Main Menu

ABU-style BBDU?

Started by hamburgee, October 08, 2017, 01:24:08 PM

hamburgee

Hey everyone - with us going through our transition to ABUs, do you think we'll be transitioning the blue BDU to an all-blue corporate ABU, instead of sticking with the old BDU-style ones? Has anyone else had this thought? Has this been discussed at meetings regarding ABUs? I'd like to hear what other people think about it.

Edit for emphasis- this would just change the construction of the BBDU to match the ABU (pretty much just the extra pockets). It wouldn't change the colors of the BBDU or anything.

Pace

I doubt changing the corporate uniform will happen since it is designed to be more distinctive from mama blue and since the new cloth insignia background more closely aligns with the corporate BDUs. Anything is possible, but most of us wearing this uniform don't want to have to purchase a new uniform.
Lt Col, CAP

NIN

The extra pockets really are more function than "ABU-ness." (and really, its just the lower leg pockets + sleeve pen pockets)

If there's BBDUs that have those features and one of my guys showed up wearing them, I probably wouldn't even bat an eye. Might not even notice it unless I did an in-ranks inspection. :)

The general pocket & collar config are such that those items are fairly minor cosmetic things.  Its not like someone showing up in solid Blue ACUs where the collar (mandarin) and pocket configurations (slant chest pockets, no lower pockets, sleeve pockets with velcro) are radically different than than the "BDU" config.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Pace

Oh ok. When I read ABU-style blue BDU, this is what popped into my head (more the pattern than the cut):
Lt Col, CAP

Nick

I'm with Nin. The difference from old BDUs to ABUs is a pen pocket on the sleeve and an extra pocket on the pant leg. Everything else is identical to the BDU. I wouldn't even notice it if I glanced at someone's BBDU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nicholas McLarty, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing Staff Guy
National Cadet Team Guy Emeritus

Jester

Quote from: NIN on October 08, 2017, 03:12:40 PMIts not like someone showing up in solid Blue ACUs where the collar (mandarin) and pocket configurations (slant chest pockets, no lower pockets, sleeve pockets with velcro) are radically different than than the "BDU" config.

If that were an option I'd consider BBDUs.

Maybe if the AF goes OCP I can see that being the next step but I doubt it.

Nick

Yep that, combined with the change to dark blue insignia and namestrips, would convince me to go to the BBDU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nicholas McLarty, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing Staff Guy
National Cadet Team Guy Emeritus

CAPLTC

Quote from: hamburgee on October 08, 2017, 01:24:08 PM
Hey everyone - with us going through our transition to ABUs, do you think we'll be transitioning the blue BDU to an all-blue corporate ABU, instead of sticking with the old BDU-style ones? Has anyone else had this thought? Has this been discussed at meetings regarding ABUs? I'd like to hear what other people think about it.

Edit for emphasis- this would just change the construction of the BBDU to match the ABU (pretty much just the extra pockets). It wouldn't change the colors of the BBDU or anything.

If any change is to be made, CAP should align the BBDU to be identical with the USCG and USPHS blue uniform.
"Find the enemy that wants to end this experiment (in American democracy) and kill every one of them until they're so sick of the killing that they leave us and our freedoms intact." -- SECDEF Mattis

vorteks

Quote from: CAPLTC on October 12, 2017, 01:51:49 AM
If any change is to be made, CAP should align the BBDU to be identical with the USCG and USPHS blue uniform.

HUH? Why do we need to share an identity with those orgs?

N6RVT

Except the people who have to wear that - myself included - universally hate it.

CAPLTC

Quote from: vorteks on October 12, 2017, 02:11:39 PM

HUH? Why do we need to share an identity with those orgs?

It is a US-issued standard, Barry-compliant uniform.
The CAP blue Vanguard uniform can be (and is) made anywhere.
USCG and USPHS blue BDU is made in the US to much higher quality standards.
That and you can buy them used inexpensively.
"Find the enemy that wants to end this experiment (in American democracy) and kill every one of them until they're so sick of the killing that they leave us and our freedoms intact." -- SECDEF Mattis

Spam

Every time someone throws the blue BDU hate (which is not universal, at all) I have to grin and remember George Peppard and Jan Michael Vincent really rocking their blue fatigues in "D-nation Alley" (1977). Man I loved that as a cadet.

They just made Paul Winfields security NCO look so mundane in his Class Bs...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXzVzfXFiS0&index=19&list=PLvS6K39Zj69VufzecSA437GKe9TECgMi7

Cheers
Spam

tribalelder

M39-1 notwithstanding, that currently useless dosimeter slot inside the left upper pocket can be carefully removed. Expertly sewn to the upper left sleeve it becomes a pen pocket. Expertly sewn, it looks like it belongs--AND IT HELPS US DO OUR JOB.

While you are at it, split one of the pants cargo pockets with a seam under the rear pocket pleat.  Your glasses/sunglasses/safety glasses case won't flop over sideways to the pocket bottom.

WE ARE HERE ON CAPTALK BECAUSE WE ALL CARE ABOUT THE PROGRAM. We may not always agree and we should not always agree.  One of our strengths as an organization is that we didn't all go to the same school, so we all know how to do something different and differently. 
Since we all care about CAP, its members and our missions, sometimes our discussions will be animated, but they should always civil -- after all, it's in our name.

PHall

Quote from: tribalelder on October 15, 2017, 05:42:15 PM
M39-1 notwithstanding, that currently useless dosimeter slot inside the left upper pocket can be carefully removed. Expertly sewn to the upper left sleeve it becomes a pen pocket. Expertly sewn, it looks like it belongs--AND IT HELPS US DO OUR JOB.

While you are at it, split one of the pants cargo pockets with a seam under the rear pocket pleat.  Your glasses/sunglasses/safety glasses case won't flop over sideways to the pocket bottom.

I direct you to Paragraph 1.2.3.5 of CAPM 39-1 regarding your alterations.

Eclipse

Quote from: PHall on October 15, 2017, 06:29:46 PM

That's pretty funny.

"That Others May Zoom"

foo

Quote from: PHall on October 15, 2017, 06:29:46 PM

I believe you were headed off at the pass with "M39-1 notwithstanding...".