Main Menu

It's finally here!

Started by Storm Chaser, December 31, 2013, 06:25:47 PM

Storm Chaser

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on January 01, 2014, 05:30:28 PM
I worked with Lt Col Preston Perrenot of Nevada Wing on improved uniform illustrations a few years back. I haven't been in touch with him in a while, but will try to get in touch with him and see if we can get these illustrations incorporated. But it's going to be an uphill battle...

Attached are a couple of illustrations we worked on. Please be aware that these comply with the current CAPM 39-1 and not the 39-1 up for comment and review.

These are pretty nice! Definitely much better than the new pictures they've taken so far. But I concur with you about the uphill battle. Since they already started taking the pictures, and it seems they're trying to emulate AFI 36-2903, I doubt they'll go in this direction. It's a shame. The quality of the pictures taken (to include the poses, uniform wear, etc.) don't even begin to match those on AFI 36-2903. I think illustrations of this quality is the way to go. I wish they would at least improve the quality of the current illustrations, which are very poor to say the least.

(edited to remove Eclipse post with image to avoid confusion, as my reply referred to image attachments posted by AlphaSigOU)

a2capt

Quote from: Papabird on January 01, 2014, 05:40:32 PMe.g. 4.1.1.3.5 - If a military aviation badge (aeronautical, space or cyberspace) is worn, it will be worn in the second position.
Because those are not for our service. You can be an Air Force pilot all you want. But your not flying our birds without being 5/91'ed.

On the ribbons, it would be kind of hard to say that anything earned RM is outranked by auxiliary service. Since ribbons are not duty designating devices. Though one might argue wings are the same way, but no.

Quote from: brent.teal on January 01, 2014, 05:34:09 PMI am wondering why they will allow a boonie style cap for the blue BDU but not for the af-style BDU?
Something about rangers, instructors, SNCOs, reserved for, and all that kind of stuff. ;)

Forget it.

Personal opinion: I think that hat looks as dopey as the beret, just a lot sloppier.

AlphaSigOU

Some of the illustrations in 39-1 date back to the 70s!
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

tribalelder

CONTENT
Good ideas-
Weigh in procedure
Dark blue tapes and insignia backgrounds on utility uniforms
Fleece outerwear
Knit cap
Winter headgear

Not convinced-
Boots to be required w/ BBDU

New reg 151 pages, up from 130. Have we grown 16% since last 39-1 ?  Maybe our aggregate weight is up 16% since then.

WE ARE HERE ON CAPTALK BECAUSE WE ALL CARE ABOUT THE PROGRAM. We may not always agree and we should not always agree.  One of our strengths as an organization is that we didn't all go to the same school, so we all know how to do something different and differently. 
Since we all care about CAP, its members and our missions, sometimes our discussions will be animated, but they should always civil -- after all, it's in our name.

brent.teal

Any idea what this black watch cap is?  They don't even have an place holder for a picture for it. 
If we can't wear a boonie hat with BDU's how about a tilly hat.
Brent Teal, Captain. CAP
NER-PA-102 Deputy Commander, Communications officer, or whatever else needs doing.

BillB

To bad that CAP is not following up with the concept of a professional NCO corp. Since 1947 USAF was happy with CAP NCOs wearing standard USAF stripes, now CAP comes up with a new version meaning the NCO has to buy several new sets of stripes. And the retired CMSgt can no longer wear his NCO Mess Dress, because CAP prohibits it. Twqenty years ago USAF got rid of the ultramarine blue, but CAP clings to it but requires navy blue for the BDU. Why not go to navy blue for all insigna background and patches (name and CAP on BDUs) And there is mass confusion on the beret, it seems to indicate all cadets can wear it, not just Blue Beret cadets. But whatever I think means nothing to the powers that be.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

LSThiker

Quote from: brent.teal on January 01, 2014, 06:12:59 PM
Any idea what this black watch cap is?  They don't even have an place holder for a picture for it. 

Black stocking cap.  Typically made of black fleece.  Look up Army Black Watch cap.

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on January 01, 2014, 06:00:13 PM
Some of the illustrations in 39-1 date back to the 70s!

I happened to be going through the AFI 36-2903 and noticed that a number of the general illustrations in the draft 39-1 are the same as the USAF uniform regulations.

Papabird

Quote from: a2capt on January 01, 2014, 05:53:25 PM
Quote from: Papabird on January 01, 2014, 05:40:32 PMe.g. 4.1.1.3.5 - If a military aviation badge (aeronautical, space or cyberspace) is worn, it will be worn in the second position.
Because those are not for our service. You can be an Air Force pilot all you want. But your not flying our birds without being 5/91'ed.

On the ribbons, it would be kind of hard to say that anything earned RM is outranked by auxiliary service. Since ribbons are not duty designating devices. Though one might argue wings are the same way, but no.

As wings are awarded for life, they are both duty and award.  Rules of Precedence are not based on current ability or standing, they are based on overall precedence, period.  Just because you are wearing CAP Master MP wings, doesn't mean you are current or could/should fly any of "our birds" either, especially if a pilot is medically disqualified to fly.  That doesn't change the order either. 

Now, a better argument against my point would be that current aeronautical goes above the past aeronautical.   >:D ;)  But I don't agree with that either.  LOL

Simple rule, USAF is above CAP in everything (as our parent service should be).  So, why are the wings the only exception?
Michael Willis, Lt. Col CAP
Georgia Wing

Devil Doc

Quote from: JoeTomasone on December 31, 2013, 10:48:12 PM
We also finally do not have to hunt down blue belts with open black buckles for the BDUs anymore - or pay Vanguard's high price for them; we can use the black Army web or rigger's belt.

5.1.2.6 Belt and Buckle. Dark blue or black, 1 ¼-inch woven cotton web, solid or woven
elastic belt with black metal tip end and plain (open faced) black buckle. Black tip may
extend up to 1 inch beyond the buckle, facing to the wearer's left (men) or facing wearer's
right or left (women). A black, one-piece rigger style, nylon, web belt (1 ¾ inch
wide) may be worn

I wore my Rigger Style Black Belt Anyway, before the New Regs  :P, Glad I was Right  ;)
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

Panache

Quote from: BillB on January 01, 2014, 06:16:20 PM
Twqenty years ago USAF got rid of the ultramarine blue, but CAP clings to it but requires navy blue for the BDU. Why not go to navy blue for all insigna background and patches (name and CAP on BDUs)

Personal wild guess:  because when (if) ABU's are announced, it will also be announced that woodland-pattern BDUs are to be phased out, and there's no point on having everybody spend time and money getting tapes and insignia replaced on a uniform which will be phased out soon.

NIN

BTW, to make assembling a canonical reference (or discussing a change) easier:

Call out the reference to the paragraph. All the paragraphs have a wonderful numbering schema. Lets use it. :)

Identify the type of issue:
T = Typo, F = formatting error, G = grammatical error, I =  inconsistency (ie. one para says dark blue, another referring to the same insignia says ultramarine) or P = Policy.

Then call out the issue.

Like so:

"Para 1.2.3.4.  Tattoo & Body Marking.  (T)  "There shall be no no tattoos on the hands."  The word "no" is repeated twice."

or

"Para 4.5.6.7.  (F) Paragraph is at the same level as 4.5.6.6 and 4.5.6.8, but it is not indented the same amount"

When determining an inconsistency, be specific what you mean.  Watch your pronoun usage and such.  Some words (especially "it" and "this")  can cause confusion as to the specific elements you're referring to.

So you might say "Para 10.1.1.1.  (I) Suggests wear of Guard ribbons is ok, but para 10.2.3.4 specifically says it is not allowed." or even "Para 10.1.1.1. Awards.  (I) States in part: "The wear of National Guard & Reserve decorations is authorized," however, para 10.2.3.4 and the footnote on Table 10-2 says "the wear of National Guard awards is prohibited."  Which is it?"

That way we're always sure we're referring to the same things in our discussion.
(and you can bet that the NUC are looking at this thread and building their own list of "oopsies")

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

a2capt

Quote from: BillB on January 01, 2014, 06:16:20 PMTwqenty years ago USAF got rid of the ultramarine blue, but CAP clings to it but requires navy blue for the BDU. Why not go to navy blue for all insigna background and patches (name and CAP on BDUs)
Because the Big V still has inventory to sell. ;)

abdsp51

ALCON,  something to remember as well is that this is the draft publication and not the final product.  This is a huge improvement over what we have had.  But let's provide solid feedback via the channels provided so that we can have an awesome finished product. 

Some things that I like:

Including a fleece for wear
Including a watch cap
Making the Golf shirt not a service equal
Authorizing tac pants
Clear guidance on the 1st Sgt Diamond for cadets

Things I don't like

Graphics need work major
Language should be a bit more clear cut
Not allowing Sq CCs to authorize Sq hats

All in all this draft is better than what we currently have, and there is room for improvement.  But when we provide feedback lets be constructive about it. 

arajca

Quote from: Panache on January 01, 2014, 06:41:21 PM
Quote from: BillB on January 01, 2014, 06:16:20 PM
Twqenty years ago USAF got rid of the ultramarine blue, but CAP clings to it but requires navy blue for the BDU. Why not go to navy blue for all insigna background and patches (name and CAP on BDUs)

Personal wild guess:  because when (if) ABU's are announced, it will also be announced that woodland-pattern BDUs are to be phased out, and there's no point on having everybody spend time and money getting tapes and insignia replaced on a uniform which will be phased out soon.
From what I heard at the National Convention, this is accurate. Since the field uniform will not be going away, it make sense to change it now, rather than wait until the ABU gets approved.

BHartman007

I just had a conversation with a lovely gentleman (read that: I quoted a reg, and he called me names) about when it's required to wear a uniform. He maintained he did not have to wear one, because he didn't work with cadets. I sited the current (2005 version) 39-1, which says in table 1-1 members will wear a uniform when attending local functions. He cited the new draft, in section 1.2.3.1, saying that's not required, which it seems not to be. Wearing uniforms to meetings isn't listed in the "optional wear" section, either, leading me to think there's an omission somewhere.

Wing Assistant Director of Administration
Squadron Deputy Commander for Cadets

abdsp51

Let him quote the draft all he wants it is not regulatory until it's signed and published.  Until the most current is what he has to abide by.

BHartman007

I don't mean to ask who was right in the argument, but whether the new one has purposefully or accidentally left out the requirement that a uniform be worn.

Wing Assistant Director of Administration
Squadron Deputy Commander for Cadets

RiverAux

Well, considering that it basically reverts back to the pre-2005 rules I sort of suspect that it was intentional.  Though for the life of me I can't imagine why they would want to do it. 

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: Papabird on January 01, 2014, 05:40:32 PM
OK, point of discussion:

11.2.1 Precedence. The general order of precedence for wear of awards is 1) US Federal
Awards, 2) CAP Awards, 3) JROTC/ROTC awards, and 4) Foreign Awards.

But then why this:

e.g. 4.1.1.3.5 - If a military aviation badge (aeronautical, space or cyberspace) is worn, it will be
worn in the second position.

SO.....if the ribbons/medals take precedent, why doesn't the wings/occupational devices?  This has bugged me for a while.   ???

When wearing the AF-style uniform, CAP aeronautical ratings and specialty badges take precedence over US military aviation ratings and badges. In the olden days of CAP, US military aeronautical ratings were worn a half-inch over the right pocket of the blues.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

JoeTomasone

Just realized this and sent a comment in... 

Quote from: Comment
Language on when the uniform may be worn accidentally eliminates wear during normal CAP activities.

Uniform Wear Required (1.2.3):

Working with cadets
Flying in a CAP aircraft
Conducting business under a CAP mission number
Attending a military or civilian event representing CAP
Touring Washington DC, as part of a CAP activity or conducting CAP business in the National Capitol Area

Wear Optional (1.2.4):

When traveling in an official capacity on commercial air, in CONUS.

Neither required nor optional, and therefore not authorized ("COMPLIANCE WITH THIS PUBLICATION IS MANDATORY. This publication is the sole source for wear instructions and authorized items for various uniform combinations as prescribed within. Variation from this publication (is) not authorized."):

Unit Meetings
Wing/Region/National Conferences
When operating CAP Vehicles
Airshows
Meetings with local, State, or Federal Governments
Etc...

Suggest moving 1.2.4.2 to 1.2.4.3 and inserting a new 1.2.4.2 as follows: "During normal CAP activities, when attending CAP events, and when conducting CAP business except as required or prohibited elsewhere in this Manual."