Why type of CAP Articles you you like to read best?

Started by Major Carrales, August 29, 2007, 05:06:29 PM

Major Carrales

As a PAO, it is often important to gauge the audience for INTERNAL PA stories.  I won't do a poll since I know that it upsets the various "Mike's" on these forums.

So, tell me, is it plain "just the facts" news stories?  Feature stories written in a narrative form?  An editorial?

Not so much content as opposed to style and delivery.

What say you?
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

RiverAux

Depends on what it is.  For awards/promotions, you don't really need to do more than give the basic facts and maybe some background on the people involved.  Feature stories are great and I'm glad the Volunteer has moved towards that format. 

pixelwonk

How about not doing a poll since it's a redundancy of your opinion.  If you've got an intelligent thought, sound off like you've got a pair.  If not, I guess a poll is for you.

As to the topic, I'm firmly ensconced in the idea that the features are where it's at.  It gives room to tell a real story you'd be proud to show anybody, rather than a grip-n-grin with a little background.  Here's a challenge for us all:  Work to get the small local Coast-to-Coast type stories  in your local news venues, where it will knock the socks off your members to see themselves in print there.
Wins on all fronts.

afgeo4

How about something I'd like to see and don't see... articles on homeland security and disaster prevention such as professional courses available, tips from our director of HS on keeping an eye out or tips from our safety people on disaster preparedness...

As an emergency management agency that we are, we need to be mindful of our members not knowing what to do in time of an emergency and of them not being prepared for one. Members who are prepared for emergencies will have time to give to CAP and help their community instead of caring for their own immediate needs. Members who are well prepared are also more secure in what needs to be done and make for happier people. They can also teach their neighbors, CERT team members, organize neighborhood preparedness teams, etc.

I don't see anything with substance in that magazine... just feel good stories and ego boosters. How about passing useful information our way for a change?

As far as existing stuff... I usually read about events that took place in each region. See what my wing and region are up to and I read articles on new technologies.
GEORGE LURYE

Major Carrales

Quote from: tedda on August 29, 2007, 05:49:29 PM
How about not doing a poll since it's a redundancy of your opinion.  If you've got an intelligent thought, sound off like you've got a pair.  If not, I guess a poll is for you.

I would conduct a poll, not as a superfluous statement of my opinion, but as a tool...as in this occasion...to generate "data" I can use to alter a course of action. 
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454