Main Menu

It's finally here!

Started by Storm Chaser, December 31, 2013, 06:25:47 PM

abdsp51

Quote from: Brad on January 06, 2014, 05:24:16 PM
Found one in the giant table in Attachment 4. Left and right shoulders are reversed! The (now optional until 2017) American flag is specified for wear on "LS", the left shoulder, in the attachment, but 5.1.2.3.2 says an optional wing/region/national patch can go there. In fact look at that whole section of the table, the American flag patch is listed as LS but it's always been worn on the right shoulder, and the wing/region/national patches are supposed to be on the left shoulder, but it's backwards!

Flight suits only.

Brad

Quote from: abdsp51 on January 06, 2014, 05:37:45 PM
Quote from: Brad on January 06, 2014, 05:24:16 PM
Found one in the giant table in Attachment 4. Left and right shoulders are reversed! The (now optional until 2017) American flag is specified for wear on "LS", the left shoulder, in the attachment, but 5.1.2.3.2 says an optional wing/region/national patch can go there. In fact look at that whole section of the table, the American flag patch is listed as LS but it's always been worn on the right shoulder, and the wing/region/national patches are supposed to be on the left shoulder, but it's backwards!

Flight suits only.

Doh! You're right, just remembered that "FDU" = Flight Duty Uniform and not "Field Dress Uniform", aka BDU lol. Yea idk where that one came from either, just used to seeing "Flight suit" and not "FDU"
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

arajca

I think they're trying to get the pilots to dress properly for general meetings...

sarmed1

Quote from: LSThiker on January 06, 2014, 01:13:17 AM
Quote from: abdsp51 on January 05, 2014, 10:43:44 PM
Where are you getting your info?  Because BMI for the AF only comes into play when you flop your PT test because of the waist measurement.

Oh I am fully aware of the 39" waist line measurement as apart of the PT test.

updated by ICL in Oct 2013;  I dont have it in front of me; but basically if 39" or over (for males; not sure of the female...think its 37")  will use a BMI tape test...must be under 17% I think (for males) and I think 24% for females.  it spells out then what parts are measured, think its like neck, waist and wrist...

mk
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: arajca on January 06, 2014, 06:47:39 PM
I think they're trying to get the pilots to dress properly for general meetings...

Would that include pilots in senior squadrons who don't wear anything but the leather nameplate? >:D
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

LSThiker

Quote from: CyBorg on January 06, 2014, 07:48:07 PM

Would that include pilots in senior squadrons who don't wear anything but the leather nameplate? >:D

How does one attach a leather nameplate to bare skin?  >:D

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: LSThiker on January 06, 2014, 07:53:57 PM
Quote from: CyBorg on January 06, 2014, 07:48:07 PM

How does one attach a leather nameplate to bare skin?  >:D

Rim shot.  You got me on that one.

I would assume Krazy-Glue?
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

LSThiker

Quote from: CyBorg on January 06, 2014, 07:54:50 PM

Hmmm.  I guess cadet protection only applies to cadets and not seniors.  Let the senior member hazing begin.

arajca

Quote from: LSThiker on January 06, 2014, 07:57:05 PM
Quote from: CyBorg on January 06, 2014, 07:54:50 PM

Hmmm.  I guess cadet protection only applies to cadets and not seniors.  Let the senior member hazing begin.
Begin? When has it ever stopped?

NIN

Quote from: arajca on January 06, 2014, 08:09:16 PM
Begin? When has it ever stopped?

"The senior member hazing will continue until morale improves"
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

jeders

One thing that I really like about the draft manual is the greatly increased detail in regards to flight suits. I know that the plastic encased insignia has been mentioned, but I didn't see anything about the attachment method mentioned yet, so I thought I'd throw this out there.

Quote8.2.4.6.1Officer Rank Insignia. Officer rank insignia will be sewn directly to the FDU using OD or clear plastic thread.

So no more velcro rank on the flight suit.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

LSThiker

Quote from: sarmed1 on January 06, 2014, 07:45:49 PM
updated by ICL in Oct 2013;  I dont have it in front of me; but basically if 39" or over (for males; not sure of the female...think its 37")  will use a BMI tape test...must be under 17% I think (for males) and I think 24% for females.  it spells out then what parts are measured, think its like neck, waist and wrist...

18 percent, which if I remember correctly, the DoD does not allow anything less for the services.  For females, it is 26%.  For males, the tape is waist, which is not the hips, and neck.  For females it is neck, waist, hips for USAF.  The army once also measured the wrist, but that was eliminated recently.

The BMI is limited to 25 regardless of gender or age.

a2capt

Quote from: jeders on January 06, 2014, 11:34:06 PMSo no more velcro rank on the flight suit.
Isn't that text the same way in the current revision, and people just do the velcro .. because? .. Hmmm.. s'pose I could look.

paul83814

Quote from: a2capt on January 07, 2014, 12:21:31 AM
Quote from: jeders on January 06, 2014, 11:34:06 PMSo no more velcro rank on the flight suit.
Isn't that text the same way in the current revision, and people just do the velcro .. because? .. Hmmm.. s'pose I could look.

Looks like attachment method is not currently specified:

64 CAPM 39-1   23 MARCH 2005

Table 2-4.  Men's and Women's Flight Suit

1 Flight Suit Green NOMEX.  Flight crew members electing to wear this flight suit
must meet the weight and grooming standards.  Worn with the badges
and devices described in Figure 2-19.

Figure 2-19.  Men's and Women's Green Flight Suit and Green Flight Jacket
(Flight Crews Only)
NOTES:
1. Grade Insignia: Senior members will wear regular size plastic encased grade insignia centered
horizontally on top of each shoulder with bottom edge of insignia placed 1/2 inch from shoulder
seam.   General officers will center plastic grade insignia on shoulder.   CAP cutouts will not be
worn.  Cadets do not wear insignia or cutouts.
Paul Brand, Capt CAP
Personnel & Admin Officer, IT Officer, Asst. Comm. Officer
Coeur d Alene Composite Squadron

"The best portion of a good man's life is the little, nameless, unremembered acts of kindness and love." --William Wordsworth

AlphaSigOU

Just needs a little clarification... Bada bing!

Quote8.2.4.6   Attaching Accoutrements
8.2.4.6.1   Officer Rank Insignia. Officer rank insignia will be sewn directly to the FDU using OD (black or dark blue on CFDU) or clear plastic thread.
8.2.4.6.2   Nametag. FDU nametag will be attached using hook and loop fastener (i.e. Velcro). A 2 x 4 inch piece of OD green loop tape (black or dark blue on CFDU) will be sewn to the FDU/CFDU using OD green thread (black or dark blue on CFDU).
8.2.4.6.3   CAP Command Patch. The command patch may be attaching using hook and loop fastener or sewn directly to the FDU/CFDU. If hook and loop is used, a piece of OD green loop tape (black or dark blue on CFDU) cut to the shape of the command patch will be sewn to the FDU using OD green thread. If the command patch is sewn directly to the FDU/CFDU, use thread that matches the patch and remove hook tape from back of patch.
8.2.4.6.4   Emergency Services Patch. The ES Patch may be attaching using hook and loop fastener or sewn directly to the FDU/CFDU. If hook and loop is used, a piece of OD green loop tape (black or dark blue on CFDU) cut to the shape of the emergency services patch will be sewn to the FDU/CFDU using OD green thread (black or dark blue on CFDU). If the emergency services patch is sewn directly to the FDU, use thread that matches the patch and remove hook tape from back of patch.
8.2.4.6.5   Sleeve Patches. Sleeve patches may be attached using hook and loop fastener or sewn directly to the FDU. If hook a loop is used, a 3 ½ x 3 ½ (or 4 x 4) inch square piece of OD green loop (black or dark blue on CFDU) tape will be sewn to each sleeve using OD green thread. Hook tape will be attached to the back of patches and will not be visible beyond the edges of the patch. If patches are sewn directly to the FDU, use thread that matches the patch.

I added 4" x 4" since that's generally a standard size of Velcro strip that's commonly available. Many people put the velcro on the plastic encased grade as a cheap and dirty - and unauthorized - method of attaching it to the uniform.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on January 07, 2014, 03:12:40 PM
I added 4" x 4" since that's generally a standard size of Velcro strip that's commonly available. Many people put the velcro on the plastic encased grade as a cheap and dirty - and unauthorized - method of attaching it to the uniform.

Not to mention ugly (I tried it myself) since it looks like one is sprouting towers from each shoulder.

Exiled from GLR-MI-011

NIN

Quote from: CyBorg on January 07, 2014, 06:00:08 PM
Quote from: AlphaSigOU on January 07, 2014, 03:12:40 PM

Not to mention ugly (I tried it myself) since it looks like one is sprouting towers from each shoulder.

after losing *just one* plastic encased Lt Col (and finding it later stuck to an article of clothing in my closet) on velcro, I gave up and sewed them straight on.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Devil Doc

You dont have to wear the rank on the shoulders of the Green Flight suit. Your rank is on the Name Patch that is Velcro. Why would you want to wear the rank on your shoulder?
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

NIN

Quote from: Devil Doc on January 07, 2014, 06:19:09 PM
You dont have to wear the rank on the shoulders of the Green Flight suit. Your rank is on the Name Patch that is Velcro. Why would you want to wear the rank on your shoulder?

Fig 2-19: "Grade Insignia: Senior members will wear regular size plastic encased grade insignia centered horizontally on top of each shoulder with bottom edge of insignia placed 1/2 inch from shoulder seam."

Table 6-1, Line 14

IOW, yes you DO have to wear the rank on the shoulders of the green flight suit.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: Devil Doc on January 07, 2014, 06:19:09 PM

Yes you do.

Because the name patch rank is a leftover from the days when the green bag could be worn by those who didn't meet weight and grooming standards.Those who didn't meet the standard could not wear the grade insignia but could display the grade title (LT COL CAP) on the name patch. Perhaps in a future revision to 39-1 (the PTB doesn't want changes to the name badge right now) that could get changed... but don't hold your breath!
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040