Main Menu

Questions for a newb

Started by SuperCAP, May 23, 2013, 05:59:30 AM

SuperCAP

Ok so I just signed up for CAP, Ive been to only a few meetings but I have recieved my CAP ID number and Im wondering what the next steps are that I need to complete.  Im a Senior member and am a pilot (ATP certificate).  My squadron meets twice a month and theyve been helpful on the few occasions that Ive been able to attend but for various reasons I cant always make it to the meetings and would like some help getting the ball rolling with my involvement in CAP. I just dont know where to start and am looking for some guidance.  So here's some questions:

1-Cadet Protection paperwork, I think Ive got to do this before anything else, where do I go to complete this?
2-Pilot Checkout, What steps do I need to complete to be checked out in a CAP aircraft?  (and whats the difference between CAP Pilot and Mission Pilot?)
3-Mission Scanner, I believe I need to become a Scanner before I can become a Mission Pilot, whats required to become a Scanner and how do I go about that?

Again, Im very new to CAP and dont really know much at all so youll have to start with the basics and I wont understand all the codewords and acronyms.  Thanks in advance!

a2capt

Your unit -should- be guiding you..

CPPT is online, available via eServices "Learning Management System".

Pilot Checkout, that's a Form 5 checkride. The absolute best place to get exactly what you need is CAPR 60-1 -and- ultimately, the check pilot you will be using, as they will know of any Wing supplements that may add to what 60-1 says, and that really should be starting at your unit via the ES or Operations Officer.

Mission Scanner is very similar to the above, your unit ES officer should get you started, however first things, you need OPSEC and GES, again, both available in the Learning Management System. Once you have the GES (General Emergency Services) out of the way, you can get the Aircrew Task Guide from the publications section, and take a look at the section on Mission Scanner, and it will lists the steps that need to be completed, and the knowledge that needs to be demonstrated to get the sign offs.

But the best answer will be from your unit or group/wing as that's who signs it off, and needs to be satisfied with with what your presenting.

MacGruff

Thanks to both EMT-83 and a2capt. I'm in a similar position to the original poster and was wondering about the requirements to become a Mission Observer. Looking in eServices, I was not clear if I needed GES first, or could start on some of the classes for Mission Scanner which are currently offered in my squadron. I have a clearer understanding of it now.

P.S. - I am not a pilot so that part does not impact me..
I already completed the Level 1 training and sent it in to NHQ...

EMT-83

GES is required for any ES training. Go to eServices / Ops Quals and look up the SQTR for each position. A Google search for CAP aircrew task guide will provide lots of info.

EMT-83

Quote from: MacGruff on May 23, 2013, 02:34:08 PM
... I already completed the Level 1 training and sent it in to NHQ...

Your squadron needs to submit a Form 11 after everything is completed. You can't submit your own.

Storm Chaser

Quote from: a2capt on May 23, 2013, 07:18:16 AM
CPPT is online, available via eServices "Learning Management System".
After you complete the online portion of CPPT (under Cadet Protection in eServices), you will need to bring the results of your test and discuss a CPPT case study with your commander, deputy commander or designated officer. The link posted by EMT-83 for Level 1 has everything you need to do to complete Level 1. After you do that, you'll need General Emergency Services (GES) CAPT 116, as stated by a2capt, before you can get started with Mission Scanner or other ES training. You can access training materials and the test by clicking on the following links:

You may also want to get started with the following ICS training (click on the links for access):

• IS-100 (needed for Mission Scanner and Mission Pilot)
  • IS-700 (needed for Mission Scanner and Mission Pilot)
  • IS-200 (needed for Mission Pilot)

Level 1 (Intro to CAP Safety, OPSEC, CPPT, Equal Opportunity and  Foundations), GES, IS/ICS courses listed above, and the CAP Form 5 pilot checkout should be enough to get you started. If you're unable to attend many meetings, do everything you can do online first.

MacGruff

Quote from: EMT-83 on May 23, 2013, 04:29:18 PM

Your squadron needs to submit a Form 11 after everything is completed. You can't submit your own.

Maybe I did not explain the situation correctly. I turned in all the CPPT and Level 1 things in to the squadron. They filled out a form and gave it back to me to scan and email in to NHQ. Maybe that's Form 11???  The PDO signed it, as did I. the only reason I was involved is that the squadron does not apparently have a scanner, so the PDO asked me if I would be willing to do so - which I said Yes to.

Storm Chaser

Quote from: MacGruff on May 23, 2013, 06:41:43 PM
Maybe I did not explain the situation correctly. I turned in all the CPPT and Level 1 things in to the squadron. They filled out a form and gave it back to me to scan and email in to NHQ. Maybe that's Form 11???  The PDO signed it, as did I. the only reason I was involved is that the squadron does not apparently have a scanner, so the PDO asked me if I would be willing to do so - which I said Yes to.

As long as the training was completed, documented in a CAPF 11, and signed by your unit PDO, that is perfectly acceptable.

MacGruff

I checked when I got back home last night, and indeed it was a CAPF-11 that I was given. I scanned and emailed it in to NHQ.

Any idea how long it takes them to log it in? I do not yet see it in my profile on e-services - but then it's only been a couple of days...

Storm Chaser

It usually takes a few days; I would give it at least a week, especially with Monday being a holiday.

EMT-83

Quote from: MacGruff on May 23, 2013, 06:41:43 PM
Quote from: EMT-83 on May 23, 2013, 04:29:18 PM

That does raise a couple of red flags; but that's on the squadron, not the new member.

Eclipse

Quote from: EMT-83 on May 24, 2013, 03:00:39 PMThat does raise a couple of red flags; but that's on the squadron, not the new member.

+1 - I've heard this a few times myself, worse from Unit CC's who have been issued equipment for this express purpose.

These days, anyone with a Smartphone, or an iPhone has a scanner.

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

Except I've had people explicitly complain about a phone picture, of a document.

Except the NTSB, which was absolutely happy that they got what they wanted so quickly. Go figure.

Eclipse

Quote from: a2capt on May 24, 2013, 03:26:16 PM
Except I've had people explicitly complain about a phone picture, of a document.

Except the NTSB, which was absolutely happy that they got what they wanted so quickly. Go figure.

Imagine that.

You don't have to send it as a picture.  There are apps and services for all platforms that allow you to "scan" using a camera (which is all a scanner really is) and convert
to a .pdf or other format on the fly.

GDrive just updated their mobile apps this week to do exactly that for free.  Works really well, too.

"That Others May Zoom"