Main Menu

Sept-Oct Volunteer

Started by RiverAux, September 22, 2007, 03:00:18 AM

RiverAux

For those who just can't wait for the mailman, the Sept/Oct issue of the Volunteer is available for download.  http://www.cap.gov/visitors/news/civil_air_patrol_volunteer/downloads/

Good issue, but is it just me or are there just a few too many "look what a former cadet is doing" stories lately?

Major Carrales

Quote from: RiverAux on September 22, 2007, 03:00:18 AM
For those who just can't wait for the mailman, the Sept/Oct issue of the Volunteer is available for download.  http://www.cap.gov/visitors/news/civil_air_patrol_volunteer/downloads/

Hey, Capt Steve "Johnny Fedora" Fedor, CAP (page 49) made the Volunteer and so did Major (then Captain) James "Best CAP Officer I ever Shaw" Shaw, CAP (page 13).  Any others?

Johnny Fedora and Alice Bluebonnet...(in the window of a department store!)  God I love the Andrews Sisters!!!
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Eclipse

Photo I took is featured in the Rockford, IL story - 4th or 5th time in a row we're in there this year.

"That Others May Zoom"

Major Carrales

Quote from: Eclipse on September 22, 2007, 03:43:18 AM
Photo I took is featured in the Rockford, IL story - 4th or 5th time in a row we're in there this year.

Good job!!!

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Major Carrales

CONGRATS to 1st Lt Estelle Kelly, CAP Group V/Texas Wing PAO!!!

She got an article in on page 56!!!  She is a great person!!!  She is in the save squadron as our resident Threadster Chaplain, Rev Alex Alvarez.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Skyray

Thanks a lot for the link, John.  I really enjoyed this truly awesome publication.  Lots of nostalgia and a good bit of forward looking.  I don't know whether I enjoyed reminiscing over Project "X" more or seeing the picture of Jim Rushing standing on his head lighting a fire at Hawk Mountain.  Saw a good many names that I recognize from the discussion groups, too.
Doug Johnson - Miami

Always Active-Sometimes a Member

flyguy06

Quote from: Major Carrales on September 22, 2007, 03:40:25 AM

Hey, Capt Steve "Johnny Fedora" Fedor, CAP (page 49) made the Volunteer and so did Major (then Captain) James "Best CAP Officer I ever Shaw" Shaw, CAP (page 13).  Any others?

Johnny Fedora and Alice Bluebonnet...(in the window of a department store!)  God I love the Andrews Sisters!!!

That dude looks 15 years old

SJFedor

Quote from: flyguy06 on September 25, 2007, 02:51:30 AM
Quote from: Major Carrales on September 22, 2007, 03:40:25 AM

That dude looks 15 years old

What dude? Me, or the Johnny Fedora picture? I'm a young-but-old-enough 21 year old.

Thanks for the props, it came out even better then I thought it would.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

James Shaw

The picture they had in the magazine has been edited. I have seen it and talked to one of them at national. I look like I just got finished sucking a sackful of lemons.

They are still a great bunch of people there. Neil Probst is a great writer and a pretty cool guy. Tynan and Susan Robertson are all great people to work with.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

Major Carrales

Winston Smith and O'Brien would be proud of the "Ministry of Truth" like tactics of my brother and sister PAOs.  We meet in Room 101 to discuss how many fingers people actually have.

We LOVE BIG BROTHER!!!

Commander
SWR-TX-454

jimmydeanno

Quote from: caphistorian on September 27, 2007, 05:41:24 PM
The picture they had in the magazine has been edited.

I think it was the right thing to do...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

James Shaw

My wife said this picture looks like my mustache is huge. I know that is the reason they did it. Someone at my job even saw the picture from the mag and printed a large version of it. They put it on a bulletin board in our business area.

I do not wear my AD stuff on my mess dress anymore. I only wear CAP.

I have no harsh feelings but it did get some chuckles from some friends.

Next time I will ask them to coverup the bald spots on the side and change all of my hair to brown isntead of grey!
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

BigMojo

Wouldn't the Edited version they printed put you in violation of grooming standards as the mustache must not "...extend sideways beyond a vertical line drawn upward from the corner of the mouth." ?
Ben Dickmann, Capt, CAP
Emergency Services Officer
Group 6, Florida Wing

isuhawkeye

Not to drift off topic, but how over used is the cadet sighting down compass

mikeylikey

^ What's a compass?  Seriously, I had a 13 year old Cadet ask me that.  I had a hell of a time getting him to understand why anyone would use a "manual" GPS.
What's up monkeys?