The Best of Squadron Patches

Started by Pylon, January 09, 2006, 08:41:09 PM

nonposter

Yes, I believe we sent quite a few people on shuttle missions. I however, had not joined at that time (only been a member since Sept of last year), so I cannot provide any more info at this time. I will ask about the patches, and see who/what/where/how they were able to get them.

Oh, and for the record, it's LtCol Younger now  :clap:

- nonposter
PS - I am NOT LtCol younger, just a simple SM in his squad

AlphaSigOU

Try this page: http://www.capaddison.org/news/TX0303.html

This is the patch:

There were some sketches floating around for a Katrina/Rita mission patch, but not much else has come up about it.

Give Col. Younger my regards.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Eclipse

Any assistance anyone can provide with getting either local or national Hurricane relief patches approved would be appreciated - even if just the name, etc.

The fact that we don't have any place we could currently wear it doesn't mean we shold get one done so when updated regs come out we'll already have them

This patch has been proposed for Illinois, but we've had some "issues" getting it through to the right channels.

As soon as I can find the image I'll post ours here:

"That Others May Zoom"

Stephanie Allen

If you go to google.com, click images and search for Squadron Patch...you get some pretty cool patches. My squadron's mascot is the Flying Blood Hounds. Our mascots name is Propwash. (haha...get it?) Perhaps you can do the same thing we did and hold a fundraiser for the name and design of your mascot/patch. Not only would it be a great way to raise money, but it would also be a lot of fun to see how many great ideas people come up with.

C/Amn Allen

P.S. If you wanna see my squadron's patch visit www.kenosha.wiwgcap.org  :)
C/A1C Allen
Flight Sergeant

Yes, sadly, I'm a Flt Sgt and only an A1C...but hey...its been fun! *tehe* Word of advice from the mouth of my fellow Kenosha cadets: "Cabage...not so good at CADEX!" *tehe*

MustangCadet

C/CMSgt Anthony Gallozzi
Mustang Cadet Squadron
RMR-CO-148
HGA White Hat '07

Pylon

Quote from: MustangCadet on February 04, 2006, 08:34:13 PM
How bout here: http://www.mustangcadetsquadron.org/logo-cap-mcs-mcspatch.jpg
thats my units patch on the right.

It violates Air Force heraldry guidelines for squadrons.  I mentioned in the opening of this topic that I was only looking for squadron patches that were appropriately designed.  Thanks for sharing, though.  :)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

kilnerd

it is just an idea but when my unit did a squadron patch we stuck with the AF unit heraldry explanations and it passed through our wing with flying colors. The following is one cadets idea (personally I like it) but it includes alot of reference material

http://forums.cadetstuff.org/viewtopic.php?t=3386
Dana Kilner, Capt, CAP

shorning

Quote from: kilnerd on February 07, 2006, 12:26:04 AM
it is just an idea but when my unit did a squadron patch we stuck with the AF unit heraldry explanations and it passed through our wing with flying colors. The following is one cadets idea (personally I like it) but it includes alot of reference material

http://forums.cadetstuff.org/viewtopic.php?t=3386

Actually, Capt Rajca is a senior member.

dws

My old squadron in NY has this patch (NY219):

Daniel W. Stouch, Lt Col., CAP

shorning

Quote from: dws on February 07, 2006, 06:21:10 PM
My old squadron in NY has this patch (NY219):

Quote from: Pylon on February 04, 2006, 10:50:22 PMIt violates Air Force heraldry guidelines for squadrons.  I mentioned in the opening of this topic that I was only looking for squadron patches that were appropriately designed.  Thanks for sharing, though.  :)

afgeo4

Pylon, the only patch I've so far seen that meets the guidelines of Air Force heraldry was the 10XX one.  I can't believe that so many people claim that their patches meet the standard when they've obviously not read the material.

The USAF clearly states that the Shield type patches are to be used for Command, MAJCOM, and Wing patches.  Group patches are usually rockers and odd shapes.  Squadron patches are Pie type patches with rockers on top and bottom.  The top rocker states the designation of the unit (514th AGS or So-and-So Composite Sqdn or NER-NJ-504) while the bottom rocker sports the motto.  In USAF, the MAJCOM patch is worn on one pocket of the BDU while the Wing patch is worn on the other.  The squadron patch, if worn, is placed half way from name tape to shoulder.  That's why you don't see the Pie type patch on pockets in the Air Force.  It isn't that complicated, so why isn't everyone on board?

As far as Syracuse Comp Sqdn patch, I will forward a redesign of the patch tomy superiors ASAP to be implemented with the next patch order.
GEORGE LURYE

MIKE

Quote from: afgeo4 on February 14, 2006, 09:58:39 PM
Pylon, the only patch I've so far seen that meets the guidelines of Air Force heraldry was the 10XX one.  I can't believe that so many people claim that their patches meet the standard when they've obviously not read the material.

No, the 10th Missile Sq patch does not meet current standards either.

Quote from: AFI84-1053.4.2. A unit with a motto must have two scrolls. Put the unit's designation on a scroll below the disk
and the unit's motto in a scroll above the disc.

Mike Johnston

fyrfitrmedic

Quote from: MIKE on February 14, 2006, 10:14:57 PM

No, the 10th Missile Sq patch does not meet current standards either.

Quote from: AFI84-1053.4.2. A unit with a motto must have two scrolls. Put the unit's designation on a scroll below the disk
and the unit's motto in a scroll above the disc.

I'm guessing he meant the 1001 patch that I posted previously.

I strove to be both correct by USAF standards at the time the design was created [a number of years ago, incidentally] and much as possible by traditional heraldic standards as well. I'm not a subject-matter expert on heraldry but it is somewhere on my list of personal interests...
MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

Lamh Dearg

The USAF clearly states that the Shield type patches are to be used for Command, MAJCOM, and Wing patches.  Group patches are usually rockers and odd shapes.  Squadron patches are Pie type patches with rockers on top and bottom.  The top rocker states the designation of the unit (514th AGS or So-and-So Composite Sqdn or NER-NJ-504) while the bottom rocker sports the motto.  In USAF, the MAJCOM patch is worn on one pocket of the BDU while the Wing patch is worn on the other.  The squadron patch, if worn, is placed half way from name tape to shoulder.  That's why you don't see the Pie type patch on pockets in the Air Force.  It isn't that complicated, so why isn't everyone on board?

Sir, you are incorrect on a number of your assertions - please check the authoritative source: 
"Guide to Air Force Heraldry"
http://afhra.maxwell.af.mil/wwwroot/heraldry/heraldry.html

1) You are incorrect about Groups (Chapter 2):
"Those organizations in the USAF having headquarters are flag bearing organizations, known as establishments, such as groups, wings, and major commands (MAJCOM). Air Force Instruction 84-105, paragraph 3.3. specifies that a USAF flag-bearing organization should display its coat of arms (i.e., emblem design) on a modified heater-shaped shield......"

2) You are incorrect about the arc and rocker on the squadron patches (Chapter 3):
"The disc design for units may have either one or two scrolls. The unit designation should always appear on the bottom scroll (AFI 84-105, paragraphs 3.4.2. and 3.4.3.)....."
"....This design represents a change in policy (See AFI 84-105, paragraph 3.4.2.); consequently, one may often see a unit emblem with the motto in the lower scroll and the unit designation in the upper." 

Pylon

Well at least some of us notice that most of the patches shared don't meet the AF Heraldry guidelines.   :angel:

Anybody else have some squadron, group, or wing patches (that meet AF heraldry guidelines) that they'd like to share?

ddelaney103

Working on it - but my new job keeps me off the Internet during the day.

I'm kicking around an article for CS about developing patches, but I'll try to get the gist down here first.  I have to find a place to keep the images so I can put links to them.

Daniel Delaney

Eclipse

I'll give you space on Group22's site...

"That Others May Zoom"

Pylon

Quote from: ddelaney103 on March 14, 2006, 02:00:17 AM
Working on it - but my new job keeps me off the Internet during the day.

I'm kicking around an article for CS about developing patches, but I'll try to get the gist down here first.  I have to find a place to keep the images so I can put links to them.

Daniel Delaney

You can also click on "Additional Options..." when you post a topic or reply, and upload the images right here to the CAPTalk servers. 

TankerT

Giving this a whirl

Credit goes to TeddA for the design.

(Click for a bigger picture.)

[attachment deleted by admin- older than one year]

/Insert Snappy Comment Here

Eclipse

I've heard the group structure is new to WIWG - is that insignia set in stone, yet?

If not, I would suggest peelng back the eagle a bit so it doesn't look like it is eating the state.

More importantly, though, I would suggest tapering the letters into the lower point instead of jockeying around as they are.

I will be glad to help if needed.

"That Others May Zoom"