Where can I get a squadron patch converted to a high quality image format?

Started by Holding Pattern, March 24, 2015, 10:23:01 AM

Holding Pattern

So our squadron patch doesn't translate well to internet. It is the last thing I want/need to round out our website, but I really don't want a ragged scan of a cloth patch on there. Ideas?

NIN

Quote from: Starfleet Auxiliary on March 24, 2015, 10:23:01 AM
So our squadron patch doesn't translate well to internet. It is the last thing I want/need to round out our website, but I really don't want a ragged scan of a cloth patch on there. Ideas?
There are some folks here who are wickedly good at illustrator. Unfortunately that's not me.

But you definitely want to look at having it cleaned up in a way that you can use for other things ( lettethead, t shirts, banners, coffee mugs, etc. ).

And especially so that subsequent patch production runs can be made from a more high-quality image.

Many years ago, my unit in Michigan had a patch that had been made over and over using the previous run of patches as the example/guide. By the time I was in the unit we were at least three generations in.  It was supposed to be an F-15 and an eagle on the patch. The last time they got made, it looked like an f-14 with a single side hydraulic failure and a vulture. ugly. 

ETA: Here is my example

This also gives you an opportunity to make minor ( and I do mean minor ) adjustments to the heraldry that may have gotten  goofed up or lost over the years as the patches have been made by different vendors.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

vorteks

Someone likely provided a digital image to the outfit that makes the patches for your unit. Try to get a copy of that.

Thonawit

I recently updated/redrew our squadron patch. There is really only one way, do it by hand. I used a combination of programs to re-draw ours.

Also when you make revisions/corrections to the patch, have your squadron commander review it for approval.
Regularly contradicts, contradicted CAP Regulations...

LSThiker

Quote from: NIN on March 24, 2015, 11:31:01 AM

Sorry, Nin but that thing looks hideous.  I do not mean just the F-15 posing as an F-14 and the Vulture.  The overall design of the shield, the text, the color, everything.  I always cringe when I see squadron patches like that.    I do not know the history of that patch, but I personally would consider at least getting it into the correct USAF standards. 

NIN

Quote from: LSThiker on March 24, 2015, 01:08:27 PM
Quote from: NIN on March 24, 2015, 11:31:01 AM

Sorry, Nin but that thing looks hideous.  I do not mean just the F-15 posing as an F-14 and the Vulture.  The overall design of the shield, the text, the color, everything.  I always cringe when I see squadron patches like that.    I do not know the history of that patch, but I personally would consider at least getting it into the correct USAF standards.

The unit was deactivated in 1994.

Its corrected.

:)

ETA: BTW, no offense taken. That patch predated my membership in that unit by at least 6-7 years or more, and even pre-dated my membership in CAP by 4-5 years.  During that timeframe in MI Wing, heraldry wasn't exactly a watchword.  All the units in Macomb Group III had similar patches as you can see below:

Selfridge:

Van Dyke:

Here's  link to Ace Browning's Patch Site with the old ones from around the wing (many) and some new:
http://www.incountry.us/cappatches/GLR/GLR.html#MI
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

LSThiker

Quote from: NIN on March 24, 2015, 01:21:33 PM
Selfridge:

Even this one looked a little cartoonish, but the new one looks pretty decent:

Too bad Ace has since left CAP and sold off most of his patch collection (at least from what I have heard).  It is was great resource.  The site is still valuable, but there are a number of dead links.

coudano

I've redone a couple using Illustrator (which is not cheap, but if you can get your hands on it, it's excellent).  Just set whatever you have for source material as the background, and then start tracing over it on a new layer.

The trick is keeping it symmetrical, in particular a  picture of a cloth patch is likely to be warped and bent a little.

You want to use a vector art format so that you can shrink it down or blow it up,
and the key is in setting the details (zoom 6000%)

Also remember that the resolution you can get on a computer screen, or even printed on to a document or a sticker is going to be better than what you get when you send it off to be printed as a patch.

GroundHawg

I hadnt heard he was/did sell off his collection. There are a few that he had that I need.

alamrcn

I'm not dead yet...

I don't want to go on the cart!

Sorry about the broken website links... I changed the file paths awhile back, and never fully finished catching up on the manual HTML editing. If anyone wants to help me out, you can send a list of any broken links you find to me - ace@civilairpatrolpatches.info - I'll try to get to taking care of them sooner than later.

Anyway, I am ABSOLUTELY NOT selling or breaking up the collection. In fact, the collection will be featured at the Minnesota Wing conference next month  :)

-Ace

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

LSThiker

Quote from: alamrcn on March 25, 2015, 08:45:39 PM
I'm not dead yet...

Sorry about the broken website links... I changed the file paths awhile back, and never fully finished catching up on the manual HTML editing. If anyone wants to help me out, you can send a list of any broken links you find to me - ace@civilairpatrolpatches.info - I'll try to get to taking care of them sooner than later.

Anyway, I am ABSOLUTELY NOT selling or breaking up the collection. In fact, the collection will be featured at the Minnesota Wing conference next month  :)

-Ace

My apologies.  I was talking with other historians in the GLR and NCR areas and they mentioned that you have moved on from CAP and sold your collection.  The conversation was brought up after I had tried emailing you a few times about 1.5 years ago and never got a response.  Good to have my information corrected.

alamrcn

The responsibilities of the site were just growing too fast for my abilities and resources. I'm sorry that I have let people down.

E-mails from website visitors with inquires, questions and requests had become too demanding for the time I had available, and I couldn't give them the attention that I really wanted to  :(

I have changed email addresses 2-3 times in the last couple of years. I finally got smart and started using "forwarding addresses" from domains I own that go to the Gmail or whatever I may be using.

And then I had gotten so far behind in updating the website with people's submissions of information, photos, scans, drawings, and other documentation. I actually "dulled" the website down quite a bit to just the cloth uniform items that I have possession of. And I'm not even current with doing that, haha!

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

Slim

Quote from: LSThiker on March 24, 2015, 05:42:41 PM
Quote from: NIN on March 24, 2015, 01:21:33 PM
Selfridge:

Even this one looked a little cartoonish, but the new one looks pretty decent:

Too bad Ace has since left CAP and sold off most of his patch collection (at least from what I have heard).  It is was great resource.  The site is still valuable, but there are a number of dead links.

Bear in mind that the original Selfridge (the upper) and South Macomb squadron patches were all made in a time when things like Vector, Illustrated, and even MS Paint and Corel Draw were but mere glimmers of an idea someone may have had.  The only design tools were someone who may have been good with a pencil and sketching.  A combination of that and making copies of copies.  And we all know that when you make a copy of a copy, they aren't as bright as the original.

I know that both of these patches were in use when I joined in 1983, and as Nin mentioned, predated him joining a couple years before.

Slim

a2capt

I've re-done several for various web, banner projects with Illustrator. If your's isn't anywhere near that "example" .. Just send me one, or a high DPI scan ..

LSThiker

While Illustrator is probably still the best program out there for graphic design, but if you have a Mac, iDraw and Pixelmator are fairly decent programs.  In addition, they are relatively inexpensive, $9 and $15, respectively.  I use these when I help design squadron emblems or other images. 

RickRutledge

I discovered the hard way that changes to the current design require a wholesale change to mirror heraldry guidelines with the guidance from CAPM 39-1. Had a unit patch that was shield and scroll and they wanted to make a change to one of the colors and boom denial from wing/cc with a request to redesign. Could be a good time to evolve and grow the unit brand image...we redesigned my current unit's patch and we saw a revived sense of morale since the members were a part of the design. Made it a contest. Worked great. 

10.7.8. Organizational Patch. Emblem approved by the wing commander for wear by subordinate unit (group, squadron, flight) personnel. Patches designed after the date of this manual will meet the intent of the USAF heraldic guidelines published by the Air Force Historical Research Agency.
Maj. Rick Rutledge
Wing Public Affairs Officer
Oklahoma Wing
Broken Arrow Composite Squadron
Commander
Civil Air Patrol
(Cadet 1996-2001)

NIN

I had a conversation a few days ago at unit meeting with a unit commander from another wing.  He was looking at the squadron patch that a senior was wearing (his "old" unit patch from a PCR unit) and said "We need a squadron patch, I'm going to design ours like this one," pointing at the senior's "old" patch.

Unfortunately, that unit's patch was the "heater and scroll" style, not "disc with arcs".

I pointed out "a squadron's patch is supposed to be the disc with arcs, per the USAF heraldic guidelines."

That didn't make him too happy. He didn't like a disc with arcs. 
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

Av8tion

I actually just created my group's patch and I'm working with one of my squadron commanders to get them a new squadron patch as well. I was wondering if any of you illustration masters would be willing to take a look at both of them when they're done and clean them up into a high-quality version before they are distributed as challenge coins, physical patches, etc...