Main Menu

The Chief's Corner

Started by Chief Chiafos, December 31, 2006, 06:29:54 PM

isuhawkeye

The chief is an unpaid professional

jayleswo

Welcome Chief! I actually ran across your name in this position a few weeks ago when I looked through the CAP Directory (page 12-2 of the December 2006 version) but didn't know what this meant. Glad to have someone of your professionalism, background and experience here to make a  positive difference on the national scale. Good luck, and I do hope you get some positive and constructive input from this forum.

John Aylesworth, Lt Col, CAP
Commander, PCR-CA-151
Sacramento Composite Squadron 14
John Aylesworth, Lt Col CAP

SAR/DR MP, Mission Check Pilot Examiner, Master Observer
Earhart #1139 FEB 1982

mikeylikey

Quote from: Chief Chiafos on January 01, 2007, 12:10:38 AM
Sure, CAP has long accommodated NCOs, but doesn't know what to do with us.  The NCO Corps will be consolidated into a new specialty track; managed entirely by the NCOs themselves.  That removes us from the control of headquarters, petty politics, and the booby traps of the unending guerrilla warfare that goes on in CAP.  The track will be "closed" that is, if you were not an NCO in the US armed forces, you cannot be an NCO in CAP.  The rationale is simple: prior service NCOs are already trained and experienced, and we must be perceived, both in and out of CAP, as "real" NCOs, or we have no credibility.  This is vital to improving our relationship with the Air Force. But that does not preclude opening the track in the future to civilians who can be properly trained.

The NCO in CAP will do what the NCO does in the military: speak the truth, practice fairness, seek justice, demand accountability, enforce standards in wear of the uniform, customs and courtesies, conduct military formations and ceremonies, mentor officers with leadership skills, and advise commanders in the better interests of CAP, its people, and missions.  This is the road to true professionalism.

CAP IS NOT THE MILITARY.  Great that you were an NCO, it is great we have prior service members in CAP that can lend thier experiances and leadership to the organization.  My Question...What makes an NCO any better at advising commanders on CAPs missions, interests, people then say a "non-NCO"?
I speak the truth, practice fairness, seek justice, demand accountability and enforce standards.  Why do I need an NCO at my side?
Simply put, I command a Field Artillery Battery in the Army, I have subordinate NCO's that do what you are speaking of.  I need them for the unit to function accordingly.  However, that world is SO MUCH different than CAP.

You made one mistake in your entire discussion.  You said " This is vital to improving our relationship with the Air Force. But that does not preclude opening the track in the future to civilians who can be properly trained" 
Never forget even if you are an NCO, in CAP you are a civilian like the rest of us.  How would creating a closed specialty not creat the appearance of an "elite society" within the organization?  How would those of us who wanted to be NCO's and were not in the military be trained?  I will tell you what, I have met my fair share of CAP NCO's that do not know the first thing about CAP, and go through the motions, without adding anything.

I feel this COULD turn out to be a tremenous waste of time and resources.  Like others have said, it may work in Iowa, but seriously, Iowa is not a representation of the entire CAP. 

Finally you say you are our portal to NHQ.  How exactly?  Last time I looked I already have my chain of command.  You quote the military use of NCO's, how then would my portal of communication be through an NCO.  I am an officer, shouldn't it be directed the way it has been for the last twenty or so years?  Never needed a Chief before.  I guess when it is all in place, I will go to my NCO, and ask him or her  "if you have time can you pass my concerns up your NCO grapevine".   

THIS is not an attack against  Chief Chiafos or what he is selling us.  I wish him all the luck at getting this started. 

I for one will remain skeptical, BUT WILL SUPPORT WHATEVER COMES DOWN THE CHAIN AND ALLOW IT FAIL ON IT'S OWN!   
What's up monkeys?

Chief Chiafos

It was not my preference to make an "official" CCM appearance in this forum.  I had requested space on the CAP website, the Volunteer magazine, and other venues.  But, so far that hasn't happened, so I can appreciate any skepticism you may have.  It wasn't my intention to 'announce' anything here, but to begin a search for willing NCOs, and open a dialog.

What the NCOs bring to CAP is military discipline and professionalism, something CAP is in dire need of.  Most of our members have no military experience and as time has gone by CAP gets less and less recognizable as a military organization.  And, like it or not, civilian volunteers or not, it is in fact, paramilitary.  If I see one more cadet squadron reciting the Pledge of Allegiance, instead of standing at attention, saluting the flag, to the notes of To The Colors, or the National Anthem, I shall run screaming naked down the street.

True military training, the kind the Air Force and the public expect to see, is nearly nonexistent.  This is the root cause of nearly all of CAP's image problems.  In the uniformed services the NCOs are the custodians of military training, discipline, and tradition; they are the glue binding a unit together: elevating its morale, infusing cohesion, demanding discipline, and focusing on mission purpose.  We must do no less if we are ever to regain organizational integrity and self-respect as members. CAP NCOs, at all levels, will do that training.

The goal of the NCO corps is to transform CAP's culture into an elite, professional, and polished, military search and rescue organization, envied by our counterparts, and championed with pride by the Air Force.  We have chosen, by benign neglect, to become and accept what we are.  All that can be changed with vision, determination, and the will to get it done.

CAP NCOs will be assigned according to a manning document established for wing, group and squadrons, at rank commensurate to the assignments.  The Chief's will form a "Chiefs Group" to manage the NCOs, train them, establish a promotion system, approve applicants, and remove NCOs for proper cause.  This program will not be for every former NCO.  They must comply with the NCO code of Conduct, and many former NCOs here in Iowa have turned me down because of strict requirements.

I cannot do this alone.  I need the help of former NCOs who want to transform CAP with a vision for our future.

mikeylikey

Who will these NCO's report to in the SQD, Group and Wing structures?  Will it be the Chief outside the normal chain of command or will it be within the existing COC?
What's up monkeys?

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on January 01, 2007, 12:03:10 AMYes, he does...

An NCO Corps isn't going to just happen because CAPFLT001 thinks its a good idea.

Anything more than simply appointing a figurehead for all the exisitng military NCO's who choose to keep their existing grade will require:

A full plan, including transition, required professional development, and
transition from the exiting system.

Certain jobs will be for "enlisted" and certain will not.

Unifrm changes will have to be approved by the NEC and BOG, as well as the USAF, and insignia created - we can't just wear their patches, nor would most seniors be happy wearing exisitng cadet insignia.

An NCO Corps, good or bad, would radically change the existing structure of the organization with no tangible benefit to the members or the mission.

This is not something which will just "happen".

We are a corporation with a board of directors, the "CEO" has limited powers, mostly to implement emergency policy.

It is one thing to appoint a RealMilitary® Command Chief to a staff role - it requires no relief of regs, insignia are already approved, and there is no special authority granted.

It is a whole 'nother thing to take someone off the street and call them and NCO.

To call us all "officers" is a stretch in and of itself, but to further subdivide the org "just because", well.  Again, no one here has suggested "why?".

The RealMilitary® is divided between enlisted and commisioned officers for legal reasons related to the rules of war, the Geneva Convention and related issues.

How is that related to CAP?

Jesus Bob!

The guy just appointed to the job to come up with all of those answers.  Go back and look at the Chief's first post!

But instead of sending in any good information or even asking what sort of information was being looked for you started questioning the National Commander's authroity to appoint a POC and do a study!

Get your head out of your ass for 30 whole seconds, would you!
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Chief Chiafos

Mikey, Mikey, Mikey,

Wow, you have one hell of a chip on your shoulder.  How can you put on a military uniform and then claim your not military in nature? Is that what you say to every passer-by while your wearing it - "excuse me ma'm I'm not really in the military".  Perhaps CAP ought to subsitiute the name on our name tags with "Not Really In The Military"!  This is the very schizophrenia that is the ruination of CAP.  For some one who claims to have commanded a military unit you seem to have little knowledge of the NCO or how one plugs into an organization.  My question to you is: can you bring something positive into this converastion.  If you can't then its time for you to rethink wether or not you really belong in CAP.

BillB

Eclipse
What uniform changes?  Read 39-1, the changes you talk about have been in the regulation for years. CAP NCOs wear the standard USAF grade insignia and placement. So what uniform changes are you talking about?
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

SeattleSarge

Welcome Chief.  As you can tell there, is not shortage of opinions here.

I'm a former Army NCO and TSgt with the Seattle Composite Squadron.  I would welcome any and all guidance posted here.

Best regards,

Ronald G. Kruml, TSgt, CAP
Public Affairs NCO
Seattle Composite Squadron PCR-WA-018
http://www.capseattlesquadro.org
pcrwa018@earthlink.net
Ronald G. Kruml, TSgt, CAP
Public Affairs - Mission Aircrewman
Seattle Composite Squadron PCR-WA-018
http://www.capseattlesquadron.org

lordmonar

Chief,

As an active duty USAF MSgt, I got to say...I think this idea is already a looser.

If we restrict this "specialty" track to just previous NCO's...who are we going to "speak the truth, practice fairness, seek justice, demand accountability, enforce standards in wear of the uniform, customs and courtesies, conduct military formations and ceremonies, mentor officers with leadership skills, and advise commanders in the better interests of CAP, its people, and missions." to all the regular CAP officers?

I mean I have a hard enough time convincing young USAF 2d Lt's that mentoring them is in fact one of my jobs....how am I going to convince some CAP Captain that he has got to listen to me?

We already have a system of rank that is confusing to say the least.  We have SFO's with more leadership ability in their little pinky than some of the Lt Cols but they can't even wear 2d Lt rank.  We got Lts commanding squadrons with Lt Cols in them that are ex-active duty generals! (my squadron has two generals!)

On my first take of this program, is that we are going to create a sort of club or clique inside of CAP that will be doing it's own thing.  How are these members going to integrate with the daily running of the squadron?

The make up of my squadron (the Nellis Senior Squadron) would put these NCO's mentoring men and women who are usually older then them...may already have greater rank, more experience and training than them.

I simply don't see a need for them.

I do see a need for SNCOs who are in charge of the cadets.  This is about the only place where they have a natural place in CAP.

So unless we are thinking of a major change to the CAP rank structure (and if you check out this site you can see several different suggestions) that places the rank and file CAP membership under these NCO's I don't see how this can work.

I will keep and open mind and would like to see what ideas you and National have of the subject.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

DNall

Quote from: RiverAux on December 31, 2006, 11:38:41 PM
Although there isn't any such position officially in the regulations the Nat Cdr has authority to create any national committee he wants.  Additionally, he regs are pretty vague on what positions are authorized within national headquarters.  So, I don't see any particular problem here. 
No one's disputing that, just use of the grade - which is 100% appropriate in this situation & very well advised to facilitate communication w/ the AF side just for starters. There's a tiny administrative matter of following regs/bylaws is all. That's a whole other topic seperate from what chief is doing here though, so might I respectfully suggest we drop it or take that to another thread?

Chaplaindon

With all due respect to the good chief, I remain far more than skeptical; I'm frankly cynical. Frankly, regardless of the CV our new CCM and his seemingly sincere and ever-so-good intentions, I see this as little more than another moving about of the "deck chairs" ... this time from port to starboard adjacent to the shuffleboard on the lido deck.

This won't change the writinbg on the wall. What CAP needs are REAL changes, not another person with yet another title.

What's next ... maybe an order of knights or a hereditary nobility?

Rev. Don Brown, Ch., Lt Col, CAP (Ret.)
Former Deputy Director for CISM at CAP/HQ
Gill Robb Wilson Award # 1660
ACS-Chaplain, VFC, IPFC, DSO, NSO, USCG Auxiliary
AUXOP

Eclipse

Quote from: BillB on January 01, 2007, 02:42:54 AM
Eclipse
What uniform changes?  Read 39-1, the changes you talk about have been in the regulation for years. CAP NCOs wear the standard USAF grade insignia and placement. So what uniform changes are you talking about?

Not quite.

Active, Reserve, Guard, and retired NCO's can wear the USAF stripes if they choose to display their NCO grade instead of accepting a CAP Officer appointment.

I seriously doubt the USAF would allow non-military "CAP NCO's" to wear USAF stripes, anymore than we can wear metal / subdued grade today.

That means NEC, BOG, & USAF approval of alternate insignia before it goes near BDU's or blues.

However, it doesn't even appear that this is what is being proposed.

The Chief has said here he would simply be the highest-grade NCO of those NCO's who choose not to accept CAP apointments.

So if that's the case, then no insignia alteration, etc., is necessary, but it also seems like a spurious idea.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: lordmonar on January 01, 2007, 02:33:46 AM
Jesus Bob!

The guy just appointed to the job to come up with all of those answers.  Go back and look at the Chief's first post!

But instead of sending in any good information or even asking what sort of information was being looked for you started questioning the National Commander's authroity to appoint a POC and do a study!

Get your head out of your ass for 30 whole seconds, would you!

The Chief drops into a heated forum like this, where the size of a member's wings are debated like it was life or death, and CAPFLT001's shoe size is called into question on a regular basis, declares that he was appointed to a position which does not officially exist, in command of a corps that was phased out of existence (in CAP) 20+ years ago and I get grief for questioning the legitamacy?

Who said this was a study?  Its being presented as a done deal, with the one RealMilitary® aspect of the idea being that no one asked the rank and file.

This is the kitchen, its hot in here.  You do the math.

And for what its worth, owing to the difficulties he has had getting space on offcial venues like cap.gov, and the Volunteer, Captalk would NOT be the place I would have planted the flag.

"That Others May Zoom"

mikeylikey

Quote from: Chief Chiafos on January 01, 2007, 02:40:24 AM
Mikey, Mikey, Mikey,

Wow, you have one hell of a chip on your shoulder.  How can you put on a military uniform and then claim your not military in nature? Is that what you say to every passer-by while your wearing it - "excuse me ma'm I'm not really in the military".  Perhaps CAP ought to subsitiute the name on our name tags with "Not Really In The Military"!  This is the very schizophrenia that is the ruination of CAP.  For some one who claims to have commanded a military unit you seem to have little knowledge of the NCO or how one plugs into an organization.  My question to you is: can you bring something positive into this converastion.  If you can't then its time for you to rethink wether or not you really belong in CAP.

When I am doing CAP business, I am not in the military.  There are those of us who wish (I am one) that CAP were more like the military but it is not.  It was never supposed to be the military.  I am not the one demilitarizing the CAP.  IT is your BOSS and the Corporate Big Wigs at NHQ.  They have moved the CAP further and further away from the AF.  Compare the organization twenty years ago to what it is today.  Huge differences.  You have been a member, you can see the changes.
  I hope you can bring the CAP-AF relationship closer together than it has ever been.  I would do whatever was asked of me to support that.  However, I take offense to your comments.  Who the heck are you to outright say someone should rethink thier future in CAP because he or she does not agree with what you are going to be doing.  I fully understand the nature and function of an NCO.  Before I was commissioned, those men and women taught me the leadership neccessary to function in the Army.  Today I work side by side with them and have gone to war with them.  However, I also understand that in the end they work for me (the officer).  Let's not loose sight of that.  If we are going to change the NCO corps in CAP to mimick the military, what will you do about that situation?  From what I have read it seemed that you wanted to make the NCO structure seperate from the officer stucture.  I may be reading into too many posts, but that was the impression I got from it.

Like I said before, I will support whatever you do, and what comes from NHQ, but I don't have to like it.  I will give it my best to make it work, buit if it fails it will fail on it's own.  Don't be too quick to ask someone to rethink whether they should leave because they may not agree with you.  That is POOR LEADERSHIP! 

What's up monkeys?

Chief Chiafos

I have received some very encouraging emails from some of you, and its great to know there are stand-up people willing to help.  I have also learned I am not the first CCM.  But apparently my predecessor left no mark on the organization, I assure you, I will not go quietly into oblivion.  

Lordmonar, I prefered to email you, but its hidden.  If you keep thinking the way you do will never make E-8, let alone E-9.  In my time a Staff Sergeant could terrorize a second lieutenant at will.  The fact that you, as a Master Sergeant, seem to lack that skill is not a good reflection on your leadership, perhaps you need to re-visit some NCO courses.  If you, of all people, cannot see an NCO role in CAP, then I must conclude: although you may wear an NCOs stripes, you have probably never really been one.

flyguy06

Quote from: mikeylikey on January 01, 2007, 02:02:27 AM
Quote from: Chief Chiafos on January 01, 2007, 12:10:38 AM
Sure, CAP has long accommodated NCOs, but doesn't know what to do with us.  The NCO Corps will be consolidated into a new specialty track; managed entirely by the NCOs themselves.  That removes us from the control of headquarters, petty politics, and the booby traps of the unending guerrilla warfare that goes on in CAP.  The track will be "closed" that is, if you were not an NCO in the US armed forces, you cannot be an NCO in CAP.  The rationale is simple: prior service NCOs are already trained and experienced, and we must be perceived, both in and out of CAP, as "real" NCOs, or we have no credibility.  This is vital to improving our relationship with the Air Force. But that does not preclude opening the track in the future to civilians who can be properly trained.

The NCO in CAP will do what the NCO does in the military: speak the truth, practice fairness, seek justice, demand accountability, enforce standards in wear of the uniform, customs and courtesies, conduct military formations and ceremonies, mentor officers with leadership skills, and advise commanders in the better interests of CAP, its people, and missions.  This is the road to true professionalism.

CAP IS NOT THE MILITARY.  Great that you were an NCO, it is great we have prior service members in CAP that can lend thier experiances and leadership to the organization.  My Question...What makes an NCO any better at advising commanders on CAPs missions, interests, people then say a "non-NCO"?
I speak the truth, practice fairness, seek justice, demand accountability and enforce standards.  Why do I need an NCO at my side?
Simply put, I command a Field Artillery Battery in the Army, I have subordinate NCO's that do what you are speaking of.  I need them for the unit to function accordingly.  However, that world is SO MUCH different than CAP.

You made one mistake in your entire discussion.  You said " This is vital to improving our relationship with the Air Force. But that does not preclude opening the track in the future to civilians who can be properly trained" 
Never forget even if you are an NCO, in CAP you are a civilian like the rest of us.  How would creating a closed specialty not creat the appearance of an "elite society" within the organization?  How would those of us who wanted to be NCO's and were not in the military be trained?  I will tell you what, I have met my fair share of CAP NCO's that do not know the first thing about CAP, and go through the motions, without adding anything.

I feel this COULD turn out to be a tremenous waste of time and resources.  Like others have said, it may work in Iowa, but seriously, Iowa is not a representation of the entire CAP. 

Finally you say you are our portal to NHQ.  How exactly?  Last time I looked I already have my chain of command.  You quote the military use of NCO's, how then would my portal of communication be through an NCO.  I am an officer, shouldn't it be directed the way it has been for the last twenty or so years?  Never needed a Chief before.  I guess when it is all in place, I will go to my NCO, and ask him or her  "if you have time can you pass my concerns up your NCO grapevine".   

THIS is not an attack against  Chief Chiafos or what he is selling us.  I wish him all the luck at getting this started. 

I for one will remain skeptical, BUT WILL SUPPORT WHATEVER COMES DOWN THE CHAIN AND ALLOW IT FAIL ON IT'S OWN!   

Thats exactly what I am trying to say. He speaks about being a portal, but thats why we have Region Commanders and WIng Commanders. NCO's traditionally are the voice of the enlisted soldier. We dont have enlisted folks inCAP. Everybody is an Officer. SO, whats the deal????????

flyguy06

Quote from: mikeylikey on January 01, 2007, 03:40:50 AM
Quote from: Chief Chiafos on January 01, 2007, 02:40:24 AM
Mikey, Mikey, Mikey,

Wow, you have one hell of a chip on your shoulder.  How can you put on a military uniform and then claim your not military in nature? Is that what you say to every passer-by while your wearing it - "excuse me ma'm I'm not really in the military".  Perhaps CAP ought to subsitiute the name on our name tags with "Not Really In The Military"!  This is the very schizophrenia that is the ruination of CAP.  For some one who claims to have commanded a military unit you seem to have little knowledge of the NCO or how one plugs into an organization.  My question to you is: can you bring something positive into this converastion.  If you can't then its time for you to rethink wether or not you really belong in CAP.

When I am doing CAP business, I am not in the military.  There are those of us who wish (I am one) that CAP were more like the military but it is not.  It was never supposed to be the military.  I am not the one demilitarizing the CAP.  IT is your BOSS and the Corporate Big Wigs at NHQ.  They have moved the CAP further and further away from the AF.  Compare the organization twenty years ago to what it is today.  Huge differences.  You have been a member, you can see the changes.
  I hope you can bring the CAP-AF relationship closer together than it has ever been.  I would do whatever was asked of me to support that.  However, I take offense to your comments.  Who the heck are you to outright say someone should rethink thier future in CAP because he or she does not agree with what you are going to be doing.  I fully understand the nature and function of an NCO.  Before I was commissioned, those men and women taught me the leadership neccessary to function in the Army.  Today I work side by side with them and have gone to war with them.  However, I also understand that in the end they work for me (the officer).  Let's not loose sight of that.  If we are going to change the NCO corps in CAP to mimick the military, what will you do about that situation?  From what I have read it seemed that you wanted to make the NCO structure seperate from the officer stucture.  I may be reading into too many posts, but that was the impression I got from it.

Like I said before, I will support whatever you do, and what comes from NHQ, but I don't have to like it.  I will give it my best to make it work, buit if it fails it will fail on it's own.  Don't be too quick to ask someone to rethink whether they should leave because they may not agree with you.  That is POOR LEADERSHIP! 

I agree again ;D Boy, I am agreeing with e RedLeg too much ;D

MIKE

Everybody go ring in the New Year and give it a rest... Geez.

Mike Johnston

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: MIKE on January 01, 2007, 04:19:30 AM
Everybody go ring in the New Year and give it a rest... Geez.

Sounds like a winnah to me... off to pop the bubbly!
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040