AF MSgt and CAP Lt Col is First Enlisted Member to Graduate Air War College

Started by Huey Driver, December 17, 2014, 09:06:33 PM

Huey Driver

QuoteAn operations flight chief from the 98th Flying Training Squadron here is the first and only enlisted member to graduate Air War College, an Air Force professional military school educating senior officers to serve as strategic national security leaders.

Master Sgt. David Siemiet, also a lieutenant colonel in the Civil Air Patrol, said his CAP position allowed him to enroll in the AWC, closed to enlisted Airmen since it was established in 1946.

http://www.usafa.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123434395

Congrats on the accomplishment, MSgt/Lt Col Siemiet!
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

Eclipse

AWC is no small accomplishment, regardless, but I find it difficult to believe he is the first and only NCO to complete it.

I know we've discussed on here (and elsewhere) the occasional military NCO with a supposedly "Officer-only" class on their
record and the eyebrows it raised.  Maybe those were SOS or ACSC.

One thing I was wondering - I thought there was a rule that said if you were military and didn't qualify for a given
class, you weren't allowed to take it under the auspices of CAP.  I couldn't find that, though.

"That Others May Zoom"

THRAWN

Quote from: Eclipse on December 17, 2014, 09:18:16 PM
AWC is no small accomplishment, regardless, but I find it difficult to believe he is the first and only NCO to complete it.

I know we've discussed on here (and elsewhere) the occasional military NCO with a supposedly "Officer-only" class on their

One thing I was wondering - I thought there was a rule that said if you were military and didn't qualify for a given
class, you weren't allowed to take it under the auspices of CAP.  I couldn't find that, though.

Used to be that way. Changed somewhere in the period between 01-08.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Huey Driver

QuoteNOTE: ACTIVE-DUTY, GUARD, OR RESERVE SERVICE MEMBERS MAY NOT RECEIVE CREDIT BY THEIR SERVICE FOR PME IF THEY DO NOT MEET THE ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS OF THEIR SERVICE, i.e. an AF SSgt who is also a CAP Captain may not receive credit for Squadron Officer School in their Air Force record. They will, of course, be given credit for the CAP professional development program.
http://www.capmembers.com/cap_university/au-a4-6-students-usaf-dl/

Actually, this isn't what you were wondering about. I think this is what the rule became after the change that THRAWN is referring to.
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

GroundHawg

I agree, it may be the first time the AU knew about it, but surely it isnt the first time this has happened since 1946. If it is, it is long overdue and congrats MSgt! AATW!

RiverAux

I almost always discount any news story that says that something is the "first" or the "largest".... Many times it isn't -- just the first or the largest in recent years.  See this is a lot in regards to SAR mission stories..

NIN

Lt Col Siemiet is an old friend. I'm not surprised.

Also, he has the only AF job I'd ever want.  :)

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

MHC5096

Not quite the first. I graduated from the AWC correspondence program in 2000 while still a Technical Sergeant. I was in a study group with several ANG field grade officers at the 158th Fighter Wing. It was quite a conversation starter to have SOS, ACSC and AWC diplomas hanging on the wall in my office area.
Mark H. Crary
Lt Col, CAP (1990-Present)
DDC-P, CGAUX (2011-Present)
MSgt, USAF (1995-2011)
QM2, USN (1989-1995)

Майор Хаткевич

GroundHawg

Quote from: RiverAux on December 17, 2014, 11:07:42 PM
I almost always discount any news story that says that something is the "first" or the "largest".... Many times it isn't -- just the first or the largest in recent years.  See this is a lot in regards to SAR mission stories..

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/local/2014/12/16/first-puma-found-kentucky-since-civil-war/20487277/

"First in KY since the Civil War"

I submitted trail camera photos from my place in EKY to KDFW last year with a very large female lion in 2010.

Private Investigator

Quote from: MHC5096 on December 18, 2014, 12:57:57 AM
Not quite the first. I graduated from the AWC correspondence program in 2000 while still a Technical Sergeant. I was in a study group with several ANG field grade officers at the 158th Fighter Wing. It was quite a conversation starter to have SOS, ACSC and AWC diplomas hanging on the wall in my office area.

That is impressive.  :clap:

Private Investigator

Quote from: JerseyCadet on December 17, 2014, 09:06:33 PM
QuoteAn operations flight chief from the 98th Flying Training Squadron here is the first and only enlisted member to graduate Air War College, an Air Force professional military school educating senior officers to serve as strategic national security leaders.

Master Sgt. David Siemiet, also a lieutenant colonel in the Civil Air Patrol, said his CAP position allowed him to enroll in the AWC, closed to enlisted Airmen since it was established in 1946.

http://www.usafa.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123434395

Congrats on the accomplishment, MSgt/Lt Col Siemiet!

And that is awesome too.  8)

MHC5096

It actually got a little embarrasing with one Mission Support Group Commander I worked for. He would introduce me at briefings and state that I had more PME completed than most of the officers in the Wing.
Mark H. Crary
Lt Col, CAP (1990-Present)
DDC-P, CGAUX (2011-Present)
MSgt, USAF (1995-2011)
QM2, USN (1989-1995)

JacobAnn

First, second or whatever, it is still an amazing accomplishment.  Congratulations to one and all who have completed AWC.