Microphone connector for Johnson 5300?

Started by BoxGranch, January 21, 2018, 01:36:13 AM

BoxGranch

Anyone know what the connector on the end of the Johnson 5300 microphone cable is and even better, where to get one? This is for a personal radio to adapt a headset to, NOT for a CAP owned radio,

Thanks.

jhighman

I had my Comms guys build just such an adapter. I will run your question past them and see if I can get you some information.

BoxGranch

SarDragon

It's a horrible connector to work with. The contacts are tiny, and the spring-loaded collar is a bear to reassemble.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

BoxGranch

I hate to destroy a good mike just to get a cable with connector. I actually have been watching that to simply get a spare mike since 5300 parts seem to have grown rather scarce. Sigh.

I have understood that audio out is available via this connector (seems reasonable with 13 pins) but when I look at the inside of my mobile mike, they don't have enough wires to cover audio out. What I was hoping for was to build a headset to use with the mobile for base use. One of the ones that cover one ear and have a boom mike. Probably not doable with what is now available and truly hearing what a pain this connector must be to deal with. I'm having enough hassles with the idiot connector for ignition nonsense and speaker. Who ever heard of having to jump connections to use the internal speaker or to disable ignition sense. Give me an Icom any day.

Whine, whine.

At any rate, thanks for the help.

BoxGranch

Quote from: SarDragon on January 21, 2018, 06:03:50 PM
It's a horrible connector to work with. The contacts are tiny, and the spring-loaded collar is a bear to reassemble.

Figured that to be the case! Thanks for the help!

arajca

On the main board inside the radio is a empty connector pin set (10 or 12 pins?) that is used for the remote head cable. IIRC, it's next to where the accessory cable plugs in to. That should have everything you need.

BoxGranch

Quote from: arajca on January 22, 2018, 03:47:59 AM
On the main board inside the radio is a empty connector pin set (10 or 12 pins?) that is used for the remote head cable. IIRC, it's next to where the accessory cable plugs in to. That should have everything you need.

Thanks! Since it is my radio, I'll take a look inside. There are 13 pins on the mike cable, not sure why. If I recall correctly from peeking into the mike there was a common ground, an audio in, an off hook, and a PTT lead for a total of 4, but I might be remembering a different mike. I'm not sure how many leads are needed for programming.

I have heard that audio out is available through the connector. It seems very plausible that audio out is that internal connector if it for a remote head. Hmm, if I could find the pigtail that exited the radio for connection to the remote head, that might make it easier. It looks like there is some sort of standard DB connector on the end of that pigtail.

Another thought is to wonder what the connector is used on the remote head. It sort of looks like the one for the mike in the manual, but that would be way too easy. If it were, I could buy one of the remote head cables off eBay and modify that.

SarDragon

The front panel connector uses 3 or 4 pins for programming functions, and the same number for transmit/hanger functions. A couple of them are also grounds. I'm still looking for my manual.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

BoxGranch

I found a remote cable on eBay and it appears that the cable has the opposite connector from the mike, so no go for using that.

The manual says the remote pigtail cable from the radio has a DB15, so if I could find one of those, (NOT holding my breath) I could at least try. It appears to route the audio out to the speaker in the remote head, so presumably when it is connected, it would mute the audio from the speaker on the radio. That said, there are a bunch of obscure settings with remote heads and I am not sure what happens when that pigtail is installed, It may bypass all the stuff on the front of the radio thinking there is a remote head connected. On the other hand, it is possible to have a dual control setup that allows the standard front panel to work with a remote head if you can sort out some dip switch settings.

Overall, however, this is starting to sound like a no go unless I bumble into a really sharp Johnson 5300 tech and access to some parts or the pinouts on those cables. Sigh. It seemed like a good idea ....

SarDragon

Mic pinout attached.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Fubar

Quote from: SarDragon on January 24, 2018, 03:52:05 AM
Mic pinout attached.

Wadda guy! Thanks!

Looks like there is audio available through the mic jack.

BoxGranch

Quote from: SarDragon on January 24, 2018, 03:52:05 AM
Mic pinout attached.

Thank you so much!! Now to find the connectors and not lose my mind putting them together! :-)

SarDragon

Good luck on messing with a connector. The wires in the cables are tiny, too.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Brad

Courtesy of the CAP Comm Library (see attachment)

There's also one for the Micom, made it at NESA last year, works great and they can even be daisy-chained so that a trainer can listen in on a trainee's incoming traffic and not have to expose the whole room to HF noise.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN