Cadet contact info on websites

Started by Maj Ballard, August 26, 2007, 02:18:05 PM

Maj Ballard

I've read CAPR 110-1, which states:
QuotePersonal information regarding CAP members or employees, including but not limited to, social security number, residence address, date of birth, should only be made available through CAP internet operations to those individuals who have a specific need to have such information for official CAP business only. When this information is placed on a web server as part of a CAP internet operation, reasonable security, such as password access, should be implemented to protect the information.

However, I've recently been asked about the propriety of having cadets' email addresses being included on public areas of a CAP website ("because they're minors"). Most units I've seen who have this information available have it there for the convenience of their own members, and I'm unaware of anyone complaining.

The regulation doesn't address email. Thoughts?
L. Ballard, Major, CAP

smgilbert101

I have not seen any guidance on this from CAP.  I would suggest getting a release from their parents/guardians to cover yourself/CAP.  The same holds true for using photos of cadets on your website.  We just passed out releases to the cadets at a meeting.  All of the releases came back signed right away.

Rather than list all of the adets e-mail addresses, you may wish to only publish the e-mail addresses of cadets in leadership positions (to test the waters so to speak).
Steve Gilbert
SWR-TX-434
Too much rack for my uniform, favorite job is "mentor" (or was that mental..hmm)
ex-alot of things and sometimes gumbly old bear.

MIKE

I wouldn't put them in a public area, if at all.
Mike Johnston

flyguy06

You dont really need any guidence or regulationon this. Its kind of common sense. I wouldnt put "anyones" email address or telphone number on a public website. Senior Member or cadet. I definantly wouldnt put mine out there

dwb

Quote from: flyguy06 on August 26, 2007, 03:25:02 PMYou dont really need any guidence or regulationon this. Its kind of common sense. I wouldnt put "anyones" email address or telphone number on a public website. Senior Member or cadet. I definantly wouldnt put mine out there
k... so what about the unit finder on the NHQ web site?  How are potential members supposed to contact local units?

Skyray

Quote from: flyguy06 on August 26, 2007, 03:25:02 PM
You don't really need any guidance or regulation on this. Its kind of common sense. I wouldn't put "anyones" email address or telphone number on a public website. Senior Member or cadet. I definitely wouldn't put mine out there

Much as I hate to say it, common sense seems to be lacking in some of the leadership cadre.  My Social Security Number, along with Andy Skiba's, was posted on the Florida Wing ES Web Site for months and I could never get them to take it down.  Pineda's wasn't there because he isn't a mission pilot.  They finally took notice when I posted an open message to the Wing DO, who was having trouble accessing the database, that he should go to the website and get Andy Skiba's SSN which should get him all the access he needed.  The numbers were down within two days.
Doug Johnson - Miami

Always Active-Sometimes a Member

flyguy06

Quote from: justin_bailey on August 26, 2007, 03:37:59 PM
Quote from: flyguy06 on August 26, 2007, 03:25:02 PMYou dont really need any guidence or regulationon this. Its kind of common sense. I wouldnt put "anyones" email address or telphone number on a public website. Senior Member or cadet. I definantly wouldnt put mine out there
k... so what about the unit finder on the NHQ web site?  How are potential members supposed to contact local units?

If the commander chooses to have his personal info posted then thats his business. The address is usually a local meeting address and hopefully not his home address, but then again, thats up to the individual person. I would not do it. I would give the unit address and put my cell number not my home number.

floridacyclist

We have contact info for myself and the commander on the unit website and I'm listed on the NHQ site as the local contact. Other than that, you have to know the secret handshake and password to get at our part of the website with our contact roster (emails/telephone#s).

We were discussing if we should have cadet's full names on there at all....perhaps grade, first initial, and last name? or is that overly paranoid? After they've been in long enough, their names are plastered around news stories anyway.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

dwb

I think it's overly paranoid.  A lot of public schools have web sites that list students' names when they participate in activities or win awards.  Also, we get newsletters mailed to us for a local school district here.  With names!  And pictures!

I definitely think there is an undue amount of personal information being shared by a lot of teens today (MySpace profiles, etc.)  That said, the occasional mention of a name, or the E-mail address of a cadet staff member, on a CAP web site, is not a big deal to me.

RiverAux

Cadet contact info -- no
Senior contact info -- yes. 

Skyray

Quote from: RiverAux on August 26, 2007, 07:26:03 PM
Cadet contact info -- no
Senior contact info -- yes. 

Does that include Social Security Number?
Doug Johnson - Miami

Always Active-Sometimes a Member

RiverAux

Of course not.  The question was about email addresses.

JC004

When I spoke with my wing king months ago about having a couple of cadet e-mail addresses on the web site, we decided: over 18 and it be a wing, not personal e-mail.  The CAC chair is the only on at the moment. 

Another alternative is e-mail-generating PHP forms.  Easy enough to do.  I've been wanting to do a form that will direct your questions to the appropriate person automatically, but with all the staff changes, that kind of stuff is on hold.

floridacyclist

Actually, if you look at our website, the cadet chain of command has job-related emails... cadetcommander@tallahasseecap.org, firstsgt@tallahasseecap.org etc. They forward to the cadet's squadron email address (firstinitiallastname@tallahasseecap.org) which funnels it to their home email; they can also log on via webmail or SMTP to send email from those addresses.

Not hard to do if you have your own email domain; of course you could also set up multiple Yahoo accounts or the like, but that would get cumbersome. I'm sure there are free to cheap ways to implement this, in our case, it just came with the domain.

That might be a good use for some of those cap.usaf.aux (or whatever they were) email addresses.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

JC004

Quote from: floridacyclist on August 26, 2007, 09:26:17 PM
That might be a good use for some of those cap.usaf.aux (or whatever they were) email addresses.

@cap.usafaux.us

A service of Tedda.  Long since filled with the max boxes, I do believe.

LtCol White

Here in LA we have given a CAP address to each wing staff member. All postings of info contain this address. It is set up by our Wing IT guy so that any mail to this address is redirected to the member's personal address of their choosing. This way, the real address is hidden but you need not check an additional mail box. Many of our squadrons have done the same thing. For example, mine is dcp@lawgcap.org
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.