Interesting note about the F-14 Tomcat

Started by Stonewall, March 25, 2009, 07:55:30 PM

Stonewall

The F-14 was notorious for the amount of crashes it had during development. Obviously, it's a bit of infamy you'd like to avoid, but it happens. The Osprey is a recent example of troubleshooting the hard way. It's worth mentioning that all incidents involving that were USMC birds (someone correct me if I'm wrong here).

I remember seeing some documentary that stated over 100+ F-14s lost in testing, however, this is my favorite:

Tomcat #5 assigned to Point Mugu for armament trials, had the rather dubious honor of shooting itself down on June 20, 1973. A AIM-7E-2 Sparrow missile pitched up moments after being launched, striking the Tomcat. The crew ejected safely. 

How about that?  Launch a Sparrow and it turns around and attacks you.  Now that's just rude.
Serving since 1987.

RogueLeader

Quote from: Stonewall on March 25, 2009, 07:55:30 PM
Tomcat #5 assigned to Point Mugu for armament trials, had the rather dubious honor of shooting itself down on June 20, 1973. A AIM-7E-2 Sparrow missile pitched up moments after being launched, striking the Tomcat. The crew ejected safely. 

How about that?  Launch a Sparrow and it turns around and attacks you.  Now that's just rude.

That is the funniest thing I've heard in a while.  You made my day.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

davidsinn

Quote from: RogueLeader on March 25, 2009, 08:04:15 PM

That is the funniest thing I've heard in a while.  You made my day.

Tomcat v. Sparrow. Sparrow FTW? Now that's funny.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Climbnsink

My dad worked for Grumman so I heard all about these.  Lots of stupid little things.  From what I was told(might not be accurate) loss of number 1 on the first test flight was because they wore out the lightly built back up hydraulic system cycling it repeatedly on the ground and someone somewhere was warned that it wasn't designed for repeated use.  The things that can be done with unlimited defense budgets are both cool and horrifying... :o

wingnut55

In 1973,74,75 I was stationed at vandenberg AFB, Calif. We launched several target drones out over the ocean to be shot down by the F-14. However the hit ratio was less than 20% using sidewinders and the Phoenix. We had several Bomarcs run out of fuel and crash.

Flying Pig

Did the pilot get to put a little American Flag on his next jet?

DC

Quote from: Flying Pig on March 27, 2009, 03:38:21 PM
:D :clap: Not too many pilots can claim to have shot an enemy down, even fewer can claim to have shot themself down!

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: DC on March 29, 2009, 03:28:46 AM
Quote from: Flying Pig on March 27, 2009, 03:38:21 PM
:D :clap: Not too many pilots can claim to have shot an enemy down, even fewer can claim to have shot themself down!

Is there a CAP connection in that incident somewhere? You know, sorta like when that cadet in the Sentinel newsletter leaned forward and received a foreign object up his nose?  :P

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

A.Member

I remember seeing some documentary that stated over 100+ F-14s lost in testing...
Hmmm.  Not sure where they got that number but that would be way off (it never would've made production with those losses).   

Prototype #'s: 1, 2, 6, 8, and 10 were lost during testing.   #6 was the one lost in the infamous Sparrow incident you mentioned.   

Perhaps they meant 100+ have been lost throughout it's history.  The following graphic illustrates documented F-14 losses through 1999:

If you like the "Turkey" (and who doesn't?!), M.A.T.S.  is pretty much the go to site on the F-14.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."