Previous and Future CAP Uniforms

Started by airtrekker5, December 14, 2010, 05:19:19 PM

airtrekker5

What did CAP wear before BDUs? Before that?

There is rumor that we won't be switching to ABUs. Is this true?

Pylon

CAP wore the same uniform the Air Force did before BDUs:  the solid green jungle fatigues.  If I recall correctly, they were phased out for good around when I joined in the 1996 timeframe.

The ABUs transition is at this point nothing more than a rumor.  It may happen, it may not.  What can be said with a degree of certitude is that the ABU transition isn't going to happen this month, and that you're not going to make a bad investment by buying a new set of BDUs.   CAP usually gives members months and sometimes years to continue wearing uniform combinations that are phased out to ensure members have plenty of time to plan the transition.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

manfredvonrichthofen

I can't remember when USAF changed to the BDU but it was well before CAP did. Don't worry, there is plenty of time before we change if we do. Don't worry about it. Plenty of time to go. I wouldn't rush out and get anything, the BDU is here for atleast another year.

DBlair

Quote from: airtrekker5 on December 14, 2010, 05:19:19 PM
What did CAP wear before BDUs? Before that?

We used to wear solid olive green fatigues, known as the "pickle suit" to many of us. They were phased out by the early 1990s, but were allowed to be worn for a few more years until around mid-1990s. Ah, the memories.

For a short period of time, the Vietnam "tiger stripe" jungle uniform (with slanted pockets) was also authorized as an additional uniform during the early 1990s.

OD Fatigues (worn tucked in or out):

(Obviously, without the belt, badge, etc.)

A CAP Example:
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

Ned

As it turns out, just last week I was speaking with the CAP-USAF commander on this very issue.  I was reminding him that BDU availability and pricing were becoming significant issues for the CP, and seeking his insight as to when the ABU might be released for CAP.

He told me that the issue is at the Air Staff level; that the USAF is committed to making the ABU available to CAP, and that the sole issue was ensuring that the USAF needs are fully supplied before making the ABU available for CAP use.

He indicated that he would ping it up through the chain to see if there had been any changes.

Ned Lee

DBlair

That is great to hear, hope it all works out.
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

BradM

Quote from: Ned on December 14, 2010, 05:56:44 PM

He told me that the issue is at the Air Staff level; that the USAF is committed to making the ABU available to CAP, and that the sole issue was ensuring that the USAF needs are fully supplied before making the ABU available for CAP use.

When I went to March ARB (two times) they had plenty of ABUs plus online uniform sites like ePropper.com has them for sale. It doesnt seem to me there is a shortage of ABUs.
BRAD MELILLO, 1st Lt, CAP
Finance Officer
Asst. Professional Development Officer
Brackett Composite Squadron 64
La Verne, CA

manfredvonrichthofen

Out of curiosity does anyone know what color of nametapes will be used?

Hawk200

Quote from: BradM on December 14, 2010, 06:52:58 PMWhen I went to March ARB (two times) they had plenty of ABUs plus online uniform sites like ePropper.com has them for sale. It doesnt seem to me there is a shortage of ABUs.
Has nothing to do with "shortage", it's a matter of Air Force needs being met first (as it should be). The needs of active, Guard, and Reserve airmen come first.

As a side note, shortages can be more local. Just because your local uniform store has plenty doesn't mean another one doesn't. Online sources are irrelevant when it comes to military uniform issue. The Air Force can't and won't tell airman "Oh, not enough here? You can get them online."

On another note, I hope they look OK when they get here, and don't have the current blue tags on them. I Vanguard needs to recoup costs, let them take it out of some of their "donation" money.

spacecommand

I'm going to take a wild guess and say, white text on ultramarine blue.

manfredvonrichthofen

Take a look at these proposals, which one looks better, and which one look flat awkward?
]http://captalk.net/MGalleryItem.php?id=327

HGjunkie

To be perfectly honest, the blue patches look better. I don't like that shade of brown on the first one.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: HGjunkie on December 14, 2010, 08:37:06 PM
To be perfectly honest, the blue patches look better. I don't like that shade of brown on the first one.

I would definitely have to agree. I saw the original post with these proposals and thought of the same thing. My only curiosity is what if they used a gray instead of one with a brownish tint?

Tim Medeiros

Personally, I'm not too concerned about CAP getting ABUs, since I'll be wearing them within a week of 1 Feb anyway.  It is however good to know that progress is being made on its availability to CAP.
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

manfredvonrichthofen

I have a concern about it because we have cadets who want into it really badly and they want to know when they will have them, and I keep telling them give it some time. I also tell them they will have to buy them themselves if they want them anyways so don't be in a massive rush, but go ahead and start saving up for them if you want.

The other concern is surplus is getting thin. There used to be a wealth of uniforms for free for the cadets, and they were in very good shape, most of them now are rather worn or are already needing "DXed" (trashed). Even those that some of the cadets go to get from a surplus store are in bad shape or if they get new ones aren't that good of material and are poorly constructed.

Hawk200

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on December 14, 2010, 08:41:53 PMMy only curiosity is what if they used a gray instead of one with a brownish tint?
The tapes were green, they've faded due to washing and use.

SARDOC

I'm curious about the Supply issue concerning the ABU's.  Correct me if I'm wrong but our members don't go through Air Force channels to get them...so I don't understand how we would impact the Air Force's ability to issue to their folks. 

My only concern is sometimes we travel to the local Air Force Base to the "Airman's Attic" to purchase thrift uniforms for cadets and senior members who want them and even their BDU's are becoming scarce....ABU's are becoming common in the thrift store.

DakRadz

Quote from: SARDOC on December 14, 2010, 09:03:07 PM
I'm curious about the Supply issue concerning the ABU's.  Correct me if I'm wrong but our members don't go through Air Force channels to get them...so I don't understand how we would impact the Air Force's ability to issue to their folks. 

My only concern is sometimes we travel to the local Air Force Base to the "Airman's Attic" to purchase thrift uniforms for cadets and senior members who want them and even their BDU's are becoming scarce....ABU's are becoming common in the thrift store.
CAP members are allowed to purchase uniform items from MCSS and such on base.

Personally, I don't think THAT many members would be purchasing ABU uniforms to the point it would interfere with the USAF supply.
However comma I understand why the Air Force would say "No" until they have enough- no point opening up the market to others when they are still working the kinks out for AD.

manfredvonrichthofen

You know what? Leave it to Ned Lee to be the first to always give us good usable information. Always there with an answer from the NB and other higher command whenever he can.

Col. Lee, Thank you for what you do for us and CAP.

RiverAux

I'd trade switching to ABUs for getting rid of the ultramarine/white stuff on the BDUs.  If we get ABUs with ultramarine on them I'd just cry.  White on a dark navy blue is what needs to happen -- it way different than what the AF has but actually looks professional instead of idiotic.