2010 National Staff College

Started by brasda91, July 02, 2010, 09:22:38 PM

brasda91

Has anyone seen the new application for the 2010 NSC?  What is with the new application and what is with the questions "WHAT DO YOU EXPECT TO GAIN FROM YOUR STAFF COLLEGE EXPERIENCE?  HOW WILL THIS BENEFIT CAP?"

Is National trying to make us justify our reason for wanting to attend NSC?  Is it not enough that some of us just have the desire to complete all 5 levels?  The first thought that comes to mind is that if I don't provide the perfect answer, they won't accept my application regardless if it is the first one on the desk.  Sounds like long gone are the days when CAP was "user-friendly" and you submited an application for a school and was accepted without any kind of justification.

Do they have soooo many applicants that they are trying to use the application as a filter?  If so, why not just say "First come, first serve?  We'll take the first 50 applications."  And if they have more applicants than they can take, offer the class twice a year.

I see CAP becoming more politically-correct, trying to make us into an organization we aren't, trying to force active duty standards for schools and promotions on us.  The very reasons why our retention rate is so low.  I see it real close to home...
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

RiverAux

Seems like pretty standard stuff, though I've usually seen that sort of question on quizes taken at the beginning of some training session or conference and often you get some sort of post-meeting evaluations that would ask similar questions.

I think you're blowing it way out of proportion. 

brasda91

Quote from: RiverAux on July 02, 2010, 09:44:25 PM
Seems like pretty standard stuff, though I've usually seen that sort of question on quizes taken at the beginning of some training session or conference and often you get some sort of post-meeting evaluations that would ask similar questions.

I think you're blowing it way out of proportion.

PM sent.
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

AdAstra

This is a standard question on such applications, so I don't see why it ruffles your feathers. NSC has used a similar application form for about five years. Before that, they used CAPF 17, which included in Block 22: Outline Personal and Professional Goals in CAP. Not that much different.

This is not a make-or-break question that could disqualify you. As a NSC seminar advisor for the last six years, I find it interesting to read the answers from my seminar participants. And in the first hour of seminar time, I make a point of talking about the answers during the introduction.

If you are worried, why not cut-and-paste the "school answer" in the NSC flyer: National Staff College will provide you with leadership and management tools to help you better execute your executive-level responsibilities – in CAP and in your own career. Leading volunteers is an especially unique challenge, requiring CAP leaders to balance their careers and family needs with the needs of their units and CAP's missions. NSC can help you enhance your leadership abilities.

I've never seen anyone answer "because I have a week free time and $750-1000 extra cash to burn." To be blunt, the common answer (often unstated) to this question is "to complete Level V." Is that necessarily a bad thing? But is the goal of Level V the Wilson Award or the opportunity to learn, grow, and better serve CAP at the executive level? According to CAPR 50-17, it is the latter.

I'm more intrigued by the following question on the NSC application, to be completed by the Wing Commander approving the application: WHAT DO YOU EXPECT THIS MEMBER TO ACHIEVE FROM HIS/HER NATIONAL STAFF COLLEGE EXPERIENCE? Remember, he/she just read your answer to the previous question....

Perhaps I'll get to meet you at NSC this year?
Charles Wiest

brasda91

Quote from: AdAstra on July 03, 2010, 07:20:57 PM
This is a standard question on such applications, so I don't see why it ruffles your feathers. NSC has used a similar application form for about five years. Before that, they used CAPF 17, which included in Block 22: Outline Personal and Professional Goals in CAP. Not that much different.

I get the feeling members are going to be denied a slot if they don't have the "right" answer.  Maybe I'm taking this wrong because of the "RM" attitude my region has towards Lt Col promotions.  (We can talk offline more on that if you need background).  NSC is a requirement to complete Level 5, regardless of what anyone's goals are.

But is the goal of Level V the Wilson Award or the opportunity to learn, grow, and better serve CAP at the executive level? According to CAPR 50-17, it is the latter.

I welcome the ability learn and grow, but I don't plan to serve in an executive level at National.  Is there anything wrong with that?  I enjoy working at the squadron level.  I desire to complete all the PD levels.  I also understand I'll probably, most likely, never make Col.  That's ok with me.

Perhaps I'll get to meet you at NSC this year?

I truly hope so.
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

flyboy53

I wouldn't read anything into the question, it is pretty standard.

If someone doesn't get to go to NSC, it isn't because of that question. It's more a matter of available space. You try to line up a class and then people don't show at the last minute, which is what is sad for people who want to go and then are cheated of the opportunity at the last minute.

Also, questions on the application are designed to determine your goals and aspirations while at the same time measuring academic ability. You do have goals, right?

NSC is an excellent experience. It is academically intensive and rewarding. You network and make friends while at the same time work together on an assigned project that ultimately goes to the National Commander. So be prepared, there's a lot of reading, class time and after duty hours-related work. I think my group worked until 10 p.m. several nights.

Then, when you graduate, be prepared to take what you learned and return to your unit as a mentor.

You won't regret it.

Chappie

Quote from: flyboy1 on July 09, 2010, 10:19:53 PM
<snip>

NSC is an excellent experience. It is academically intensive and rewarding. You network and make friends while at the same time work together on an assigned project that ultimately goes to the National Commander. So be prepared, there's a lot of reading, class time and after duty hours-related work. I think my group worked until 10 p.m. several nights.

Then, when you graduate, be prepared to take what you learned and return to your unit as a mentor.

You won't regret it.

Having been a student in '01 and then serving on staff in '06, '07, and '08 I could not have summed up the NSC experience any better than this.  :clap:
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

CAPSGT

I look at that question on the application as something to get applicants thinking about their current and future roles within the organization and how they can best contribute.  When I attended NSC last year, there was a great deal of emphasis on thinking outside the box to redefine what we as an organization do in an ever-changing world. 

While a question like this may be less applicable at the technician level, where members are primarily learning how to do things in the organization at a local level, the executive level is all about how to best maintain and grow the organization as a whole.
MICHAEL A. CROCKETT, Lt Col, CAP
Assistant Communications Officer, Wicomico Composite Squadron

brasda91

Also, questions on the application are designed to determine your goals and aspirations while at the same time measuring academic ability. You do have goals, right?
Well after 17 years in CAP, I have some idea of goals.  ::)  Not mention being the squadron commander of an aggressive, goal-oriented active unit.  So my goals and aspirations in CAP are more localized for my squadron.

Anybody applying for NSC should already have a good idea of being a mentor.
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

flyboy53

Quote from: brasda91 on July 14, 2010, 07:47:50 PM
Well after 17 years in CAP, I have some idea of goals.  ::)  Not mention being the squadron commander of an aggressive, goal-oriented active unit.  So my goals and aspirations in CAP are more localized for my squadron.

Anybody applying for NSC should already have a good idea of being a mentor.

So, you're a "where the rubber hits the road" type of person? Then just do it.

People join this organization for the same reasons they might look at joining the military. They are in search of a goal, to achieve some level of recognition or some sense of fulfillment by belonging. If your personal assessment fits any one or a combination of all three goals, then it's worthwhile to do. If not, I'd be the first one to tell you that you're wasting your time and money.

Completion of NSC -- if you take what you learn seriously -- makes you a better CAP officer and exposes you to a more stratgic perspective of the organization.

Afterall, everyone of us adds value to this organization, and through our membership we add a value to ourselves and to those we lead or mentor.

And remember, that we all have personal goals that are many times unstated. I was a cadet starting in the 60s and never got anywhere close to a Mitchell or Spaatz Award, so for me getting the Wilson ranked up there as an extremely important personal goal because it represented a long journey that began when I traded cadet stipes for senior member stripes in 1971.

I only wish that the achievement had the same fanfare as a Spaatz, but that's the award not the NSC. NSC graduation ranked up there with Department of Defense Information School that I'm a proud alum.

CAP is a family experience for me. My wife had no aspirations of flying or completing Level II, but an interesting thing happened to her. As I have agressively worked at being an observer and even serving as an initial instructor and skills evaluator, my wife took a greater interest and became an observer. As I worked hard to achieve Level 5, my wife completed her Loeing. Do you know what it's like being able to talk airplanes with your wife?

So, my point is, if you take the NSC training and use it to reach just one person, it's so worthwhile. You won't believe, however, who else may benefit.

You won't regret it.

jimmydeanno

So, who's going?  I'm just curious as to whom I might be able to corrupt this year. 

I went last year, had a great time, met good people, and apparently did a good enough job that I get to go back as a seminar advisor.

It could be interesting, last year there were some former region commanders and such in the class - I wonder what that type will think of having a 20 something year-old Major as their advisor :D
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Al Sayre

I plan to be there, but I don't think you can do a whole lot of corrupting.

"Boy, there ain't much you can teach me about suckin' eggs..."    >:D  >:D >:D
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Tim Medeiros

I'll be there, nothing like probably being the youngest person there.
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Tim Medeiros on August 25, 2010, 04:52:37 PM

Lol, I remember you as a cadet at HGA05 Sir.

Nothing like Spaatz cadets hitting major before the facial hair stops growing in, eh?

MSG Mac

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on August 25, 2010, 05:17:00 PM

Lol, I remember you as a cadet at HGA05 Sir.

Nothing like Spaatz cadets hitting major before the facial hair stops growing in, eh?

I know of a 21 year old CAP Major
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Phil Hirons, Jr.

I can't think of a path that gets a 21 year old to Major.

How was this accomplished?

ßτε

The only way I can see to be a 21 year old Major is if one is appointed a group commander.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: bte on August 25, 2010, 06:14:46 PM
The only way I can see to be a 21 year old Major is if one is appointed a group commander.

^ Which would mean they rolled in as a FO Squadron commander, did their time, became a Capt at 21, and got moved to Group.

Still, that's just insane. Nothing against people deserving the grade, but you'd think there is someone in a group that has a bit more experience? Even with a full 8 years as a cadet/FO, I bet there's more qualified folks, especially with time on the SM side.

The above, of course only applies if the Major is indeed now the Group CC.

MSG Mac

Cadet received his Spaatz Award and then turned SM. Was appointed a captain, and then the Wing Commander appointed him as a Group Commander with the grade of Major. Happened in PAWG about 12-15 years ago.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

HGjunkie

Quote from: MSG Mac on August 25, 2010, 09:15:48 PM
Cadet received his Spaatz Award and then turned SM. Was appointed a captain, and then the Wing Commander appointed him as a Group Commander with the grade of Major. Happened in PAWG about 12-15 years ago.
::)

[/sarcasm]
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

jimmydeanno

Last year, my wife and I had that problem.  We actually found that many of the students found it quite refreshing to see.  It certainly wasn't a detriment.

Plus, I assume that we're fairly close in age.  Maybe you'll end up in my seminar.  Could be interesting, no?
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

MSG Mac

Quote from: HGjunkie on August 26, 2010, 12:01:42 AM

[/sarcasm]

Major Tim Cheslock-PAWG
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Tim Medeiros

Quote from: jimmydeanno on August 26, 2010, 01:33:58 AM

Last year, my wife and I had that problem.  We actually found that many of the students found it quite refreshing to see.  It certainly wasn't a detriment.

Plus, I assume that we're fairly close in age.  Maybe you'll end up in my seminar.  Could be interesting, no?
Could be very interesting, hopefully I will be in your seminar.
1577/2811

IceNine

:clap:
Quote from: USAFaux2004 on August 25, 2010, 06:25:02 PM
Quote from: bte on August 25, 2010, 06:14:46 PM

^ Which would mean they rolled in as a FO Squadron commander, did their time, became a Capt at 21, and got moved to Group.

Still, that's just insane. Nothing against people deserving the grade, but you'd think there is someone in a group that has a bit more experience? Even with a full 8 years as a cadet/FO, I bet there's more qualified folks, especially with time on the SM side.

The above, of course only applies if the Major is indeed now the Group CC.

Walk softly... 

Similar situations exist not far from your front door.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

FW

Quote from: MSG Mac on August 26, 2010, 02:01:06 AM

[/sarcasm]

Major Tim Cheslock-PAWG

It's now Lt Col Tim Cheslock (Dr. Cheslock for those who know him) ;D
One of CAP's many true success stories.

MSG Mac

Quote from: FW on August 27, 2010, 02:57:10 AM
Quote from: MSG Mac on August 26, 2010, 02:01:06 AM

[/sarcasm]

Major Tim Cheslock-PAWG

It's now Lt Col Tim Cheslock (Dr. Cheslock for those who know him) ;D
One of CAP's many true success stories.

I did say it was 12-15 years ago.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

jimmydeanno

The 2010 National Staff College is now over.  The school graduated 70 students representing ~35 of the wings in the organization.  It was a tremendous success.

See y'all next year!

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: jimmydeanno on October 23, 2010, 03:43:38 AM
The 2010 National Staff College is now over.  The school graduated 70 students representing ~35 of the wings in the organization.  It was a tremendous success.

See y'all next year!

Unless someone comes in from the Okinawa or Misawa overseas squadrons for NSC 2011, I might wind up being the one who traveled the farthest to get to Maxwell AFB for NSC next year - 6813 miles (on the great circle route) from Kwajalein, Marshall Islands! (Of course, that's if I get selected... :D)
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Tim Medeiros

Overall it was a good course, I enjoyed it.

Though I did do a facepalm when I realized that I'm still younger than half the average age of the students.  I will be younger than that for another 5ish years.

/facepalm

Though, it was funny when people thought that the other 20-something was the youngest student :P
1577/2811