tall tales locked out topics

Started by starshippe, August 17, 2013, 03:12:10 AM

starshippe

i was going to post an interesting mission i had a few years ago, but noticed that the topic is locked.
   should i not post any new messages concerning elt missions?

bill

whatevah

Were you trying to reply to an old thread?  or start a new one?  Topics that have not been replied to in 180 or 365 days (depending on the category) are automatically locked.
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

starshippe

ah, i see. yes, it had not been replied to in some time.
   i will start a new one.

thanks,
bill

SarDragon

Quote from: starshippe on August 17, 2013, 04:07:39 AM

ah, i see. yes, it had not been replied to in some time.
   i will start a new one.

thanks,
bill

And turn over a new leaf in the process - use your shift key when you post.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

MacGruff

My, my, my, the board now is getting picky about spelling and punctuation?  Seems like quite a new wind is blowing here...    >:D 8)

Майор Хаткевич

SarDragon

Check out the Membership Code of Conduct some time. Proper form is encouraged. Poor form makes the posts harder to read, and bad spelling can radically change the meaning. On top of all that, the SMs should be setting an example for the cadets. Their writing has enough issues already without them seeing bad examples here.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

MacGruff

Quote from: SarDragon on August 17, 2013, 09:13:25 PM
Check out the Membership Code of Conduct some time. Proper form is encouraged. Poor form makes the posts harder to read, and bad spelling can radically change the meaning. On top of all that, the SMs should be setting an example for the cadets. Their writing has enough issues already without them seeing bad examples here.

I do not question that it is a correct policy, but the last few weeks of my participation on this board did not show that to be a priority for anyone until these past two days.

I also do not like it when everyone uses acronyms. It is simply a form of laziness and an incredible source of confusion. I can come up with multiple meanings of many TLAs!

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: MacGruff on August 17, 2013, 11:29:50 PM
Quote from: SarDragon on August 17, 2013, 09:13:25 PM

I do not question that it is a correct policy, but the last few weeks of my participation on this board did not show that to be a priority for anyone until these past two days.

I also do not like it when everyone uses acronyms. It is simply a form of laziness and an incredible source of confusion. I can come up with multiple meanings of many TLAs!

Which ones are you struggling with right now? Like everything else, acronyms are to be taken in context, in this case, the CAP context.

MacGruff

Quote from: usafaux2004 on August 17, 2013, 11:31:19 PM
Which ones are you struggling with right now? Like everything else, acronyms are to be taken in context, in this case, the CAP context.

I'm not struggling with any particular one, my comment was more general than specific.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: MacGruff on August 17, 2013, 11:35:26 PM
Quote from: usafaux2004 on August 17, 2013, 11:31:19 PM

I'm not struggling with any particular one, my comment was more general than specific.

So, without examples, why is it an issue? YMMV, but TLAs and FLAs are quite essential/efficient/group specific in everything.

MacGruff

Quote from: usafaux2004 on August 17, 2013, 11:38:23 PM

So, without examples, why is it an issue? YMMV, but TLAs and FLAs are quite essential/efficient/group specific in everything.

:D

You just made my point, didn't you?

I, like many others, work in an industry that has its own acronyms. So, ES, AEO, and others have multiple meanings in my world. Is it really that difficult to type Emergency Services, Aerospace Education Officer, Your Mileage May Vary, or any of the others?

The efficiency argument fails every time a group of people come together and refer to different things by using the same letters. I would much rather state the long name than deal with the consequences of the confusion. Of course, part of my attitude comes from the fact that I work in an industry where if we make mistakes, we kill people, so I am perhaps more conscious of this problem than most.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: MacGruff on August 17, 2013, 11:44:56 PM
Quote from: usafaux2004 on August 17, 2013, 11:38:23 PM

:D

You just made my point, didn't you?

I, like many others, work in an industry that has its own acronyms. So, ES, AEO, and others have multiple meanings in my world. Is it really that difficult to type Emergency Services, Aerospace Education Officer, Your Mileage May Vary, or any of the others?

The efficiency argument fails every time a group of people come together and refer to different things by using the same letters. I would much rather state the long name than deal with the consequences of the confusion. Of course, part of my attitude comes from the fact that I work in an industry where if we make mistakes, we kill people, so I am perhaps more conscious of this problem than most.

We're on a CAP forum, in a CAP context. If you're choosing to use your "other" understanding of ES, AEO, EO, CP, DCC, CDC, Etc, that's on you, not me, anyone else in CAP, or CAP itself.

Eclipse

Quote from: MacGruff on August 17, 2013, 11:44:56 PMOf course, part of my attitude comes from the fact that I work in an industry where if we make mistakes, we kill people, so I am perhaps more conscious of this problem than most.

...please...

"That Others May Zoom"

Spaceman3750

It sure would be nice if there was somewhere on the Internet where CAP peers could come together and discuss struggles, resources, and current trends without having to worry about people constantly trying to exert their intellectual superiority to a random person on the Internet.

Oh wait...

MacGruff

Quote from: usafaux2004 on August 17, 2013, 11:49:26 PM
We're on a CAP forum, in a CAP context. If you're choosing to use your "other" understanding of ES, AEO, EO, CP, DCC, CDC, Etc, that's on you, not me, anyone else in CAP, or CAP itself.

Well, then. I am sure that there is a glossary somewhere on either this site or the official one that has these all spelled out. Unfortunately, I did not come across it yet. Care to send me a link to it?

By the way, what does COC mean? It is something that came up at the last squadron meeting I attended.

8)

Shotgun