Main Menu

Aircraft Covers

Started by DG, October 25, 2008, 02:35:50 PM

DG

Our Squadron Aircraft Manager (designated as OIC in our Wing) announced Winter Ops last week, and now requires aircraft covers, until spring. 

The aircraft covers include the two wing covers, two horizontal stabilizer covers, a cabin cover, and an engine blanket secured on the top of the engine cowling.

As an informal survey, how many other CAP aircraft are using aircraft covers?

Eclipse

None in my Midwestern wing that I am aware of, though we have a good percentage of hangered a/c.

I understand the sentiment, but this sounds to me like a really bad idea.

I'm assuming you're talking about something like this?

Or even this?

I'm not a pilot, but most of my units are on airports, and I can't remember ever seeing more than something like this: 

This looks like an outstanding opportunity to break static whips and antennas, not to mention the danger
of these blowing off onto a taxiway, etc.

And what do you do with them once you take them off? Any early-morning start is going to provide you with a lump of wet cover, no matter what the forecast for the rest of the day.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Looks like these aren't cheap, either.

Did Wing provide them?

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

Use cabin covers, but it doesn't get all that cold or icy very often where I'm at. 

SJFedor

Quote from: DG on October 25, 2008, 02:35:50 PM
Our Squadron Aircraft Manager (designated as OIC in our Wing) announced Winter Ops last week, and now requires aircraft covers, until spring. 

The aircraft covers include the two wing covers, two horizontal stabilizer covers, a cabin cover, and an engine blanket secured on the top of the engine cowling.

As an informal survey, how many other CAP aircraft are using aircraft covers?

Haha. I ALMOST miss that stuff, DG!

They're using a cabin cover similar to the 3rd picture above, plus just wing covers which roll on and bungee underneath, elevator/horiz stab covers which just slip on, and a custom made fleece/canvas type blanket that goes on the cowling. They also have tannis heaters installed on a thermostat box which activate when the temperature drops below a certain point (40 degrees I believe).

As long as you're careful in taking them off, they're really not that bad. As a cadet going through flight training, then as a CAP pilot, i had to take them off and put them off many times. Found a decent system that works for me. Once they were off, we stored them in the building until our return, when we'd put them back on. Usually took me less than 10 min to get them off, about 10-15 to get them back on.

They may seem like a pain in the butt, but they keep the aircraft mission ready. Nothing worse then heading to the airport for a 3am search in really cold temps to find the aircraft frosted over. Plus the tannis heater makes starting the engine so much easier on really cold days.  ;D

But no, DG, we don't have to deal with that stuff down here in TN  :P

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

_

As far as I know MD wing doesn't have a requirement for special covers on the wings or tail.  The flight school at the airport we meet at do have the wing and tail covers similar to what is seen on the wings of the plane in the middle photo.  As mentioned by Fedor, even if you don't get snow you can get frost pretty easily.  The local flight school was finding there were loosing quite a bit of flying time in the morning waiting for the frost to melt or evaporate off of the plane.  In our area we always have high humidity because of the Chesapeake Bay so even though we don't get a whole lot of snow, during the winter we get frost very often.

bosshawk

As for CAWG, I don't believe that there is any reg that requires an aircraft cover.  For the most part, CA doesn't have bad enough wx in the winter to require full aircraft covers, but I have seen them once of twice.  A number of guys who have experimental aircraft will use a prop cover to protect their composite props from the weather.

I have a full cabin cover for my Bonanza and I can tell you for sure just how much it protects the windows.  All of my windows are original (43 yrs) except the windshield and pilots side window.  Both of those were replaced for esthetic reasons.

The CAP 206 that I normally fly has a full cabin cover and it really shows in the clearness of the windows.

While it is true that an early morning departure usually results in a bunch of soggy canvas, each cover has a bag that will hold the mess until you have time to spread it out and dry it.  Sure beats waiting for the sun to melt the frost or snow.

BTW: the individual panels that fit into the windows from the inside are good for protecting the interiors of the aircraft and the avionics, but they do nothing good for the outsides of the windows.

Take 10 minutes to fold up your cover or a few minutes to spread it out to dry: the protection for the airplane is worth it.

My favorite saying: the only time you should be in a hurry in an airplane is when it is on fire.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

isuhawkeye

here in the midwest where it gets really cold...
my old sq used a blanket over and around the cowl.  This maintained warmth from engine block heaters.

covers were left in the hangar during flight.

I can not recall any damage done during removal of these covers

sparks

Wing covers etc. were common in Alaska where indoor accommodations aren't always an option. They are less frequently used in the lower 48. Any operation that has to launch aircraft many times a day really needs a hanger. Full aircraft or just wing covers aren't a practical solution in those cases.  Since CAP falls into the infrequent use category that might be the only recourse in cold climates where hangers  aren't available. I'd be concerned about pilots being in a rush and not taking care when removing covers.   

CAP doesn't mandate putting aircraft into hangers but strongly encourages  it To reduce thermal damage to equipment and reduce the potential for theft and tampering. Of course NHQ has no money for that so the cost is the responsibility of the wing, group or squadron. Some locations assess a fee to pilots each month to help pay the cost. The best solution is to have the airport donate the hanger or reduce rent in exchange for services provided such as grounds maintenance (mowing grass, painting etc.