Main Menu

CAP Fatalities

Started by dhon27, August 21, 2007, 04:36:34 PM

A.Member

"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Major Carrales

Often times, when we are deployed at SARexs or at our regular meetings...or even at those stressful REDCAPs, we enjoy each other's company.  We later recount those moments when "this" happened or when "that guy" did "that." 

We so often take for granted those around us...we look at our brother and sister CAP airmen as our friends, locked in the comfort of the present.

While the majority of us did not know, directly, the CAP Officers that died on this mission, we are never-the-less connected to them by the fact that they were volunteers like us.  Odds are, we know people like them.

Let us honor their memory by enjoying the company of our fellow CAP Officers and savor each moment, each exchange and each argument that may arise from time to time when passion toward service arises.  Those times when tempers heat, but that cool to the warmth of friendship.

GOD BLESS our FALLEN CAP Fellows!

"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

alice

Alice Mansell, LtCol CAP

DogCollar

May the peace of God rest upon all those that grieve the loss of this aircrew.  My thoughts and prayers are for the families of the crew and also the people of the Wyoming Wing. 

Ch. Maj. Bill Boldin, CAP

addo1

May God comfort these mourning families in this time of loss, and cradle them is his loving arms.
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP
Coordinator, Texas Wing International Air Cadet Exchange

National Cadet Advisory Council 2010

mikeylikey

Has the NTSB released a preliminary before investigation cause yet?  I hope the families get the support needed now from the Government.  Too many horror stories about insurance realting to accidents like this. 

Perhaps NHQ should start a "collection" also. 

What's up monkeys?

Nomex Maximus

Nomex Tiberius Maximus
2dLT, MS, MO, TMP and MP-T
an inspiration to all cadets
My Theme Song

Lancer

I've been thinking about this since the incident happened, and as much as I hate to take the focus away from the fact that we just lost three of our own; Has anyone taken into account the 16 year old that this aircrew was trying to find?

I know that if I had found out that three people are now gone because they were looking for me, I'd be rather upset about that news.

I'm no expert in CISM, but there has got to be some provision for these circumstances, yeah?

Nomex Maximus

Quote from: mlcurtis69 on August 23, 2007, 04:29:57 PM
I've been thinking about this since the incident happened, and as much as I hate to take the focus away from the fact that we just lost three of our own; Has anyone taken into account the 16 year old that this aircrew was trying to find?

I know that if I had found out that three people are now gone because they were looking for me, I'd be rather upset about that news.

I'm no expert in CISM, but there has got to be some provision for these circumstances, yeah?

Yes, I thought of it. It has to be pretty hard on the young man. I don't know that CAP would be the right organization to help him deal with it though. We (CAP) were called to go find him. The young man was lost and needed to be found. We don't have any reason to believe that the young man was being irresponsible. It was a legitimate use of CAP's services to help find him.  As far as we all know the very experienced pilot (he was a check pilot and an FRO) was trying his best to fly safe but got caught by something. As far as we know things were being done properly and something bad happened anyhow. Don't know how the young man will deal with it.

--Nomex

Nomex Tiberius Maximus
My Theme Song

A.Member

Quote from: Nomex Maximus on August 23, 2007, 06:53:22 PM
Quote from: mlcurtis69 on August 23, 2007, 04:29:57 PM

Yes, I thought of it. It has to be pretty hard on the young man. I don't know that CAP would be the right organization to help him deal with it though. We (CAP) were called to go find him. The young man was lost and needed to be found. We don't have any reason to believe that the young man was being irresponsible. It was a legitimate use of CAP's services to help find him.  As far as we all know the very experienced pilot (he was a check pilot and an FRO) was trying his best to fly safe but got caught by something. As far as we know things were being done properly and something bad happened anyhow. Don't know how the young man will deal with it.

--Nomex
One very serious question was raised for me in this whole tragedy as a result of this statement from the original press release:
QuoteThe crew departed the Sheridan Airport in Sheridan, Wyo. at about 1:30 p.m. MDT for a two-hour mission. When they failed to return on time the Wyoming Wing incident commander notified AFRCC officials and an overdue aircraft search was immediately initiated.
This statement was either very poorly worded by the PAO, the facts were incorrectly reported or missing, or there were some problems with procedure on that mission.  Aircrews should report in every 30 minutes.  The way I read this, the IC waited at least 2 hours prior to contacting anyone.  When was the last contact with the aircrew?  Why did they wait so long to initiate a search?  It may not have changed the outcome in this case but that is a serious concern.

Note:  I'm not looking to place blame on anyone here.  Rather the purpose is to raise awareness of an observed issue in the hope that we can learn from it. 
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Nomex Maximus

Nomex Tiberius Maximus
My Theme Song

Tubacap

William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

Nomex Maximus

That's an awfully big 182...
Nomex Tiberius Maximus
My Theme Song

Frenchie

Any word on possible causes for the crash?

Quote from: Nomex Maximus on September 01, 2007, 06:09:05 AM
That's an awfully big 182...

Yep, it's obviously an Airvan and probably just a file picture the paper had for CAP.

IceNine

Not anything official from NTSB yet

It is still listed as preliminary
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

sardak

The NTSB factual report is the next step after the preliminary report.  This is issued within a month or so.  The NTSB probable cause report generally takes a year or longer.

Mike