Main Menu

CERT

Started by Angus, September 23, 2009, 01:16:23 PM

Angus

Has anyone take CERT training?  How was it?  I start mine tonight sort of.  Tonight is the info meeting the first actual class is next week. 
Maj. Richard J. Walsh, Jr.
Director Education & Training MAWG 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

isuhawkeye

lol.  I'm actually helping with a cert class right now.  ill post more later

Airrace

I have never heard of CERT training. Tell us more about it.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Seabee219

I took the CERT course and test on the FEMA web site last month. It is a long one, but I do not think that is enough to pass the CAP cert.
CAP Capt, Retired US Navy Seabee.
  MRO, MS, MO, UDF, GT3, MSA, CUL
1. Lead by example, and take care of your people

Angus

Where is it on the website?  Part of CERT training involves practical training and learning from local Fired Department and Police Department.
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

isuhawkeye

EMI has a course that is an overview of CERT.  it is not a full CERT class

Angus

That's what I thought when I just looked.  I can't wait it sounds like it will be fun.  I did realize that of the students taking it, I'm the only one who has gone through all of the major ICS courses. 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

SarMaster

The real CERT course is a 40 hour class taught by fire/EMS personel to build local teams (Community) to be able to survive in a disaster at least 72 hours untill help gets there!
Semper Gumby!

Angus

SARMaster where are you getting 40 hours from?  The meeting I was at said 18. 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

RiverAux

I had thought it was more like 60-80.

isuhawkeye

Lol,

Our capitol complex does it in something like three business days.

SarMaster

Im a CERT Instructor for FEMA....  40 hours is SUPPOSED to to the standard
Semper Gumby!

LTC Don

I'm also a trainer, although we haven't held a course yet, but here's the info off of the http://www.citizencorps.gov/cert/index.shtm website. 

QuoteThe CERT course is delivered in the community by a team of first responders who have the requisite knowledge and skills to instruct the sessions. It is suggested that the instructors complete a CERT Train-the-Trainer (TTT) conducted by their State Training Office for Emergency Management or the Emergency Management Institute in order to learn the training techniques that are used successfully by the LAFD.

The CERT training for community groups is usually delivered in 2 1/2 hour sessions, one evening a week over a 7 week period. The training consists of the following:

Session I, DISASTER PREPAREDNESS: Addresses hazards to which people are vulnerable in their community. Materials cover actions that participants and their families take before, during, and after a disaster. As the session progresses, the instructor begins to explore an expanded response role for civilians in that they should begin to consider themselves disaster workers. Since they will want to help their family members and neighbors, this training can help them operate in a safe and appropriate manner. The CERT concept and organization are discussed as well as applicable laws governing volunteers in that jurisdiction.
Session II, DISASTER FIRE SUPPRESSION: Briefly covers fire chemistry, hazardous materials, fire hazards, and fire suppression strategies. However, the thrust of this session is the safe use of fire extinguishers, sizing up the situation, controlling utilities, and extinguishing a small fire.
Session III, DISASTER MEDICAL OPERATIONS PART I: Participants practice diagnosing and treating airway obstruction, bleeding, and shock by using simple triage and rapid treatment techniques.
Session IV, DISASTER MEDICAL OPERATIONS, PART II: Covers evaluating patients by doing a head to toe assessment, establishing a medical treatment area, performing basic first aid, and practicing in a safe and sanitary manner.
Session V, LIGHT SEARCH AND RESCUE OPERATIONS: Participants learn about search and rescue planning, size-up, search techniques, rescue techniques, and most important, rescuer safety.
Session VI, DISASTER PSYCHOLOGY AND TEAM ORGANIZATION: Covers signs and symptoms that might be experienced by the disaster victim and worker. It addresses CERT organization and management principles and the need for documentation.
Session VII, COURSE REVIEW AND DISASTER SIMULATION: Participants review their answers from a take home examination. Finally, they practice the skills that they have learned during the previous six sessions in disaster activity.
During each session participants are required to bring safety equipment (gloves, goggles, mask) and disaster supplies (bandages, flashlight, dressings) which will be used during the session. By doing this for each session, participants are building a disaster response kit of items that they will need during a disaster.
During each session participants are required to bring safety equipment (gloves, goggles, mask) and disaster supplies (bandages, flashlight, dressings) which will be used during the session. By doing this for each session, participants are building a disaster response kit of items that they will need during a disaster.

Cheers,
Donald A. Beckett, Lt Col, CAP
Commander
MER-NC-143
Gill Rob Wilson #1891

Walkman

I was chatting with my Group CC about CERT. He mentioned that it wouldn't be a good idea to join the local CERT team, as it would put me in a weird spot during an actual emergency: Do I deploy with CAP or CERT Team for teh incident?

Those of you that do both, how do you handle it? I was thinking about doing CERT myself, but backed off after that discussion.

isuhawkeye

When I was in CAP I worked and volunteered for different emergency response entities.  The key is to draw very clear boundaries.  There should be no confusion about which agency you are representing. 

The problems come when you spend time working for one, and dont put time into the other.

If you can make it work go for it

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: Walkman on October 03, 2009, 01:35:16 AM
I was chatting with my Group CC about CERT. He mentioned that it wouldn't be a good idea to join the local CERT team, as it would put me in a weird spot during an actual emergency: Do I deploy with CAP or CERT Team for teh incident?

Those of you that do both, how do you handle it? I was thinking about doing CERT myself, but backed off after that discussion.
That might be good advice.  HOWEVER, what would your duties be in CAP during certain types of diasters ???.  Generally in natural diasters, it's CAP's aircraft taking photos & depending upon your wing's agreements with state emergency management officials, probably no ground team activity (perhaps with the exception of some radio stations/operators to keep in contact with aircraft) would occur.
CERT on the other hand can be called out even if there's a large fire or accident, as well as many other natural and or man made disasters in the community they serve.
Usually the CERT team is going to have 40 to 50 members anyways, and IF a few can't show up, it should have minimal impact.  No harm in taking the training and see what develops.
RM 

RiverAux

You're forgetting that CERT is not a CAP-recognized ES qualification which means that we're intending to deploy CAP members to do CERT duties. 

Eclipse

Quote from: Walkman on October 03, 2009, 01:35:16 AM

Kudos to your CC for doing his job, which is maintaining his readiness and troop strength, not encouraging members to "graduate" to other services.  There are some members with so many ID cards I don't know how they keep the SOP's straight, nor can they really be effective and "engaged" in the fullest sense with any of them as there will always be training and operational conflicts.

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on October 04, 2009, 02:13:14 PMThat might be good advice.  HOWEVER, what would your duties be in CAP during certain types of diasters ???.  Generally in natural diasters, it's CAP's aircraft taking photos & depending upon your wing's agreements with state emergency management officials, probably no ground team activity (perhaps with the exception of some radio stations/operators to keep in contact with aircraft)

Hmm. I guess all that sandbagging, house-to-house well- being checks, ARC disaster assessments, and related activities we've been doing in the last few years didn't really happen.  OK, my bad, I'll just start making phone calls to have people turn in the DR-V's and SAR Ribbons (most had too many anyway).  ::)

"That Others May Zoom"

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: Eclipse on October 04, 2009, 04:25:00 PM
Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on October 04, 2009, 02:13:14 PMThat might be good advice.  HOWEVER, what would your duties be in CAP during certain types of diasters ???.  Generally in natural diasters, it's CAP's aircraft taking photos & depending upon your wing's agreements with state emergency management officials, probably no ground team activity (perhaps with the exception of some radio stations/operators to keep in contact with aircraft)

Hmm. I guess all that sandbagging, house-to-house well- being checks, ARC disaster assessments, and related activities we've been doing in the last few years didn't really happen.  OK, my bad, I'll just start making phone calls to have people turn in the DR-V's and SAR Ribbons (most had too many anyway).  ::)

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on October 04, 2009, 04:57:31 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on October 04, 2009, 04:25:00 PM

Sorry, I hit the button before adding a comment ;D
Again I think you will find that ground disaster support will vary greatly among the wings throughout the US.  IF his wing does or doesn't have a plan than the member will have to make a choice on where they feel they can best contribute their time & skills.

My personal opinion is CAP in many wings are searching for missions for ground team members to do (but the reality is that team manning/availability may just not be there when needed anyways, and it becomes just another paperwork & time spent on training exercise) .  IF you want to throw sandbags around or assist the Red Cross (we have no formal agreement with them nationwide at this time -- perhaps there's a reason for this ???) than by all means do this.
I think that CERT, is CERT (with the community determining its' missions), and IF the wing decides that this is something they would like to support,than the CAP member will have to get the training anyways.
RM 

wuzafuzz

Quote from: RiverAux on October 04, 2009, 04:13:45 PM
You're forgetting that CERT is not a CAP-recognized ES qualification which means that we're intending to deploy CAP members to do CERT duties.
We don't have a SQTR for CERT but it can be entered in eSerives now, and presumably shows on 101 cards.  I'm thinking that makes it a CAP-recognized ES certification.  Could be wrong...
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

RiverAux

There actually is a SQTR for it, but the only thing on it is completion of the DHS CERT training. 

SarDragon

Quote from: RiverAux on October 04, 2009, 04:13:45 PM

Not or now?

Makes a big difference.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

RiverAux

Hoorah

Capt Rivera

//Signed//