Main Menu

LogBook

Started by RogueLeader, September 23, 2007, 03:35:27 AM

RogueLeader

I just got started flying in the right seat, and I was need to get a logbook, or a way to track my flight time.  Does anybody have a idea of where to get one, or make one?
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Fifinella

Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

Flying Pig

Just use a standard log book and change the column names to suit your needs.

RogueLeader

Know where I can get a log book?
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

RogueLeader

Yeah, just say the top one myself when looking around VG.  Still looking for cheap. . . . I know I know. . . .
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Fifinella

Some folks create their own spreadsheets...
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

Flying Pig

Any local flight school will have them, or online pilot supply. You could get a decent one for under $10.

jeders

There's also a free online one at http://www.logshare.com. You can customize it with whatever columns you want.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

c172drv

Quote from: RogueLeader on September 23, 2007, 03:35:27 AM
I just got started flying in the right seat, and I was need to get a logbook, or a way to track my flight time.  Does anybody have a idea of where to get one, or make one?

When you say right seat, do you mean instructing or 121/135?  If it is the latter PM me and I'll send you some info.

John
John Jester
VAWG

RogueLeader

Getting time on Observer Training, need to get Scanner also, but I now have .33 hrs towards Senior Observer  Wings
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

jeders

Quote from: RogueLeader on September 24, 2007, 01:19:03 AM
Getting time on Observer Training, need to get Scanner also, but I now have .33 hrs towards Senior Observer  Wings

Are you saying you're doing Observer without having Scanner? Scanner is a prereq for Observer.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

RogueLeader

Quote from: jeders on September 24, 2007, 01:36:16 AM
Quote from: RogueLeader on September 24, 2007, 01:19:03 AM

Are you saying you're doing Observer without having Scanner? Scanner is a prereq for Observer.
Right, I know, but where is it written that you have to have Scanner to start logging time doing Observer Time.  I will not be an Observer until Scanner is complete, I am just logging the time for the job I was doing.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

RiverAux

Uh, common sense tells you that you can't claim time doing the job of Observer until you actually are an Observer.  Just because you're sitting in the right front seat during a flight doesn't mean that you're an Observer or can claim it as Observer time.

But, if you want to know where it is written, try CAPR 35-6:
Quotei. CAP Senior Observer Rating:
1) Meet CAP observer requirements.
2) Have been an active flying CAP mission observer for 3 years (this service need not be continuous).
3) Have a minimum of 100 hours certified flying time as CAP mission observer.
NOTE: Observer flight time and sorties should be logged in the same manner as pilots are required in the FARs (use of a pilot logbook or similar system is encouraged).

Pylon

Can't count the hours because the Pre-requisite section of the SQTR has to be complete and signed as complete by the Unit CC before you can begin having the rest of the tasks signed off.  Being a fully qualified mission scanner is a pre-requisite to being an Observer trainee.

As was noted earlier via links, Vanguard once again sells the Scanner/Observer logbook.  I use that (bought it from CAPMart) and find it fairly well suited for the job.  For a little over $10, it's a great investment towards tracking your time in the aircraft.

Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

RiverAux

One might even argue that Observer trainee time wouldn't count either...

jeders

Quote from: RiverAux on September 24, 2007, 03:03:10 AM
One might even argue that Observer trainee time wouldn't count either...

I didn't count my observer trainee time. If I had I'd have more than 2 hours as an Observer right now.

RogueLeader

Not even trying to get Observer SQTR tasks signed off.  It's basically: this is what an observer does, and this is how you do it; practice it.  It also helps with my Scanner training as it helps getting my searching pattern down.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

RiverAux

Therefor the time definetely cannot be counted towards Senior Observer wings. 

Frenchie

Quote from: RogueLeader on September 23, 2007, 05:44:23 AM
Yeah, just say the top one myself when looking around VG.  Still looking for cheap. . . . I know I know. . . .

I have an excel spreadsheet I use for all my logging.  It follows the same format as the Jeppesen log books and prints 3 sheets per page so you can keep archive copies in a binder.  You could easily customize it for use as an observer/scanner/pilot or whatever.  It automatically calculates your time.

If you want a copy, just shoot me a PM and I'll email it to ya.