New Safety Topic (Humor)

Started by Phil Hirons, Jr., January 24, 2012, 09:25:35 PM

Phil Hirons, Jr.

For when you run out ideas...

Dihydrogen Monoxide FAQ
http://www.dhmo.org/facts.html

HGjunkie

;D

I always crack up with this one. Dihydrogen Monoxide... H2O... Wait a minute!
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Thrashed

Penn & Teller did a whole cable show on this. They got lots of signatures in DC on a petition to ban it. Funny. Stupid hippies.

Save the triangle thingy

SarDragon

I circulated a "warning" at work a long time ago, and the outcry was hilarious. Fortunately, the upper management caught on quickly, and I didn't get into trouble. There was a little damage control to do, though.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

titanII

That joke doesn't work too well in high school, where everyone and their brother has taken chemistry recently ;D
No longer active on CAP talk

JeffDG

Quote from: titanII on January 25, 2012, 12:25:23 AM
That joke doesn't work too well in high school, where everyone and their brother has taken chemistry recently ;D
In high school, I would have referred to water as hydrogen hydroxide, mostly because it generally forms from the combinations of an acid (H+) and a base (OH-) ion.

ProdigalJim

Hey, you guys are missing the point on the REALLY dangerous stuff that nobody's doing anything about. This stuff is odorless, colorless, and increases the intensity of any combustion process or spark. It can also spontaneously explode, especially when combined with oil, grease or coal dust. Inhaling it at 100% concentrations can cause nausea, dizziness, skin irritation, pulmonary edema, pneumonia or even COLLAPSE. Handling it requires special personal protective equipment (PPE), and transport is heavily regulated, both internationally and by the U.S. DOT.

And yet, the most serious emitters of this stuff are COMPLETELY UNREGULATED, and allowed to spew this stuff into the atmosphere...and NOBODY CARES!!!! In fact, in some places (thankfully an increasing rarity these days) these [darn] things are allowed to grow wild for hundreds of thousands of acres.

You chemists out there know what secret substance I'm talking about...  >:D
Jim Mathews, Lt. Col., CAP
VAWG/CV
My Mitchell Has Four Digits...

jks19714

Quote from: Thrashed on January 24, 2012, 10:10:54 PM
Penn & Teller did a whole cable show on this. They got lots of signatures in DC on a petition to ban it. Funny. Stupid hippies.

And yet their precious, huggable trees would die for the lack of it.
Diamond Flight 88
W3JKS/AAT3BF/AAM3EDE/AAA9SL
Assistant Wing Communications Engineer

Cap'n

JeffDG

Quote from: ProdigalJim on January 25, 2012, 11:33:09 PMYou chemists out there know what secret substance I'm talking about...  >:D
Not a chemist, but I know what you're referring to!   >:D

Dad2-4

This has now been shared on my FB page. I'll be fun to see what comments I get.

SarDragon

Yeah, just snatched the second item for my page. Thanks for the idea.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret