Proposal to fix Lt.Col Coffebringer "Issue"

Started by Ratatouille, May 31, 2014, 04:33:18 AM

Mitchell 1969

In the greater scheme of things, this "problem" isn't one and proposed "solutions" aren't needed.

In short, it's just pole vaulting over mouse turds.

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

Johnny Yuma

Iowa wing had a fix for this, but that was back when IAWG was allowed to be proactive and get things done.

Since then the good ol boys got their wing back, ran off the folks who did things and watched a 6 figure budget from their TAG go bye-bye.
"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven:

Eclipse

Quote from: Johnny Yuma on July 27, 2014, 05:02:01 AM
Iowa wing had a fix for this, but that was back when IAWG was allowed to be proactive and get things done.

Oh, you mean by essentially making up their own rules, alienating members, circumventing command authority,
and then nearly collapsing when a select few members who didn't get their way broke their own toys, took their ball and went home?

Right.

"That Others May Zoom"

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Storm Chaser on July 22, 2014, 06:31:29 PM
In CAP, there are several specialties that allow members to be get promoted up to Lt Col without having to serve at Group or Wing. In addition, a member with no prior cadet or military background or special skills can theoretically promote to Lt Col in 10 years. With many longterm members serving at least 20 years, that's half (or less) of their entire CAP career. So what do they do then?

This really is not what you are talking about, because the person I am talking of did serve at Squadron (in fact he was my first squadron CC), Wing (we did not have Groups then) and ultimately Region level.  In fact, in one year he rapidly went from my squadron CC to Wing IG to Wing Commander.  He was a bloody good one, but he did not serve out his term (he did almost three years) because of (surprise) burnout.  Plus, it was nice having a little easier access to the wingco because we knew him better than most people in the wing, and he would show up not infrequently at squadron meetings and give us inside information that had not yet been widely disseminated (we found out about the grey shoulder marks and U.S. collar brass from him). 8)

However, I remember after he got his GRW, he showed up at one of our squadron meetings.  He said "My training is done; there really is not more I can do for CAP."  Which was not true; he spent some time at Region level as Professional Development Officer, but after 40+ years in CAP as a cadet/senior (he told me that he put so much into CAP because he had health issues that kept him from serving in the Armed Forces) I think he had finally had enough.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Chappie

It is unfortunate that some complete their PD training (attaining the GRW), attain the grade of Lt Col, have served at all levels of CAP...and then feel that their career in CAP is over.  During the short times that I have had a brief hiatus between assignments, I have thoroughly enjoyed hanging out at the local squadron.  Being able to help encourage members -- cadets and seniors alike -- in their CAP experience is very rewarding.  Having participated at all types of CAP activities and events...as well as serving at the various levels certainly provides a perspective that can be useful to those who are beginning their CAP careers or even struggling in them.  There is something to be said about mentoring. 

One of the concerns expressed was that after serving at higher positions in Wing, Region, or National, that the Maj or Lt Col wants to "take it easy" and does not want to assume command of a squadron.  One of the purposes of the PD program is develop leadership within the organization.   As a former squadron, group, wing, region chaplain, it is personally fulfilling and regarding to see those who I have mentored take on these positions of responsibility.  Would I want to become a squadron chaplain again?  You bet I would.  Would I want to become a Group Chaplain again?  Yes...if there were no others available in the Group (there was a time when I was the only Chaplain in the Group that my home squadron was a part of).  Would I want to be a Wing or Region Chaplain again?  No.  That would deprive other chaplains from receiving the rewarding experience of serving at those levels...especially when they have pursued the levels of training that have prepared them for these responsibilities.  What then would be my role -- giver of sage advice when called upon -- presenter of sessions at Chaplain Corps Region Staff College or the Wing Conference break out sessions for Chaplain Corps personnel -- bringing coffee to the Wing or Region Chaplain...not ;) 
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

Eclipse

Quote from: Chappie on July 27, 2014, 04:26:33 PM-- giver of sage advice when called upon --

There's where the problem lies, in either direction.

In a perfect CAP, members wearing oaks or higher should be the most experienced, knowledgeable, and capable
people in the room, far exceeding the knowledge and experience of the unit CC, and informed at a scope greater
then the unit.  This is by design.  Which means that anything said which doesn't sound "right" results in the
whole room turning around and seeing what Major Payne thinks, not to mention more then a few people
asking why Major Payne isn't just standing in the front of the room.  BTDT.  It's not comfortable or fair
to Payne or the CC.

In the real world of CAP, members wearing oaks are sometimes the least knowledgeable and capable people in the
room, and may have no relevent experience (either due to age, GOBN, or both) whatsoever, however in far too many
cases, those oaks "empower" these same individuals to offer their sage advice on a regular basis, unbidden
not to mention more then a few people asking "how did someone so clueless get to that level"?

It is an FWA-level squandering of time and effort for someone with effective Wing+ experience to go back down to a
unit level, especially considering that some of that time and experience came at CAP expense.  Likewise,
it is unnecessarily and many times unacceptably disruptive for someone who moved up and failed to work and play well
with others to come back to a squadron and play Yoda.  That's why so many Level IV Lt Cols ascend and then bounce in
a year or two.  Seen it time and again.

Something intended, theoretically, to help this situation is the command track, which is supposed to connect new
members interested in ascending with experienced mentors.  I have a jumpstarted Senior rating (2 months shy of Master),
and know of a fair number of people in my wing who also jumpstarted to Senior or Master, yet to my knowledge
NO ONE is actually enrolled in the front end of this track, nor has anyone been assigned as a mentor.

How prevalent has this program been beyond awarding hundreds of meaningless jumpstarts?

"That Others May Zoom"

LSThiker

Since then the good ol boys got their wing back, ran off the folks who did things and watched a 6 figure budget from their TAG go bye-bye.

After reviewing the old Iowa "Experiment" threads, which might be interesting to write up a historical manuscript of it, I will have to say that is a over simplified generalization.  Were there good things about it, sure.  Were there some bad things about it?  Yes as the sudden collapse of it demonstrated. 

Johnny Yuma

Quote from: Eclipse on July 27, 2014, 05:29:14 AM

Oh, you mean by essentially making up their own rules, alienating members, circumventing command authority,
and then nearly collapsing when a select few members who didn't get their way broke their own toys, took their ball and went home?

Right.

Your description could also accurately describe the actions of those who opposed the Iowa Wing experiment as well.

Bottom line is they had a lot more missions, a respectable state budget and a place at the table with their own state EM agencies during the program than before nor after.
"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven:

The CyBorg is destroyed

The Colonel I referred to in my post was one of those who could be a veritable fountain of information on anything to do with CAP, but in the end I think he had just given so much over his many decades as both a cadet and senior that he was just tired.  He also was not a young man any more.  I think he had enough flying hours to be a CAP Command Pilot; he got awarded his Senior Pilot wings not long after I joined, and that was in 1993.

He spent a lot of time at Maxwell AFB and became personal friends with several national CC's.  My unit was often privy to goings-on before they were known generally throughout CAP thanks to him.

I owe much of my knowledge of CAP to him.  He had the patience to sit down and talk with a shy, then-relatively-young SMWOG who often is not easy to talk to and make sure he knew his stuff before getting his butterbars.

If we had Lt Col's, Col's and Generals who could make themselves available in that way, I think CAP would be much better for it.

Then again, I realise that is not realistic as the Colonel I just described was a "do-not-grow-on-trees-every-day" type.

Exiled from GLR-MI-011