Main Menu

AZWG Encampment 2008

Started by 356cadet, July 04, 2008, 04:35:11 AM

356cadet

That's right, it's over. 7 days of hard training and beating military bearings into our heads. It all ended well, though. How did you like the 4th Arizona Cadet Training Group (Encampment 2008)?

356cadet

I'll go ahead and share my doolie year experience.

The first few days were tough, with all the yelling and early-morning PT. We had to get our bunks extremely perfect. In some cases, I ironed it, hoping it'll be perfect. Of course, it wasn't. My  least favorite parts of those days: drilling outside when it's about 120 degrees, morning PT and holding up those darn Cadet Training Guides (CTGs).

Then came the last three days. Third from last day, the Army National Guard took us to the mountains, and we went ahead to make our own repelling equipment. Then... of course, we went a little repelling down about 20 ft. Some chose to do 50 ft.

On the second to last day, we did one of the highlights: shooting. First, we did 10 rounds of M22, me, accidentally shooting to the target next to mine. Everyone wondered why there were 19 shots on that one target, haha  ;D. But, I was pleased to know, that my shots, and the girl next to me, had all of our shots in the black targets, ranging from 25 yards to 350 yards. Next, we all got to shoot 5 rounds of the M16. Sadly, we only got to do semi-automatic. A select few (from the command staff) got to do automatic, though. It was still fun.

The last day we were there, we did the biggest highlight of the Encampment. The Army National Guard took us to the flightline, and there, we rode in Blackhawks! Actual military Blackhawks used in Iraq Freedom missions! We did a little safety briefing beforehand, watched some Blackhawk videos, and then went on the 20-minute ride. We manuveured through dried-out river valleys, flew 10 feet above the ground of the plateau mountains, and then rode that same height down the slope of the mountain (which freaked out everybody in the chopper, haha!).

On graduation day (the day after the Blackhawks), was the most memorable. They woke us up at 0000 promptly, yelling at us to get up, get changed, go outside, go inside again, change into BDUs and back outside. They yelled at us like there was no tomorrow, yelling as though they've never yelled before. Little did everyone know that this was the induction ceremony to say goodbye to candidate-hood, and hello to cadet-hood. Practically everyone was n tears, even some of the staff. This was an emotional experience in a good way. I even got a little teary myself. that evening, we went on with the graduation ceremony, accepting our completion certificates and Honors Flights, Cadets, NCOs, etc.

In conclusion, Encampment changed my life, big time. It is a memorable experience, and I highly advise any other "cadets," that haven't gone, yet to go. I'm even coming back as staff next year, it was so fun. It's really worth it!

Fourth Arizona Training Cadet Group, HUA!
Seventh Arizona Training Cadet Squadron, HUA!
Bravo Flight, HUA!

EDIT: Watch the video we watched at graduation on what we did on YouTube (yes it's on there). Here's the link:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=IyskEC5WwU0