Cadets: what would you like to know? (related to AE presentation)

Started by Swampfox, April 12, 2010, 08:57:27 PM

Swampfox

I would like to teach AE class(es) but I would like it to be in areas that the Cadets would like to learn more.  I have researched some of the AE material but I'm not sure that I would be interested in it if I were a Cadet.  Sorry, not an expert on encampments or ground SAR so I don't have "war stories" to spice up a presentation (as related to AE).  I would like to cover areas concerning airplanes and space.

Would there be any interest of why "rocket science" was a topic that is considered tough to understand?  I was thinking about expanding AE to why you need fundamental and advanced math skills.

Sorry if this has already been covered!
I'm currently FAA certificated as an Instrument Ground Instructor (IGI) and am working on my Advanced Ground Instructor (AGI).  I have worked around some space programs.

Al Sayre

Unfortunately, I've found that the majority of my cadets only seem to be interested in the superficial "cool" stuff when it comes to aerospace.  As soon as you start talking about the physics, mechanics and mathematics involved, their eyes glaze over.  The concepts of center of pressure vs. center of gravity are a complete mystery to all but one or two.  My current AEO has a Doctorate in Aerospace Engineering and has worked for/with NASA and used to teach at UF.  Can't ask for a better resource or teacher, but the cadets just don't seem interesed in anything past "that's cool".

We are going to try doing some tethered ballon flights this evening (wind permitting), and they will probably enjoy that.  Last week, discussing the volume and temperature of the hot air contained in the balloon and how that relates to lifting force I saw a lot of blank stares...   

I think that many youth today aren't interested in "why it works" so long as it does.  Perhaps curiosity is becoming a victim of our "throw away" society.  The attitude seems to be "I don't need (or care) to know how it works or how to fix it, if it breaks I'll just get a new one".

I know that isn't much help, but it's something to think about.

JMHO YMMV
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Swampfox

Thanks for the reply.  Sounds like they might like to be entertained and rather than to be educated.  Sorry, I am new to CAP and AE.  Will they expect some game/demonstration/activity vs. a straight lecture and question and answer?  (I think I know the answer!)

Quote from: Al Sayre on April 12, 2010, 09:23:58 PM
Unfortunately, I've found that the majority of my cadets only seem to be interested in the superficial "cool" stuff when it comes to aerospace.  As soon as you start talking about the physics, mechanics and mathematics involved, their eyes glaze over.  The concepts of center of pressure vs. center of gravity are a complete mystery to all but one or two.  My current AEO has a Doctorate in Aerospace Engineering and has worked for/with NASA and used to teach at UF.  Can't ask for a better resource or teacher, but the cadets just don't seem interesed in anything past "that's cool".

We are going to try doing some tethered ballon flights this evening (wind permitting), and they will probably enjoy that.  Last week, discussing the volume and temperature of the hot air contained in the balloon and how that relates to lifting force I saw a lot of blank stares...   

I think that many youth today aren't interested in "why it works" so long as it does.  Perhaps curiosity is becoming a victim of our "throw away" society.  The attitude seems to be "I don't need (or care) to know how it works or how to fix it, if it breaks I'll just get a new one".

I know that isn't much help, but it's something to think about.

JMHO YMMV

flyboy53

Actually, I've been in both situations. In the old CAP days, cadets sat in classrooms and learned the stuff from an instructor. They also had model airplane competitions. So, there are those units where the cadets want the AEO to teach the stuff in their texts, thinking it's the AEOs fault if they can't pass the AE modules. I've also had those experiences where the really cool stuff is what hooks them.

For really cool stuff begin teaching model rocketry. You too, will soon feel the "need for speed." This program has real rewards like patches, badges and even devices for the Goddard Ribbon, which seem to motivate cadets a little more. Keep in mind that there is now also a space suppliment available on line that is really interesting.

My suggestion to you is to begin by getting your Yeager completed so that you have an idea what's in the cadet modules. Then pick up the old and new AEX booklets. Review them for lesson plans that could be interesting to your group: even the senior members. Your unit should be participating in the AEX Program anyway.

Finally, invest in a flight simulator program, yoke and rudder pedals that can be placed on a squadron computer. There are flying lessons in the program and that really hooks cadets, too.

Christensen

Some of the best aerospace lessons I've had are the ones that have an activity that demonstrates the lesson.  Its not necessarily wanting to be "entertained" as is wanting to see why its important, how it applies. I remember those lessons much better. Either way I wish you luck, my personal favorite moduels are 3, 5 and 6 :) Just if your curious.

Thanks!! 
C/Capt Kelsi Christensen, CAP
Cache Valley Composite Squadron
RMR-UT-049

Pingree1492

I have found that it's best to try to entertain them while you educate them  8)

Remember, most your cadets have maybe completed basic algebra.  They aren't at the point yet where math is actually fun and applicable to really cool stuff.  Also, maybe one or two have been in physics class as well.  So the blank stares are probably as much as incomprehension as it is non-interest.  There probably is an element of "this is too hard for me" or "I'll never understand this" so why try type of mentality as well.  The key to teaching 12-15 year old "kids" physics and math beyond where they are in school is to get them to realize that they can understand at least the basic concepts.

In order for your cadets to want to learn the why, you have to be enthusiastic about it.  You have to show them why it's important to learn, and how it can be applicable.  For example, when teaching Newton's 1st Law, you might refer to it as the "Law of Teenagers"- when you're awake, you want to stay awake (i.e. stay up all night on energy drinks); when you're asleep, you want to stay asleep (i.e. sleep in till 1 or 2 in the afternoon), unless acted upon by an outside force (your parents).  With Newton's 2nd Law, I like to introduce the concept that learning math & science is like learning a new, universal language.  F=ma  is a good example to use here, because that says the same thing as the paragraph it takes to explain the 2nd law.  Making it applicable may mean doing the model rocketry program, doing a live airport activity if your teaching Module 2, or building and flying an RC airplane if your doing Module 1.  There's tons of ways to make it fun for the cadets that aren't in the AEX book, though that's a good place to at least start.

Making things relevant to the cadets requires a lot of thought and planning and tweaking (for the stuff that falls flat), but it's worth it in the end.  Be sure to include a lot of diagrams, or demonstrations or something else to spice up the presentation.  I tend to make my poor drawing a running joke throughout the presentation.  Catch is, I actually can draw fairly well, I just don't want to take the 5 minutes or so it takes to make a perfect diagram on the whiteboard while the cadets behind me are falling asleep.  So I use bare-bones stick-figure type drawings (that still get the point across) and make fun of them and myself.  This helps draw the cadets into the presentation, maybe because it makes me seem more human, thus the material I'm presenting less intimidating, or maybe they just like to laugh at their DCC, I don't know.  ;D   Whatever you do, I would definitely avoid Powerpoint unless you are using it to display pictures or models only. 

Your biggest key to success teaching aerospace isn't necessarily how much you know, but how you present it.  It doesn't matter if you have a Doctorate and are a NASA rocket scientist if you can't engage your cadets and get them excited and make them want to learn.  My suggestion for a new AEO is to find out what motivates your cadets right now.  Start with that material first, and then start with stuff that relates to it and keep building it from there.
On CAP Hiatus- the U.S. Army is kindly letting me play with some of their really cool toys (helicopters) in far off, distant lands  :)

mbrown

of all the classes that i have attended and taught i think the most interesting ones have been about space disasters or plane disasters. It has the 'wow' factor that younger cadets love, if you do it properly, you can go into the physics and structural engineering and other things that led to the crashes/disasters. More importantly, it gives the cadets an open forum and allows them to speak up, add in their input, act as detectives and gets them completely involved in the lesson instead of being lectured to.
Michael S. Brown, C/2nd. Lt.
U.S. Civil Air Patrol

Major Lord

How about: ( in descending priority)

1) AE modules required for promotion and part of our existing curricula

2) Aircraft and associated information ( drones, etc) of USAF, in accordance with our published goal of education re: Air Supremacy

3) Related weapons systems, ( What red-blooded American Cadet does not like weapons systems?) and where to find them in your favorite video games....

We had one very enthusiastic member freelance a few years back, and he spent a three hour block of AE  instruction talking about carburetors. Several cadets are known to have survived, but many will be permanently damaged.

Major Lord

"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

SarDragon

Well, three hours to talk about carburetors seems like overkill. The topic does have some importance and relevance, since a significant chunk of the CAP A/C fleet is equipped with them.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

jimmydeanno

The worst AE presentation I ever had was at my first encampment.  The guy presenting had a personal grudge against the encampment commander and decided to take it out on us.

His presentation was about the organization of the Air Force and only included a breakdown of every Maj Comm down to the squadron level.  During the presentation he only listed the personnel and aircraft of each unit, then gave the total for each base...literally: "1FW has XXX Officers, XXX Enlisted Personnel, XXX Civilian Personnel, XXX of this type of aircraft, XXX of this type.  94FS has XXX Officers, XXX Enlisted Personnel, XXX Civilian Personnel, XXX of this type of aircraft.  Giving Langley AFB a combined total of XXX Officers, XXX Enlisted Personnel, XXX Civilian Personnel, XXX of this type of aircraft."

We all thought it was going to be a cool presentation about some of the airframes and their capabilities.

4 hours later...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

flyboy53

Thoughts of having a cadet sit through a class featuring the Air Force's table of organization only galvanize my anger on how poorly Aerospace Education is regarded and taught. There's just so much really cool stuff out there.

How about the "other" space programs like Man High, Dyna Soar, and MORL. So much has been lost in the public eye about these programs because of the emphasis of the the race to the Moon and the Space Shuttle.

How many cadets realize that the design of the Space Shuttle came from programs like the Silver Bird (World War II Germany), the X-15 and the X-20?

How many people realize that there are about two dozen military and civilian astronauts or astronaut candidates there were lost in various training accidents during the space race.

How many people realize that Neil Armstrong was already an astronaut because of his X-15 flights before being picked for Gemini and Apollo 11?