Main Menu

Board of Governors

Started by RiverAux, December 27, 2006, 02:59:37 AM

RiverAux

Here are some interesting facts regarding CAP's Board of Governors. 

Did you know that there are 2 positions for Members at Large?  Here are the criteria:
2. Two CAP Members at Large shall be selected as follows:
a. Candidates for consideration must be senior members in good standing; be in the grade of major or above; have been awarded the Paul G. Garber Award; and have at least five years CAP service.
b. Applicants will submit a written application to the National Executive Committee and be selected in accordance with published CAP directives.
c. A Member at Large may not hold any other concurrent position as a CAP corporate officer.
d. Members at Large will be appointed to serve a single four-year term.
e. The Members at Large may be removed from office by a 2/3 vote of the National Executive Committee.

The current Members at large Paul Bergman and Richard Bowling.  So, for any of you who want to make a difference, put in an application the next time an opening comes up.

And, for those of you who weren't happy at the thought of having non-military people on the BoG, did you know that is already the case? 

Here is the fed law on how BoG members are selected:
Composition.— The Board of Governors is composed of 11 members as follows:
(1) Four members appointed by the Secretary of the Air Force, who may be active or retired officers of the Air Force (including reserve components of the Air Force), employees of the United States, or private citizens.
(2) Four members of the Civil Air Patrol, selected in accordance with the constitution and bylaws of the Civil Air Patrol.
(3) Three members appointed or selected as provided in subsection (c) from among personnel of any Federal Government agencies, public corporations, nonprofit associations, and other organizations that have an interest and expertise in civil aviation and the Civil Air Patrol mission.
(c) Appointments From Interested Organizations.—
(1) Subject to paragraph (2), the members of the Board of Governors referred to in subsection (b)(3) shall be appointed jointly by the Secretary of the Air Force and the National Commander of the Civil Air Patrol.
(2) Any vacancy in the position of a member referred to in paragraph (1) that is not filled under that paragraph within 90 days shall be filled by majority vote of the other members of the Board.

Do you know who is in those other 3 slots right now?  A retired USCG Rear Admiral from DHS and the president of Flight Safety International are two of them.  I can't tell from the minutes exactly which person is in the 3rd slot but it is probably one of the retired AF folks. 

So, actually there is a ton of latitude in who is actually making CAP policy.  Heck, all the AF slots could go to private citizens, state emergency mgt agency reps, or anyone else.  I assume DNall knows that the head of the 1st AF is on the BoG now too. 

BillB

There are enough former National Commanders, former Region Commanders etc floating around that LtCol John Doe stands zero chance of being appointed as a CAP Rep to the BoG. Don't forget the politics of CAP
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Major_Chuck

I tried the last time an opening came up.  Former National Commander Rick Bowling was rewarded with the seat.  I received a nice little 'thank you for your interest but get back down where you belong' letter.

(Sorry, I'm a little bitter that the average person serving in CAP doesn't have a voice on the BoG or the NEC and the positions and opportunities like this always seem to go to a former wing/region/or national commader.).

Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard

ZigZag911

Quote from: CAP Safety Dude on December 27, 2006, 03:10:41 AM
I tried the last time an opening came up.  Former National Commander Rick Bowling was rewarded with the seat.  I received a nice little 'thank you for your interest but get back down where you belong' letter.

(Sorry, I'm a little bitter that the average person serving in CAP doesn't have a voice on the BoG or the NEC and the positions and opportunities like this always seem to go to a former wing/region/or national commader.).

This in part is why I keep proposing, to anyone who will listen, that the roles of Wing Commander and National Board Representative for the Wing ought to be separated.

Wing CC could still be a 'corporate officer' (no civil law says corporate officers must belong to the board....most banks are CRAWLING with 'officers' who have nothing at all to do with the board)

NB reps would be selected by wing CC from list of 3 names submitted by a wing level board...criteria ought to be similar to those for at-large membership on BOG....

flyguy06

Quote from: ZigZag911 on December 27, 2006, 04:51:10 AM
Quote from: CAP Safety Dude on December 27, 2006, 03:10:41 AM

These are former Wing/Region?National Commanders. They arent serving in those positions anymore while they are on the Board
This in part is why I keep proposing, to anyone who will listen, that the roles of Wing Commander and National Board Representative for the Wing ought to be separated.

Wing CC could still be a 'corporate officer' (no civil law says corporate officers must belong to the board....most banks are CRAWLING with 'officers' who have nothing at all to do with the board)

NB reps would be selected by wing CC from list of 3 names submitted by a wing level board...criteria ought to be similar to those for at-large membership on BOG....