Read Ahead Documents for Webinar

Started by JohnKachenmeister, January 02, 2007, 02:58:46 AM

DNall

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on January 04, 2007, 03:26:07 PM
DNall:

As always, Dennis, you make good points, and present a valid argument.  I'm looking forward to discussing this with you tonight.

And as I said before, we have a 50-meter bracket on the problem.  Any shells landing at your position, or mine, or in between will have the desired effect on the target.

The plan I proposed, however, provides certain advantages that your plan does not offer.  For example:

1.  Yes, in a federal emergency or disaster, 1AF controls the show.  In disasters or emergencies less than those requiring a federal declaration of disaster, the NG is still the star of the show.  If we are under the OPCON of the ANG, we will be more flexible in responding to local-level emergencies requiring the assistance of light aircraft.  (Seasonal flooding, dam surveillance, missing persons searches, etc.)

2.  In the event of a major disaster, we still fall under 1AF, as do all NG units.

3.  You are correct in pointing out that some of the missions in a disaster are Army missions, but being under the TAG would put us in a position to also respond to Army requests for aviation support, (Route recon for convoys, rapid light cargo transport, movement of key personnel, etc.)

4.  Alignment under the Guard would open up assets to us in the form of use of armories, and access to the state military academies, which would assist us in the very vital mission of improving our officer corps.

I support you on the proposal for the BoG to hire and fire all colonels and higher, but I think the BoG only meets twice a year.  Will they be flexible and responsive enough to do that?    
I'm looking forward to it as well. I should be aboard a few early w/ no problems.

There's pros/cons to both concepts. Strategically I think they run pretty even. I agree we can get the bulk of our aims done from either position. But the change to guard is much more massive & requires a lot more legislative, etc, bigger risks for same basic reward.... just doesn't seem to be a lot of payoff there.

Far as BoG, they meet face to face a couple times a year. They're fully capable of running a conf call if need be. The military structure selected by them should operate like a military structure, and BoG should excercise hire/fire authority over Exec Director & senior staff to ensure NHQ follow sthe perscribed vision. The national level board I was on for a non-profit met four times a year. Corporate boards of directors don't meet daily or anything.

Far as disaster size. I think it's a VERY narrow window you're talking about... one where it's beyond the local/mutual-aid capabilities, but still too small to be federally declared. Then you reach down into that very small range & AFNSEP can still send resources under basically the same rules that'd govern the guard being used in-state. Plus, even if that small range were decisive on disaster resposne, that's an Army mission we help with as a sideline. Our main focus has to be w/ 1AF protecting the country & saving lives, maybe w/ 8AF on their anti-cyberterrorism mission, with ICE/DEA/DHS tasked out of 1AF defending border sovereignty & stopping the flow of natcotics.... our main jobs are federal, and they're the best route to keep our cadet program strong & work toward consistent national standards & funding.

DNall

For your ref...

Who Are the Players?
USNORTHCOM:       
·   Conduct operations (sea, air, land, space, etc) to deter, prevent and defeat threats and aggression aimed at the United States, its territories and interests within the assigned area of responsibility (North America)
·   As directed by the president or secretary of defense, provide military assistance to civil authorities including consequence management operations; particularly for disaster (natural or manmade) & special events (terrorism or national security targets).

AFNORTH:
·   Air component of USNORTHCOM
·   Joint US/Canada, covers all North America

First Air Force:
·   AF component of USNORTHCOM/AFNORTH responsible for CONUS
·   CONUS Airspace: Surveillance, Control, & Defense
o   Surveillance: Air Component of homeland defense
§   DoD Counter Narcotics Aviation & airspace monitoring
§   Air component Border/Coastal Sovereignty operations
o   Defense: ANG Alert Fighter Wings
·   Controls AFRCC, & several special operations
·   Air Component Commander for all designated disaster airspace

Army Disaster Relief:
·   The Army (active component) is responsible for all military disaster operations  (state & federal).
o   1st & 5th US ARMY (Active Component) direct the Title 10 (federal) training of all CONUS National Guard units.
o   During disaster relief, one of these two (active component) Army MGs will assume command of all military operations in the area of operations, Their subordinate brigade commanders (six each) command local response.
·   You see while in the field it looks like National Guard is running a disaster because it is primarily their people being used, they are not actually the ones in charge of military operations.
·   Governors deploy National Guard for law enforcement & emergency response assistance. SaR or DR would be controlled by 1st/5th Army

Air Force National Security Emergency Preparedness (AFNSEP):
·   AF agency responsible for coordinating AF assistance to 1st or 5th Army directed military response to natural or manmade disasters.
·   Provide active & reserve (IMA) liaison officers to FEMA & state response efforts. These officers format & forward requests for AF resources.
·   Resources are approved by this agency in coordination with Army, but operationally commanded by 1AF.

DNall

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on January 04, 2007, 03:09:06 PM
Quote from: BillB on January 04, 2007, 10:24:24 AM
DNall
It sure would be nice if the average CAP member reading your post knew what in the (censored) you were talking about. As mentioned in a Civil Air Portal thread, members who'se experience in in other areas of the program have no idea of the abbreviations used.  OPCON, ADCON, AETC, AFNSEP, what do those mean to the average member that may be in cadet programs or aerospace ed, or even a new member trying to understand thyge missions of CAP. YOU may be familiar with all those terms, but how many readers know what you refer to? Does it take that much time to spell it out the first time a name is abbreviated to allow the reader to see what you're talking about?

Two comments, Bill:

1.  To the extent that a CAP member does NOT know what the (Freak) he's talking about, that alone serves as an illustration of the failure of our officer professional development.

2.  If you are among those who don't know what the (Freak) he's talking about, get with the (Freakin') program!  There's a WAR ON!
Hell, Bill nothing personal by the way. You know I got endless respect for you & your many years of dedicated outstanding service. It's just this thing is out a little beyond Johnny "I just joined 2wks ago" SrMbr asking what CAP-USAF is. I appreciate knowledgable well reasoned oppinions regardless of grade or TIS, but at a certina level a respondent needs to recognize the need to take some initiative to catch up if they want to chime in on the big stuff. There's not sacred hidden knowledge. They just have to demonstrate some self-starter skills. When you're talking higher level thought that's the entry fee. I appreciate you effort to defend them though. We need more of that effort in the org & I'll see about a glossary of abreviations for posted on the site...

okay everyone call now!!! info above if you missed it.....

DNall