How does one become a region Commander

Started by flyguy06, August 21, 2007, 04:23:41 AM

flyguy06

oK, CAPR 35-9 Talks about appointing and the requirements for a Wing Commander. But what are the requirements for region Commander and what is the process?

RogueLeader

Pretty much same for Wing CC. Also need to know CAP/CC, plus a lot of "spare" time, and patience.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Duke Dillio

Don't forget money.  You gotta have quite a bit of money to be a region commander.

shorning

Quote from: sargrunt on August 21, 2007, 04:46:18 AM
Don't forget money.  You gotta have quite a bit of money to be a region commander.

Same is true for Wing Commanders...

SJFedor

Bachelors, Masters, or Doctorate in posterior oraface kissing.  >:D

/sarcasm

Actually, next time I bump into the SER/CC, I'll ask.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

Cecil DP

Must be a former Wing Commander and than the rest is the Wing Commander requirements.

Region Commander notifies the NEC and National Commander that he/she wants to
leave, (many times it's just the opposite). National Commander solicits nominations from within the Region and recommendations from the outgoing Region Commander. Than selects the new commander. (At least that's the way it's supposed to work).

Note: Often the Region Vice Commander is not a former Wing Commander. He is ineligible for consideration.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

isuhawkeye

Mike,

Many of the recently appointed region commanders have had no command experience

A.Member

Must play well with others...particularly those up the chain from you.  Sheep are welcome, preferred even.  ;)  :P
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Grumpy

Quote from: isuhawkeye on August 21, 2007, 01:11:24 PM
Mike,

The current CA/CC has had no command experience or even taken the UCC which you must complete within one year of appointment.  :-[

Cecil DP

Mike,

I was using the criteria published under the NEC minutes

BofG Meeting 6 Dec 206

MAJ GEN PINEDA also briefed a selection process for wing and region commanders,
which outlined the following criteria: (1) Applicants for region or wing command will sign
a waiver to allow a background check, if required. (2) A board of three CAP members
(selected by the National Commander) will convene, review applications and offer a
ranked order. (3) A background check will be run on their number one candidate
(database criminal record search including financial and traffic). (4) If this individual
"passes" the check, this appointee may be considered for position, pending National
Commander final approval. (5) If appointee fails a background check, the selection
board will recommend the next candidate for National Commander approval.

I know I've seen something in writing the criteria I posted in the first response, but can't find it in the regs or minutes of the BofG, NEC, or National Board.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

Galahad

Quote from: A.Member on August 21, 2007, 02:19:04 PM
Must play well with others...particularly those up the chain from you.  Sheep are welcome, preferred even.  ;)  :P

Sheep yes, but no sheepdogs need apply.  When the wolves come to molest the herd it's every CC for himself.   ;D

Skyray

I am a little concerned just when the National Commander became so involved in the choice of Wing Commanders.  My recollection of the days of yore was that it was the Region Commanders prerogative to select his Wing Commanders.  When did that change?  I know it was one of the charges that Bowling brought against Bergman when Bergman caught Pineda with his hand in the cookie jar and relieved him.  And pretty much the first thing Bowling did when he got the chance was reappoint Pineda.  He even delayed getting sworn in as National Vice until after he had proved his manhood intact by reappointing Pineda.  And all you Wing Kings that are still around, remember the nasty things that Bowling had to say about Bergman at the closed meeting where you took away Bergman's star.
Doug Johnson - Miami

Always Active-Sometimes a Member

shorning

Quote from: Grumpy on August 21, 2007, 02:50:15 PM
Mike,

The current CA/CC has had no command experience or even taken the UCC which you must complete within one year of appointment:-[

Emphasis mine:  You'll need to cite your source on that one.  While it's been mentioned at a couple board meetings, I haven't seen any policy letter issued mandating the training.  Perhaps it is just your wing.

Duke Dillio

I'd also point out that the current CAWG CC was appointed less than one year ago.  I think it has only been about 3 months now or something like that since he came in.

I was going to say that when the RMR CC was selected, we all got an email for self-nominations.  A board was convened to review the selections and a commander was recommended but I don't know who selected the members of the board.  Come to think of it, that's all I remember about the selection process...

Grumpy

Hmmm, you may be correct.  I've heard it so much that I thought it was a national requirement.  I was required to take it when I was a squadron commander.  I'll research it and get back to you.

Grumpy

OK, I checked.  It was a California requirement listed in CAWG Policy Letter 02-03.  However, that letter has been rescinded and the requirement is now in Pacific Region Supp 1 to CAPR 35-1.

bosshawk

Grumpy: hate to rain on your parade, again, but I think that you have a lapse in accurate data about the current CAWG CC.  He has been in CAP since he was a cadet and has commanded numerous squadrons: probably never a Group.  I know about the Sqs, I asked him.  He has passed level 5, so he isn't exactly a newbie.

Regards.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Chappie

Quote from: bosshawk on August 22, 2007, 11:30:04 PM
Grumpy: hate to rain on your parade, again, but I think that you have a lapse in accurate data about the current CAWG CC.  He has been in CAP since he was a cadet and has commanded numerous squadrons: probably never a Group.  I know about the Sqs, I asked him.  He has passed level 5, so he isn't exactly a newbie.

Regards.

He may well have passed Level 5 and been a cadet, however, I have Unit Commander Rosters and Wing Staff Rosters going back to 2001.  If he had commanded a squadron in the CAWG, it had to be prior to 2001.  It would be safe to say he has not commanded a squadron or a group in the CAWG nor served on the Wing HQ Staff for the 6 years prior to his appointment as the CAWG CC.
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

Grumpy

Bosshawk, you are not raining on my parade.  If I'm wrong, then I'm wrong.  I appreciate that you correct me.  I was using information from individuals whom I thought were in the know.  On the other hand, I DO know what a ruckus he caused when he was not allowed to start up a squadron in the San Diego area under his own demands.

bosshawk

Grumpy: yes, I have heard the same rumor about Col Muniz' attempt to start a Sq in the San Diego area.  That is water under the bridge at this point.  He is the Wing Commander and is all of our responsibility to try to support the man in a very difficult position and time.  If he fails, let him do it on his own merit.  Likewise, if he succeeds, give him the due credit for the job.  I chose to support him until he proves to me that I am wrong.

I have never commanded a Group in CAP, but I have had jobs in the real world where I exercised responsibility for more than 450 people at one time and I commanded Companies in the Army.  Being a Group or Wing Commander in CAP is not a fun job nor one that is easy.  I liken either of those jobs as being similar to herding cats.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777