Main Menu

2008 GLR Staff College

Started by brasda91, February 13, 2008, 05:30:58 PM

brasda91

13-19 July, Grissom Air Reserve Base .  Anybody other than me planning on attending?
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

IceNine

Should the illusive "vacation" that I requested be granted, I shall be joining you...

But apparently when you work for a company with 30 guys worth of work and only 6 guys to do it, there is some issue with one of them taking a well earned week off

I'll let you know closer to time, like the day before or something
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Stonewall

I went to GLR Staff College back in '03.  Had a decent time but there is NOTHING to do out there as far as night life is concerned.  Had a good time but really didn't click with anyone.  Good people, but I was 15 years younger than the youngest person.  Ended up getting Distinguished Grad and "Best Speaker".  Here's a hint, don't do well on your speech and you  won't have to present it at the dining out in front of the region commander and region LO.

The Grissom air show was the weekend RSC started.  That's where I showed up in civilian clothes to the air show and saw the cadet commander of the local squadron wearing a pistol belt and maroon beret in his BDUs.  Asked him about it (playing dumb civilian) and he told me he was a Cadet PJ and went to PJOC.  Later I showed up in uniform to report for RSC.  He didn't seem so cocky at that point.

Good facilities, good instructors and I learned a good amount.  I'm just a bit of a night life person and found none of that.  Rooms weren't the greatest either, but I've slept in a GP medium for 6 months on a cot so I can't complain too much, except that I took leave and had to pay for it, but at least no one shot at me.
Serving since 1987.

SAR-EMT1

Not this year...
Gonna try and use the vacation time towards the Aircrew School at the Emergency Services Academy at Camp Atteberry.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

ctrossen

Quote from: Stonewall on February 23, 2008, 12:22:40 AM
I went to GLR Staff College back in '03.  Had a decent time but there is NOTHING to do out there as far as night life is concerned.  Had a good time but really didn't click with anyone.  Good people, but I was 15 years younger than the youngest person.  Ended up getting Distinguished Grad and "Best Speaker".  Here's a hint, don't do well on your speech and you  won't have to present it at the dining out in front of the region commander and region LO.

I can echo his every sentiment here, having gone back in 2000. I think the next youngest student only had about 10 years on me...

There really isn't much in the way of civilization around Grissom at all. Kokomo is only about 15 minutes to the south, and has all the amenities, including a mall and some good steak joints (an Outback and a Texas Roadhouse, or something similar), plus all the fast food you might want. There should be enough things to do there to keep you busy for a few days.

Whatever you do, *DON'T* head up to Peru. Had one of those "stories from hell you tell for decades to come" there. A group of us there for the weekend (for the old ES TTT) went there in search of a good steak on the recommendation of a local. BAD MOVE! That happened 6 or 7 years ago and I'll still never step foot in the town.

QuoteGood facilities, good instructors and I learned a good amount.  I'm just a bit of a night life person and found none of that.  Rooms weren't the greatest either, but I've slept in a GP medium for 6 months on a cot so I can't complain too much, except that I took leave and had to pay for it, but at least no one shot at me.

YMMV. I went into the GLR RSC knowing that it was a week I'd have to spend to complete Level IV, and that's what it was. I didn't think the curriculum came anywhere close to what it should have been for a school aimed at students who theoretically are field grade officers (or selectees) and operating at something more than a squadron level. But there were a couple of interesting classes floated, and there is the "networking" aspect that can't be ignored.

The new Grissom hotel has been built since, so if you're able to get in there, you should be golden. And this particular RSC has the benefits of being probably the least expensive option out there (I think almost every meal is still included). Just be prepared to be highly encouraged to attend some quaint after-hours activities you might not normally jump at (I skipped the circus - literally, and I'm sure there were some other activities I missed).

And we'll just ignore the attempt by one student who tried to sign me up for an Amway clone.

In all, I wish it had been a much better week of training. Then again, I pretty much feel the same way about all CAP professional development.

As always, take FWIW.
Chris Trossen, Lt Col, CAP
Agency Liaison
Wisconsin Wing

Matt

Quote from: ctrossen on February 25, 2008, 10:19:58 PM
[...]
There really isn't much in the way of civilization around Grissom at all. Kokomo is only about 15 minutes to the south, and has all the amenities, including a mall and some good steak joints (an Outback and a Texas Roadhouse, or something similar), plus all the fast food you might want. There should be enough things to do there to keep you busy for a few days.

Whatever you do, *DON'T* head up to Peru. Had one of those "stories from hell you tell for decades to come" there. A group of us there for the weekend (for the old ES TTT) went there in search of a good steak on the recommendation of a local. BAD MOVE! That happened 6 or 7 years ago and I'll still never step foot in the town.
[...]

Hence the statement?
Kokomo: good.
Peru: bad.
Bunker Hill: joke.
<a href=mailto:mkopp@ncr.cap.gov> Matthew Kopp</a>, Maj, CAP
Director of Information Technology
<a href=https://www.ncrcap.us.org> North Central Region</a>