American Red Cross Disaster Services

Started by Angus, September 24, 2009, 04:22:10 PM

Angus

Does anyone else volunteer with the Red Cross for Disaster Services? 

I'm starting that tonight in adition to my CERT training that I started last night. 

With all this training at once I'll either learn a lot or just go completely insane.   8)

A wise man once said "Never stop training"
Maj. Richard J. Walsh, Jr.
Director Education & Training MAWG 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

RiverAux

Many CAP members have received such training over the years and I'm sure there are a few CAP members who are actively involved with the Red Cross as well.  I don't know any, but one member of my CG Aux unit is also very heavily involved in RC disaster response activities.

notaNCO forever

I've done the training for it through CAP; I've never had to use it yet.

Angus

I know I've been through some with Red Cross.  I'm asking if someone is also an actual member of the Red Cross Disaster Services. 
Maj. Richard J. Walsh, Jr.
Director Education & Training MAWG 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

RedFox24

Quote from: Angus on September 24, 2009, 04:22:10 PM
Does anyone else volunteer with the Red Cross for Disaster Services? 

I'm starting that tonight in adition to my CERT training that I started last night. 

With all this training at once I'll either learn a lot or just go completely insane.   8)

A wise man once said "Never stop training"

No not anymore. 

I did at one time though.  And it was rewarding.

However, and there is always a however in life.............

I have been through the training inside and outside of CAP.  But not to long ago RC started background checks on volunteers. 

Ok, not a problem and not my first. 

However their background check also included a credit check and various other things that are none of their &^@%#(* business.  Plus when you signed the "waver" for the background/credit check, you were also signing to allow them to do some other things that quite frankly I don't remember now but at the time pretty much torqued me off equally as well as the credit check. 

So I steer clear of the RC at all cost now. 

I will do work for the Salvation Army, Baptist Relief, fraternal organizations I am a member of and other similar organizations I am not such as radio comms, shelters, food or water stations etc if needed or asked but not the RC.

And before some wise guy asks what I have to hide the answer is nothing.  I would do the background check just like I have for CAP and other organizations I am a member of.  But I draw the line at them checking my credit and my bank account and calling my kindergarten teacher to see if I owe any back milk money.

I understand they changed their policy somewhat sense then but I have moved on.

I hope your experience is different.
Contrarian and Curmudgeon at Large

"You can tell a member of National Headquarters but you can't tell them much!"

Just say NO to NESA Speak.