank

I am going to to go ahead accept the appt to 2lt when my time in service comes in. If my Squadron Commander recommends it of course. He did appointed me as the Squadron Saety Officer. Thanks again for the help.

Mike Bankson
1st Lt Michael Bankson
Safety Officer
NCR-MO-089
Former EM1, U.S. Navy