Main Menu

CAP Business Cards

Started by Lloyd Bumanglag Capt,CAP, September 23, 2008, 05:50:46 PM

RiverAux

It wasn't all that long ago that CAP Mart sold CAP business cards.  I bought a box of them about 7-8 years ago.  I guess they dropped that product when they switched to Vanguard. 

G+10

Quote from: Pylon on September 23, 2008, 06:02:47 PM
The only governing directive mentioning business cards is CAPR 900-2, Civil Air Patrol Seal, Emblem and Flag Etiquette.  It authorizes use of the CAP seal or emblem on Civil Air Patrol business cards when the member's official duty title is used.

I just looked at 900-2 dated 12 Nov 03 and it SPECIFICALLY PROHIBITS the use of the corporate seal (the one that looks like the USAF seal) and ONLY allows the corporate emblem to be used on business cards.

Wow! All the cards I've ever seen show the seal and I don't know if I've ever seen a card with the emblem on it!

Time for us all to make an order with vista print!

John Gniewkowski

Eclipse

Quote from: G+10 on November 26, 2008, 03:05:18 AM
Quote from: Pylon on September 23, 2008, 06:02:47 PM
The only governing directive mentioning business cards is CAPR 900-2, Civil Air Patrol Seal, Emblem and Flag Etiquette.  It authorizes use of the CAP seal or emblem on Civil Air Patrol business cards when the member's official duty title is used.

I just looked at 900-2 dated 12 Nov 03 and it SPECIFICALLY PROHIBITS the use of the corporate seal (the one that looks like the USAF seal) and ONLY allows the corporate emblem to be used on business cards.

You need to re-read that, it literally says the exact opposite, citing business cards as one of the authorized uses for both the emblem and the seal.

See the table on the bottom of Page 4.

The only prohibited use is on personal business cards.  CAP business cards are fully authorized.

"That Others May Zoom"

Duke Dillio

Why is this beginning to sound like the argument in American Psycho???

jimmydeanno

I recently threw out all of my leftover business cards because I realized they were too ostentatious. 

I decided to go with the "don't be afraid of whitespace" approach.  I've attached what I'm using now.

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

dwb

Nice cards, jimmydeano.

Technically, I should get new ones, since I'm not a member of a squadron anymore.  Someday, maybe.

Curt LaFond at NHQ had a really cool, minimalist design for his business cards (and they were portrait orientation!).  Sometimes, less is more.

jimmydeanno

Thanks Dan,

Curt's cards are nice, simple, self-explanatory.

I've been reading the business card ideas and desktop publishing lessons from www.bamagazine.com and recently purchased one of their books, Before and After Page Design.

Still, I'm definitely no expert when it comes to creating these things, but I'm happy with the results.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

MSgt Van

Gotprint.com has good quality cards on the cheap (250 for $8.75). Nice heavy stock.

Pumbaa

I have s template in word and print up 20 or 30 color cards when i need them.  With the way rank changes, etc.. I don't want to waste the money even if it is only $10.

I don't need some fancy card, just a good basic professional looking card.  People in the US do not consider BC's of much importance as say in the Asian culture.

G+10

Quote from: Eclipse on November 26, 2008, 03:16:48 AM

You need to re-read that, it literally says the exact opposite, citing business cards as one of the authorized uses for both the emblem and the seal.

See the table on the bottom of Page 4.

The only prohibited use is on personal business cards.  CAP business cards are fully authorized.

You are correct, I confused the word personal to mean "an individual" when it actually means non-CAP business cards. Got it and thanks!

John Gniewkowski

Stonewall

Here are 3 different business cards that I've had over the years.  The top card is the first one I got, while I was stationed in the Pentagon and found they had a CAP seal in the "personalized service" shop, circa 1994.

The middle one is a format I can't seem to find on my computer, but a cadet actually gave it to me.

The bottom one is just something I put together on Word.
Serving since 1987.

JAFO78

JAFO

KyCAP

OK, stupid question, but what do Air Force business cards look like?
Maj. Russ Hensley, CAP
IC-2 plus all the rest. :)
Kentucky Wing

LtColK

Just had card made up by vista, can't figure out how to post the image, so pm and I'll forward it

Stonewall

Quote from: KyCAP on December 03, 2008, 03:13:40 AM
OK, stupid question, but what do Air Force business cards look like?

I have never seen a standard AF business card.  If there is an AFI that covers business cards I'd be surprised.  But the way everyone just does what they want in the AF, I wouldn't count on there being a standard.

I save everything and yesterday when I was going through my box of business cards looking for a few of my old ones, I came across 3 or 4 different cards from AF folks.  None of them came close resembling the other.
Serving since 1987.

Stonewall

Quote from: dwb on September 23, 2008, 06:12:39 PM
I used VistaPrint.com to do my cards, and I'm very happy with the product.  They were pretty cheap, too, under $20 IIRC.

I created my own design using their Photoshop template.  I've attached an example (with the personal info altered).  My latest revision of this design puts the Core Values in the blue stripe (the values are now in white lettering).  The "CAP Core Values" label sits just above the stripe.

I strongly recommend getting the business cards printed professionally. 

For as often as you'll need business cards, it's worth the investment for them to look awesome.

+1 for VistaPrint.com.  Just checked them out and used their card builder template.  Wish I would have found this when I was a cop.  Our cards cost like $100 from a place called www.shieldcardamerica.com.  Awesome cards, but way too much money.
Serving since 1987.

Stonewall

Just played with the program on vistaprint.com and came up with this.  Didn't order it though.

Just a little fuzzy, but you get the idea.

You can also opt for a back side, which I simply wrote

CIVIL AIR PATROL
www.gocivilairpatrol.com

Serving since 1987.

dwb

I never cared for the command-patch-nested-in-USAF-symbol graphic, but otherwise, the card looks good.

Stonewall

Quote from: dwb on December 04, 2008, 06:34:04 PM
I never cared for the command-patch-nested-in-USAF-symbol graphic, but otherwise, the card looks good.

Me neither.  But isn't that what we're using these days?  I actually found it on an af.mil site as our official emblem.
Serving since 1987.

MIKE

Quote from: Stonewall on December 04, 2008, 06:34:57 PM
Quote from: dwb on December 04, 2008, 06:34:04 PM

Me neither.  But isn't that what we're using these days?  I actually found it on an af.mil site as our official emblem.

IMO, looks better than the seal one as seen in CAPR 900-2.
Mike Johnston