Main Menu

October 2006 Safety Day

Started by smj58501, November 25, 2006, 08:48:44 AM

smj58501

I am curious how your Oct 2006 mandatory safety day went in your squadrons. What sorts of activities did you do that set this event apart from a regular monthly safety brief? Any "best practices"? Bottom line, anything you are willing to share which other safety officers can learn from and implement into their program next time.

Our squadron held a quiz bowl focused on various aviation topics (we also covered ground topics via briefing), and while my abilities as a game show host need some improvement, the format appeared to be both fun and beneficial since it forced interaction and good-natured debate. Next time I may try Jeopardy.... it takes some prep (all good training does), but the format lends itself to covering a variety of topics at once.
Sean M. Johnson
Lt Col, CAP
Chief of Staff
ND Wing CAP

CAP428

EXTREMELY boring, almost nothing that applied to cadets except a few passing references to being safe on field exercises and stuff.  Very long, not very useful powerpoints.

After going, I thought to myself, "this is what was SOOO mandatory that I skipped other plans to come??"

Everything that was said that day could have been summed up in a couple of generic safety sentences like "everybody stay safe.  Use common sense."  Same job done, boring 3 hours unnecessary.

Al Sayre

We covered it fairly in depth for our Seniors meeting, but for the Cadets, we went through it quickly and had a guest speaker from the Red Cross come and talk about home disaster preparedness.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787