Main Menu

It's finally here!

Started by Storm Chaser, December 31, 2013, 06:25:47 PM

Panache

I wonder how long before we see the next draft.

Not a complaint or "hurry up!" comment... just genuinely curious.  I know they probably have to sort through a ton of comments & suggestions that were submitted via eServices, and I imagine they want to finish up the artwork.

NIN

Quote from: Panache on January 14, 2014, 04:23:37 AM

Not a complaint or "hurry up!" comment... just genuinely curious.  I know they probably have to sort through a ton of comments & suggestions that were submitted via eServices, and I imagine they want to finish up the artwork.

Word is there were "several hundred" comments.

And the artwork. :)
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

a2capt

Quote from: Panache on January 14, 2014, 04:23:37 AMI wonder how long before we see the next draft.
Oh come on, it only took them the latter half of 10 years, and I certainly got the impression that this was shoved out due to the "this year" comment. Now they have a whole lot more time again.  8)

"were"? Is the comment period closed?

Shuman 14

Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

a2capt

NIN

Quote from: a2capt on January 14, 2014, 04:32:02 AM
Quote from: Panache on January 14, 2014, 04:23:37 AMI wonder how long before we see the next draft.
Oh come on, it only took them the latter half of 10 years, and I certainly got the impression that this was shoved out due to the "this year" comment. Now they have a whole lot more time again.  8)

"were"? Is the comment period closed?

BTW, saying it took "10 years" to create the new 39-1 is like saying it took George Lucas 16 years to make the Phantom Menace.

Its not like someone instantly set about working on the new 39-1 the minute the old one was released like he was Gutenberg or something.

I may have misspoke.  There ARE several hundred comments (so far). Not sure if I know when the comment period closes.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Panache

a2capt

I said the latter half of 10 years.. and that jives with the whole "endless moratorium" turned into Infinite Change Letter chain.

NIN

Quote from: a2capt on January 14, 2014, 06:19:53 AM
I said the latter half of 10 years.. and that jives with the whole "endless moratorium" turned into Infinite Change Letter chain.

You're right, you did say the latter half of 10 years. Somebody else  said 10 years earlier, as if it was the entire period.

:)
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

RiverAux

Quote from: NIN on January 14, 2014, 04:40:43 AM
I may have misspoke.  There ARE several hundred comments (so far). Not sure if I know when the comment period closes.

If its anything like this thread, at least half of them aren't simply pointing out mistakes, its making entirely new recommendations, which I doubt will go far. 

NIN

Quote from: RiverAux on January 14, 2014, 12:03:48 PM

If its anything like this thread, at least half of them aren't simply pointing out mistakes, its making entirely new recommendations, which I doubt will go far.

To a point, I think you are correct . The broader policy implications of a lot of the suggestions are likely beyond the scope of the 39-1 rewrite.

So a comment that says that the graphics for collar insignia is messed up, sure, that's going to get handled. The comment that suggest we do away with the entire grey and white uniform will likely go in the "later" pile.

I do think that comments that point to larger inconsistentencies may very well get addressed. Maybe not in this draft, or even the final 39-1 that. comes out from the draft, but it could certainly raise the awareness and put the issue on the table for any subsequent changes.

If the majority of the comments are suggesting, say, that there be some sort of headgear for the Aviator uniform, then perhaps the NUC will examine the alternatives in greater depth. Now may not be the time for that in order to get the uniform manual out the door.

I have to give Colonel Griffith credit as chair of the rewrite committee. I can imagine there have been a number of false starts over the last 6 or 8 years, and as we know from here on CAP Talk, uniforms are a divisive issue. Everybody wears one, everybody has an opinion about them. Not everybody is in agreement as to how they should be executed. So you can imagine that even in a small group, it's hard to reach a consensus. You have factions arguing for their party lines, and people who would, even inadvertently, derail the process with a lot of distracting information. It must have taken a very focused group to get this far.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

PHall

Quote from: Panache on January 14, 2014, 04:23:37 AM

What makes you think there will be another draft put out for comment?

No, the next time you see this regulation it will be when it's released.

Storm Chaser

Quote from: CyBorg on January 14, 2014, 02:02:16 AM
Personally, I believe that SMWOG should be allowed to wear metal cutouts (on BDU's) and have the same "turn them back in" opportunity that others have mentioned they do with their cadets.

Unless they're NCO's, the vast majority of them are going to be sewing on 2nd Lt in six months anyway, so it's a bit of an annoyance to have to put on the cloth BDU's and just take them off again.

I don't necessarily disagree with your point, but how do you then differentiate between a new young SM and a new older cadet? On the service uniform, you have the gray name tag, but the only differentiator on the BDU is the embroidered CAP cutouts.

a2capt

Quote from: PHall on January 14, 2014, 04:07:42 PMNo, the next time you see this regulation it will be when it's released.
What makes you think there won't be another draft?
They have put out double drafts in the "we don't even have to put a draft out, era", so it would not be without precedent.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: a2capt on January 14, 2014, 05:09:30 PM
Quote from: PHall on January 14, 2014, 04:07:42 PMNo, the next time you see this regulation it will be when it's released.
They have put out double drafts in the "we don't even have to put a draft out, era", so it would not be without precedent.

Who knows how many "drafts" this will go through before a "permanent" one is reached?
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

NIN

Quote from: a2capt on January 14, 2014, 05:09:30 PM

I suspect there will not be many more drafts. The press is on to get this out to the membership.

We've had our bite at the apple, STS.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

umpirecali

I saw where the new silver on navy insignia was discussed on the blue BDU. I read the first 10 pages and the later couple so I don't know if this has been mentioned before but VG now has the new insignia in stock.

http://www.vanguardmil.com/civil-air-patrol-senior-grade-cloth-insignia-first-lieutenant-navy-blue-p-7192.html
Capt Chris Cali, CAP
Deputy Commander
Deputy Commander for Cadets

Eclipse

Quote from: umpirecali on January 15, 2014, 02:13:33 PM
I saw where the new silver on navy insignia was discussed on the blue BDU. I read the first 10 pages and the later couple so I don't know if this has been mentioned before but VG now has the new insignia in stock.

http://www.vanguardmil.com/civil-air-patrol-senior-grade-cloth-insignia-first-lieutenant-navy-blue-p-7192.html

Those aren't new.

They have been approved for a number of years for wear on dark blue flight and jumpsuits.

"That Others May Zoom"

Panache

It should be reinforced that the draft is still exactly that, a draft, so don't go swapping out your ultramarine tapes and grade on your BBDUs with navy until it gets approved.

skymaster

Quote from: umpirecali on January 15, 2014, 02:13:33 PM

Actually, that is NOT the proposed insignia for the ABU field uniforms. The current navy blue background insignia uses a white thread to represent silver coloured insignia; the proposed ABU (and eventually, other field uniform combo tape colour) replaces the white thread with silver, which actually looks grey when embroidered. It is the same exact navy blue and grey colour that Vanguard makes for the U.S. Navy for name and branch tapes for senior enlisted on the USN Coverall uniform, but with the branch insignia in an Army/AF pattern rather than a Navy/Marines/Coast Guard pattern.