Outstanding Communications Unit

Started by arajca, August 07, 2011, 04:27:30 PM

arajca

At the COWG Ops Eval, the Communications Unit, led by CAPTalk's very own Wuzafuzz, earned an OUTSTANDING rating. The CUL was recognized by the AF RMLR evaluators and was awarded a RMLR coin.

Incredible work by all Comm Staff.

Tubacap

That's awesome!  Wuzafuzz, what did you guys do that was different and benchmarkable?
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

wuzafuzz

Quote from: Tubacap on August 08, 2011, 12:49:33 PM
That's awesome!  Wuzafuzz, what did you guys do that was different and benchmarkable?

Thank you both.  I was in the company of people I view as gods in their specialties (people like CAPTalkers Smithsonia, arajca, EOD321, and others I'm spacing on at the moment).  I didn't want Comm to be the weak link in that formidable chain.  Heck, I probably over-prepared since I felt a little "puny" compared to those folks.  So I recruited a team of remarkable communicators: a dream team.  They did most of the heavy lifting.  All I did was point them all in the same direction, ensured they had the tools to be successful, and got out of their way.  On game day I coordinated efforts between sites and greased the rails between comm and other units. 

We don't have a complete written evaluation yet, just a few bullet points from the slide show used during the debrief. 

The evaluators were particularly impressed by the qualifications and experience of the Communications staff.  Our team included 1 assistant CUL in each location to supervise the local MRO's.  Several MRO's were also qualified CUL's and could step up as needed.  Several of the MRO's are also general class or higher ham operators and one was a former police dispatcher.  They all WANTED to work in Comm; although some are pilots, observers, and scanners they did their best to work in Comm and not disappear for flights.  A couple of MRO-T's helped with radio traffic under supervision and served as runners as needed.  Finally one of our cadets was simply an awesome communicator and impressed the heck out of the evaluators.  One of my Assistant CUL's recruited the young man.  I didn't get to meet him since he was at a remote base, but I can't praise him enough.

Equipment wise, we ran radios on our repeater net, some simplex channels, air band, and a separate channel for long haul base - base comms.  We were lucky to have a communication trailer on loan from a county SAR team.  Their comm manager was my assistant CUL  :)  The trailer kept us separated from the hubbub of the mission base proper, but we stayed in touch with appropriate staff members using ISR's.  As mentioned earlier we sent runners as needed.  We could run on AC power, battery, and generator.  Because of the possibilty the trailer could be pulled by the SAR team we had backup equipment ready to roll if needed.  Thanks to our repeater linking system (courtesy of the State of Colorado) we were able to talk all over the state with two main comm bases.  That provided an additional backup option and let us segregate the state into two divisions for comm.  Doing so reduced the traffic load for all crews in the field and each set of MRO's.  We could change the links on the fly to meet changing mission requirements.

While creating the comm plan I reviewed evaluator feedback from previous exercises and ensured our plan addressed every point mentioned.  Further, I used the AF evaluator checklist and made darn sure every item on the list was covered by our team.  The hardest part, for me, was supervising instead of operating.  I had seen previous evaluator comments ding CUL's for being too hands-on so figured that's what they want.  Sometimes I had to dive in, but for the most part I stood back and made sure my folks had the tools needed to do their job, ensured they had opportunities to take breaks, kept them knee deep in drinking water, smoothed over bumps with other units, and repeatedly checked with branch directors to ensure we were meeting thier needs.

We were not perfect.  There were things I forgot and things I could have done better, but none of them bit on game day.  The folks on my team excelled and made us all look good.   I am honored to work with them and humbled by their skills.

I'm sure I forgot something, but will gladly answer any questions.
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: wuzafuzz on August 08, 2011, 07:24:19 PM
Quote from: Tubacap on August 08, 2011, 12:49:33 PM

T
Equipment wise, we ran radios on our repeater net, some simplex channels, air band, and a separate channel for long haul base - base comms.  We were lucky to have a communication trailer on loan from a county SAR team.  Their comm manager was my assistant CUL  :)  The trailer kept us separated from the hubbub of the mission base proper, but we stayed in touch with appropriate staff members using ISR's.  As mentioned earlier we sent runners as needed.  We could run on AC power, battery, and generator.  Because of the possibilty the trailer could be pulled by the SAR team we had backup equipment ready to roll if needed.  Thanks to our repeater linking system (courtesy of the State of Colorado) we were able to talk all over the state with two main comm bases.  That provided an additional backup option and let us segregate the state into two divisions for comm.  Doing so reduced the traffic load for all crews in the field and each set of MRO's.  We could change the links on the fly to meet changing mission requirements.

Well congratulations on your SAREX Comm area exercise rating :clap:

HOWEVER, I think that in any of these evaluations it should be what CAP has as far as resources ALWAYS available, rather than a borrowed comm van.  I'd be interested if the AF evaluators asked about the van and what the agreement was regarding its' use.  Personally, when I was on active duty and had an additional duty on the base exercise evaluation team, the primary emphasis was on what we (AF disaster response force) could do internally rather than depending upon outside agencies.

Regarding your linked VHF system, that's great, BUT again you are depending upon a fairly complex system to be operational, and it is maintained by a third party (just like CT wing in NER).  Got to wonder again IF the evaluators threw in a "repeater linking failure" did you have a working link  HF ALE or  HF conventional (single side band) with all advance mission base throughout your wing ???

Surely, all of us are going to use the communications equipment & facilities that are available to us (including cellphones/computer wireless data & state public safety provided services), BUT if all that were unavailable or sporadically available, what would our emergency comm support networks really look like ???
RM         

wuzafuzz

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on August 13, 2011, 04:41:54 PM
Well congratulations on your SAREX Comm area exercise rating :clap:

HOWEVER, I think that in any of these evaluations it should be what CAP has as far as resources ALWAYS available, rather than a borrowed comm van.  I'd be interested if the AF evaluators asked about the van and what the agreement was regarding its' use.  Personally, when I was on active duty and had an additional duty on the base exercise evaluation team, the primary emphasis was on what we (AF disaster response force) could do internally rather than depending upon outside agencies.

Thank you.  As was mentioned in my earlier post, all the equipment necessary to replace the loaned communications trailer was on site and could be setup quickly if needed.  The trailer was there to serve as a high profile proof of concept, both for the trailer and the methods used with it.  The evaluators did not ask me about the trailer.  Perhaps they would have but I explained the complete circumstances right up front.  Since the entire ICP operated out of a borrowed flight instruction facility (we are gypsies) the trailer may not have been at the top of their list.

Regarding your linked VHF system, that's great, BUT again you are depending upon a fairly complex system to be operational, and it is maintained by a third party (just like CT wing in NER).  Got to wonder again IF the evaluators threw in a "repeater linking failure" did you have a working link  HF ALE or  HF conventional (single side band) with all advance mission base throughout your wing ???
We had land-line telephones, cell phones, text messaging, the linked system, the state trunked radio system, email, and instant messaging in play.  We also had plenty of planes for high bird use along with portable repeaters for some.   HF was installed at some sites and available via RDP in the borrowed trailer.  In addition to the wired Internet connection at our borrowed facility for the ICP, we had Internet available via AirCard in the trailer.  I think we had it covered.  The chance of losing all those channels at once is extremely remote.  As for the complex system maintained by someone else, I'm not too worried.  That system is professionally run and maintained.  Since we share bandwidth with a lot of public safety, they are all over it.  In fact one of our sites took a lightning hit the day before the OPSEVAL and it was all back on air in a couple of hours.

Surely, all of us are going to use the communications equipment & facilities that are available to us (including cellphones/computer wireless data & state public safety provided services), BUT if all that were unavailable or sporadically available, what would our emergency comm support networks really look like ???     
As described above, we were very prepared.  I will concede I wasn't completely prepared for the zombie apocalypse: since this was a CAP activity I had to leave all my firepower at home.

revchas

A story about the 14 year old cadet at the remote base in Colorado Springs who received a coin for outstanding performance is up
on the CAP E News page.

Eclipse

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on August 13, 2011, 04:41:54 PMSurely, all of us are going to use the communications equipment & facilities that are available to us (including cellphones/computer wireless data & state public safety provided services), BUT if all that were unavailable or sporadically available, what would our emergency comm support networks really look like.

In a disaster on that level, we would not be involved until critical infrastructure is restored, whether temporarily or permanently.

"That Others May Zoom"

JeffDG

Quote from: Eclipse on August 17, 2011, 05:32:56 PM
Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on August 13, 2011, 04:41:54 PMSurely, all of us are going to use the communications equipment & facilities that are available to us (including cellphones/computer wireless data & state public safety provided services), BUT if all that were unavailable or sporadically available, what would our emergency comm support networks really look like.

In a disaster on that level, we would not be involved until critical infrastructure is restored, whether temporarily or permanently.
I dunno about that....I know we have a tasking that would involve getting information back half way across the state without any commercial comms infrastructure, and a 6 hour timeline to gather and report the data back.

Eclipse

Quote from: JeffDG on August 17, 2011, 06:40:42 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on August 17, 2011, 05:32:56 PM

I dunno about that....I know we have a tasking that would involve getting information back half way across the state without any commercial comms infrastructure, and a 6 hour timeline to gather and report the data back.

There will be exceptions all over the place, but generally we don't show up until the wind has died down, the water is subsiding, and things are getting back to normal.  I'd be happy to see that change, though.

In your case, VHF with a highbird or two would work fine.

"That Others May Zoom"

wuzafuzz

Quote from: revchas on August 17, 2011, 05:29:52 PM
A story about the 14 year old cadet at the remote base in Colorado Springs who received a coin for outstanding performance is up
on the CAP E News page.
http://www.capvolunteernow.com/news.cfm/colo_cadet_cited_for_communications_work_during_air_forceevaluated_exercise?show=news&newsID=11571
Although I didn't get to see him in person I was impressed by his performance on the air, and was amazed when I heard his age.  A job very well done.   :clap: