Main Menu

2008 NYW Encampment

Started by Michael, January 17, 2008, 09:43:24 PM

Michael

Anybody here applying?  A similar thread was started on the CadetStuff forum, so I thought I'd continue it.

I plan to apply for Training, Comm, and PAO, with the intent to serve as OIC.

Bill Coons, C/Capt

Michael

The website is encampment.nywgcadets.org.

I ended up applying for Flight Commander, Group First Sergeant, and Squadron Commander, in that order.
Bill Coons, C/Capt

afgeo4

GEORGE LURYE

Michael

What kind of training should be acquired to apply for Medical Officer?

Bill Coons, C/Capt

SJFedor

Quote from: MikeTA on February 19, 2008, 09:17:25 PM

Medical school.

*sigh* this continues to annoy me to no end. Medical officers are MDs, DOs, etc, i.e. they're doctors.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

mikeylikey

Quote from: SJFedor on February 19, 2008, 09:58:13 PM
Medical officers are MDs, DOs, etc, i.e. they're doctors.

Wow......that makes sense! 
What's up monkeys?

dwb

Quote from: MikeTA on February 19, 2008, 09:17:25 PMWhat kind of training should be acquired to apply for Medical Officer?

Medical school.

*sigh* this continues to annoy me to no end. Medical officers are MDs, DOs, etc, i.e. they're doctors.

At NYWG encampments, there is a small cadet medical staff that provides first aid.  Most of the time, the OIC is an EMT or something similar, but there's usually one cadet on the staff that only has basic first aid/CPR.

That's what Coons was asking about.

afgeo4

Medical school.

The Medical mentor I remember from a couple of years ago was an RN. No medical school is required. Any serious conditions would require hospitalization anyway.
GEORGE LURYE

JayT

Quote from: afgeo4 on February 20, 2008, 03:20:27 PM

Medical school.

The Medical mentor I remember from a couple of years ago was an RN. No medical school is required. Any serious conditions would require hospitalization anyway.

Then they were a 'Nursing Officer.'
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

arajca

Quote from: JThemann on February 21, 2008, 01:26:16 AM

Medical school.

The correct title is Nurse Officer.

Michael

Quote from: dwb on February 19, 2008, 10:40:09 PM
Quote from: MikeTA on February 19, 2008, 09:17:25 PMWhat kind of training should be acquired to apply for Medical Officer?

Medical school.

At NYWG encampments, there is a small cadet medical staff that provides first aid.  Most of the time, the OIC is an EMT or something similar, but there's usually one cadet on the staff that only has basic first aid/CPR.

The National Encampment Training Manual wasn't really specific about prerequisites for the members of the cadet medical staff, it just says that the OIC should have Basic First Aid and CPR. 

Should the members just have Basic First Aid and CPR?
Bill Coons, C/Capt

SJFedor

Quote from: MikeTA on February 21, 2008, 06:24:28 PM
Quote from: dwb on February 19, 2008, 10:40:09 PM

Medical school.

The National Encampment Training Manual wasn't really specific about prerequisites for the members of the cadet medical staff, it just says that the OIC should have Basic First Aid and CPR. 

Should the members just have Basic First Aid and CPR?

That would seem sufficient. Would be nice to have First Responders and/or EMTs on staff, but since they can't do anything more then basic first aid anyway, why bother.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

Ned

Quote from: MikeTA on February 21, 2008, 06:24:28 PM

It is worth remembering that the document you are referring to is the draft NETM put together by members of NYWG and based on the CAWG ETM.

There is no official national encampment manual. 

At least not yet.

Ned Lee
DCP, PCR

afgeo4

Quote from: JThemann on February 21, 2008, 01:26:16 AM

Medical school.

Nurses are medical/health professionals. RN's are able to do a heck of a lot more than EMTs/Paramedics. In fact, there are few things they can't do... like diagnose and prescribe drugs.
GEORGE LURYE

jimmydeanno

I've been prescribed drugs and diagnosed by nurses...the medical practice I go to I've never met 'the doctor.'  I always get a Physicians assistant or some type of nurse.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

mikeylikey

Quote from: afgeo4 on February 24, 2008, 04:04:58 PM
Nurses are medical/health professionals. RN's are able to do a heck of a lot more than EMTs/Paramedics. In fact, there are few things they can't do... like diagnose and prescribe drugs.

Actually some nurses (Nurse Practitioners) can diagnose and can prescribe drugs.  Physician Assistants can diagnose and can prescribe drugs.  Under federal guidelines, both the nurses and PA's have to get their orders cleared by an MD within five days.  So you are seen by a PA, he or she prescribes you meds and you could possibly be feeling better before the MD even sees your medical record and approved the actions of the PA.

Walmart is opening clinics in most stores before the end of FY08.  They will be staffed by one PA or one NP.  There will be a MD that oversees 5 or more Walmart clinics, but never even has to step foot in one.  It will all be done electronically.  Now.....would I go to a clinic?  No way.  I have my faith in the 90 year old guy that still makes house calls.  He still brings chicken soup his wife makes if you are sick in bed.  That is what medicine should be like everywhere. 

What's up monkeys?

afgeo4

Quote from: mikeylikey on February 24, 2008, 04:56:33 PM
Quote from: afgeo4 on February 24, 2008, 04:04:58 PM

Actually some nurses (Nurse Practitioners) can diagnose and can prescribe drugs.  Physician Assistants can diagnose and can prescribe drugs.  Under federal guidelines, both the nurses and PA's have to get their orders cleared by an MD within five days.  So you are seen by a PA, he or she prescribes you meds and you could possibly be feeling better before the MD even sees your medical record and approved the actions of the PA.

Walmart is opening clinics in most stores before the end of FY08.  They will be staffed by one PA or one NP.  There will be a MD that oversees 5 or more Walmart clinics, but never even has to step foot in one.  It will all be done electronically.  Now.....would I go to a clinic?  No way.  I have my faith in the 90 year old guy that still makes house calls.  He still brings chicken soup his wife makes if you are sick in bed.  That is what medicine should be like everywhere. 

Sorry, my earlier comment was restricted to RNs. Absolutely, NPs and PAs can do all those things.

By the way... that 90 yo doctor... does he bring the soup to you or you to him?
GEORGE LURYE

Cecil DP

Medical school.

Please say Physicians(MD) or Osteopaths (DO). Every profession has  a doctorate of some kind.  If I am bleeding, I do not need  a Doctor of Music to be sumoned by mistake.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

Frenchy

I'm not going to be able to be there this year because of NHGA, but I would highly recommend it to any basic cadets. It's a fantastic experience; trust me, you'll gain a lot of knowledge and a lot of friends both of which will help you later on in your CAP career.
C/Capt Gallop

"Sir if you were my husband, I would poison your drink!"

"Madamme, if you were my wife, I would drink it"
Sir Winston Churchill