Is there anything to be learned from auxiliaries in other countries?

Started by RiverAux, December 27, 2006, 03:57:14 AM

RiverAux

Since we seem to be on a pie-in-the-sky kick lately, is there anything that other civilian auxiliaries are doing in other countries that could be of use to CAP?  I'm thinking of missions, relationships with their parent service, or pretty much anything else you can think of. 

All of the other ideas on the table are quite optimistic in the amount of change to CAP's system that would be necessary to implement them, so why not expand the scope of where we are looking to for examples beyond a few CAP Wings, the CG Aux, and State Defense Forces (Don't get me wrong, I think we can learn from all of them). 

I don't know if we have anyone with direct experience with other auxiliaries, but you're a pretty internet savvy bunch and should be able to turn up something of interest. 

JohnKachenmeister

Australia has a Civil Air Patrol, but it is not connected to the RAAF.  It is a private organization dedicated to public service.  They sort of do our job and the Coast Guard Aux. Air's job, too... SAR over land and coastal water, watching for boaters in distress, etc.

Canada has the Air Cadets, which IS governmentally affiliated.  Its officers are commissioned Canadian officers.  They no longer have separate service branches, its all the "Canadian Forces" now.  But the officers of the Air Cadets wear the lapel device of the air officers.  I'm not sure if they wear any other special insignia, since when I talked to them last it was at a dining-in with an open bar.  They have no mission other than cadet training.

Another former CAP officer

ZigZag911

RAF Auxiliary (British) is actually their version of Reserves.