CAP in Computer Pilot Magazine

Started by capchiro, December 08, 2006, 03:04:49 PM

capchiro

There is a very nice article on CAP and how a mission is begun and persecuted by CAP in Volume 10, Issue 12, December 2006, of Computer Pilot Magazine.  It is very complimentary and portrays an excellent image of what we do from the flight perspective and it also gives honorable mention to the ground crews as well.  There is also a good 20 page article on Flight Simulator X in the magazine as well.  At last, we are getting good publicity.  Too bad it's a British magazine, but at least it is widely distributed in the U.S. That is all, carry on.
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

Bluelakes 13

Indeed, and it's quite good.  Here are some excerpts (I am not sure if it's "legal" to post the whole thing):

"At 0200 (02:00 am) on a sunday morning, the phone rings. the ic (incident commander), still fast asleep, wakes up and answers. "Yeah", he says. "this is sgt brown at the AFrcc" (Air Force rescue control center) he hears, which makes him fully alert. "We have a mission for you", sgt brown continues, "the coordinates are ..." the three sets of coordinates (latitude and longitude) are those of an elt (emergency locator transmitter) hit that one or more of the sArsAt-cosPAs
satellites (see the end of this article) picked up on 121.5 Mhz, the international emergency frequency. this may mean that an elt onboard an aircraft has been activated. that equipment has a switch that turns on the transmitter when it experiences a deceleration of 5 gs or more, such as may be caused
by a crash, e.g. in this one. Since, so far, the satellite hits are all the IC has to go on, he alerts a CAP (Civil Air Patrol) flight crew, gives them the coordinates and
the mission number and authorizes an air search. He also calls one of
his CAP Wing's ground team leaders, who lives closest to the set of
coordinates and tells him to get a team ready and be on standby. From
then on the scenario unfolds along well-rehearsed lines. Those all volunteer,
unpaid, flight crews and ground teams train year- round to be able to execute efficient searches under often difficult weather conditions."

And goes on to describe search techniques on the 182T - very cool.

Pylon

That's awesome to see great publicity for what CAP does in Emergency Services and Operations.  Now if we could get such great recognition in magazines related to education and aviation for CP and AE, as well, we'd be all set!  ;)

Excellent work to those involved and whoever put the "CAP bug" in their ear.   :D

Really though, I'd love to read the article if anybody has a copy or a link to the magazine's website?

I think I have to agree with Lt. Kalemis, though, that posting the article here in its entirety would be a violation of copyright laws.  Posting small excerpts for the purposes of discussion, however, usually falls under "fair use."
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

capchiro

One of my model aircraft/auto magazines just had a spectacular article on CAP and my wife mentioned that Readers Digest had a mention of CAP in it also.  What is with all of this publicity all of sudden?  Unfortunately, I think it is just coincidence and not a major effort by anyone in the organization.
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

DrDave

Can you post which issue of Reader's Digest and which modling magazine the CAP articles were in?

Thanks.  Am maintaining a file of CAP articles from other publications for PAO and Legislative Squadron use -- i.e. objective coverage of CAP by other media/organizations.
Lt. Col. (Dr.) David A. Miller
Director of Public Affairs
Missouri Wing
NCR-MO-098

"You'll feel a slight pressure ..."