GTM3 Qualifications

Started by DakRadz, July 27, 2010, 06:59:26 PM

DakRadz

So I'm trying to find information on how to become GTM3 qualified, and there are several regulations dealing with this- the two I've seen both point to something else when referencing quals.

Now, I believe I'm looking for the SQTR- I don't know what that stands for, but it sounds like (from what I've read here and in reg) this is a task guide which must be completed/signed off on.

So, if I'm reading this right, I need to find the SQTR. Upon searching for this on gocivilairpatrol.com, I couldn't find a link.

Could someone please direct me towards the SQTR or whatever it is I need and then do a bit of explaining? Thanks in advance.

R/

SJFedor

Google GTM3 SQTR.

You can also find it in eServices, under operations qualifications/emergency services/SQTRs/print blank worksheets.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

DakRadz

Ah, the power of Google. Thanks!

And also:
hehehe, I got it right ;D

DakRadz

Complete Task O-0001 Prepare Individual Equipment
Complete Task O-0002 Conduct Individual Refit
Complete Task O-0003 Prevent and Treat Hot Weather Injuries
Complete Task O-0004 Prevent and Treat Cold Weather Injuries
Complete Task O-0101 Identify Natural Hazards
Complete Task O-0102 Prevent and Treat Fatigue
Complete Task O-0103 Conduct Field Sanitation and Hygiene
Complete Task O-0201 Use a Compass
Complete Task O-0601 Conduct actions if Lost
Complete Task O-0902 Exercise Universal Precautions
Complete Task P-0102 Conduct a Phone Alert

Please tell me why this looks way too easy...?

I'm guessing I'll have to find a GTM/GTL in order to have all this taught to me/signed off.

Short Field

Because you are not reading the task guide, only the name of the tasks on the SQTR. 
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

DakRadz

That makes more sense. I know I've seen it before, but I've lost it somewhere along the way..

A little guidance to the task guide? This is all new to me, so I've no idea what key words to look for.

tsrup

Quote from: DakRadz on July 27, 2010, 07:31:32 PM
That makes more sense. I know I've seen it before, but I've lost it somewhere along the way..

A little guidance to the task guide? This is all new to me, so I've no idea what key words to look for.

Two words:  "Green Book"

If you want to be a GTM, and eventually a GTL, you should invest in one of these.

edit: since most things now are printoffs:  http://www.nesa.cap.gov/curriculum_material/GSAR/G&UDFTG.pdf

or if you want it in hard form: http://www.vanguardmil.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6_2418&products_id=14895
Paramedic
hang-around.

Short Field

SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

vento

Quote from: DakRadz on July 27, 2010, 07:15:41 PM

I'm guessing I'll have to find a GTM/GTL in order to have all this taught to me/signed off.

What you have listed is only the "Familiarization" portion of the training.
You will also need to complete the following:
- IS100 - IS-100
- IS700 - IS-700
- Complete Basic Communications User Training
- Complete Basic First Aid Training or Equivalent
- Complete Task L-0001 (Basic Communications Procedu...
- Complete Task L-0002 (Perform radio operating proc...
- Complete Task L-0003 (Employ appropriate radio fre...
- Complete Task O-0301 Determine distress beacon bea...
- Complete Task O-0302 (Locate a distress beacon)
- Complete Task O-0403 (Employ scanning techniques w...
- Complete Task O-0404 (Move as part of a search lin...
- Complete Task O-0405 (Communicate to other members...
- Complete Task O-0406 (Use whistle signals)
- Complete Task O-0407 (Conduct attraction technique...
- Complete Task O-0408 (Identify aircraft search clu...
- Complete Task O-0409 (Identify missing person sear...
- Complete Task O-0410 (Mark a route)
- Complete Task O-0411 (Conduct individual actions o...
- Complete Task O-0412 (Conduct individual actions o...
- Complete Task O-0413 (Participate in a hasty searc...
- Complete Task O-0502 (Participate in a litter carr...
- Complete Task O-0702 (Use a signal mirror)
- Complete Task P-0101 Demonstrate the ability to ke...
-- Exercise Participation-Ground Team Member
-- Exercise Participation-Ground Team Member #2
--- CAPT 117 ES Continuing Education Exam - Part 1

davedove

Quote from: DakRadz on July 27, 2010, 07:15:41 PM

You've also only listed the Familiarization and Preparatory Tasks here.  These are the tasks you must complete before you allowed to function as a GTM3 trainee on a mission.  To become fully qualified, you must also get signed off on the Advanced Training tasks and participate in two missions.  After all that, and the requisite approvals, THEN you will be a fully qualified GTM3 and get your badge.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

DakRadz

tsrup- Thank you very much. I think I'll go with the hard copy, easier to carry around/study. Now I feel like I might have a real chance at getting this done

And upon seeing vento's post, disregard that last remark.

Looks like NESA it is, then.

SJFedor

Quote from: DakRadz on July 27, 2010, 07:45:31 PM
tsrup- Thank you very much. I think I'll go with the hard copy, easier to carry around/study. Now I feel like I might have a real chance at getting this done

And upon seeing vento's post, disregard that last remark.

Looks like NESA it is, then.

NESA is a good way to do it, both at the GTM3 level and the higher GTM levels. You'll enjoy the school and the experience.

[/shameless plug]

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

Thunder

You won't regret NESA - even if you are already GTM3 qualified. You will only wish you went sooner.

DakRadz

I want to do NESA, but I was hoping to start a bit early, just to get some experience. However, our fairly new squadron doesn't have so much as a GTM Trainee... I would be the SME if I started on it. And I want someone with know how to train me.

so, I look forward to NESA. I was accepted this year, but it was NESA or encampment... Encampment being necessary for my Mitchell. So.

Spaceman3750

Quote from: DakRadz on July 28, 2010, 02:14:43 AM
I was accepted this year, but it was NESA or encampment... Encampment being necessary for my Mitchell. So.

If money was/is an issue you should have looked at the kitchen scholarship (or whatever they call it). Basically you work kitchen crew for a week and go to a school for a week tuition waived. Great deal and from what I passively observed this year they had a really great time in the kitchen.

You might want to keep it in mind for next year :).

If timing was an issue, there's two sessions for Basic and Advanced school.

husker

Or go to this school:

http://wess.alwg.us

It is an Alabama Wing activity that has quite a few NESA GSAR staff on it.  You can get GTM3, 2, 1, UDF, GTL, MRO, MSA, and a number of other ratings (depending on what tract you attend).  Its consistently one of the largest activities in Alabama (pulling over 100 folks per weekend last year).  Units and members from Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee, Florida, and Mississippi come. 

It is within driving distance for you (there is actually a unit from Savannah that has expressed interest in coming this year).
Michael Long, Lt Col CAP
Deputy Director, National Emergency Services Academy
nesa.cap.gov
mlong (at) nesa.cap.gov

DakRadz

Camp Atterbury was also fairly far away, along with other timing issues. This summer was just a bad one.

husker, checking now. Very interested

Spaceman3750

Quote from: husker on July 28, 2010, 02:51:43 PM
Or go to this school:

http://wess.alwg.us

It is an Alabama Wing activity that has quite a few NESA GSAR staff on it.  You can get GTM3, 2, 1, UDF, GTL, MRO, MSA, and a number of other ratings (depending on what tract you attend).  Its consistently one of the largest activities in Alabama (pulling over 100 folks per weekend last year).  Units and members from Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee, Florida, and Mississippi come. 

It is within driving distance for you (there is actually a unit from Savannah that has expressed interest in coming this year).

I think that school is literally run as an extension of the annual NESA. Like the Alaska flavor of NESA.

capes

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on July 28, 2010, 05:13:51 PM
I think that school is literally run as an extension of the annual NESA. Like the Alaska flavor of NESA.

The NESA GSAR Commandant (who I think is husker above) runs that program.  Reading the history, it looks like it was started by he and John Desmarais back in the late 90's to test the new (at that time) ES curriculum.

capes

It looks like that activity has the information on the 2010-2011 training up now http://wess.alwg.us

Cms.sloane

I just got GTM3 Trannie signed off. All the task look easy but the most painful are hot and cold weather. I hate them.