Main Menu

Hard hat?

Started by AngelWings, July 01, 2011, 11:58:58 PM

AngelWings

I was just reviewing a binder of ES information I got. There is the mini packet of stuff, labeled O-0001, that list everything I'd need for gear. I noticed that it listed a hard hat has an optional item for a specific need. Just out of general curiosity, what'd a hard hat be. A contruction worker hat, a PAGST combat helmet, my thick skull? And I noticed it said bright. I do have a PAGST helmet close to being in possesion, so would an orange airbrushed helmet with some reflective strips qualify?
I'm sorry in advance, I know it sounds ridiculous, but I would like to know.

cap235629

a bright colored construction style hard hat will suffice.  They can be had for less than 10 bucks.  The purpose is to protect your head from falling branches etc when you are in the woods.
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

AngelWings

Quote from: cap235629 on July 02, 2011, 12:29:43 AM
a bright colored construction style hard hat will suffice.  They can be had for less than 10 bucks.  The purpose is to protect your head from falling branches etc when you are in the woods.
Clears it up a bit.  Kind of cheaper than a PAGST too, so thank you.

davidsinn

DO NOT PAINT A HARD HAT!

The solvents in the paint can eat the plastic and weaken it thus negating the effectiveness. Do not apply anything more than decals.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

AngelWings

Quote from: davidsinn on July 02, 2011, 01:11:12 AM
DO NOT PAINT A HARD HAT!

The solvents in the paint can eat the plastic and weaken it thus negating the effectiveness. Do not apply anything more than decals.
I was only thinking of painting the PAGST Combat Helmet (the one that is used with the BDU's) without the cover.

davidsinn

Quote from: Littleguy on July 02, 2011, 01:17:23 AM
Quote from: davidsinn on July 02, 2011, 01:11:12 AM
DO NOT PAINT A HARD HAT!

I was only thinking of painting the PAGST Combat Helmet (the one that is used with the BDU's) without the cover.
The steel brain bucket? That should be ok.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

MIKE

If I was gonna carry/wear a helmet I would probably go for a climbing one:
http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3664936&cp=3677347.11360112

Or at least a similarly set up hard hat with a chinstrap.

Quote from: davidsinn on July 02, 2011, 01:22:17 AM
The steel brain bucket? That should be ok.

PASGT is the first generation Kevlar helmet.
Mike Johnston

Eclipse

I have one because I had one already, put some CAP decals and my name on it, and it's just been in the way for years.

Looks good on the top of the mannequin with the 24 hour gear, though, at airshows, etc.

Actually, now that I think about it, I think I actually have worn it a few times in heavy brush, or when helping put up radio towers, etc.

"That Others May Zoom"

PA Guy

If you show up with a steel pot or PASGT don't expect to be taken seriously.  It is bad enough with some GTMs striving for the Ricky Recon look.

AngelWings

Quote from: PA Guy on July 02, 2011, 04:06:55 AM
If you show up with a steel pot or PASGT don't expect to be taken seriously.  It is bad enough with some GTMs striving for the Ricky Recon look.
Trust me, I'm not going for a ricky recon look. I don't plan on wearing the helmet cover.  I was thinking of an orange paintjob wth some reflective strips attached. I'm not buying the helmet for ES. I'm saying would it be alright (has in, regulations and team perspective) if I did use it. I want the thing for my collection of militaria to be quite frank. That is why I'm going to grab one.

200th post, do I get a cookie  :D

PA Guy

Doesn't matter if you wear it with or without cover or what color you paint it.  Go buy a const. hardhat as others have suggested.  Just saying...

coudano

GT used to have some rope work in it, related to working on moderately inclined surfaces
the helmet is there to protect your head if you fall or rocks fall on it
those tasks have been removed though (along with most of the wilderness survival tasks), the packing list was not updated to match

If trees and branches are falling out of the woods, it's probably too dangerous to be operating a ground team there (!!!)

(we've also used them responding to ice storms where there were pieces of ice falling, and it was DEFINITELY too dangerous to operate a ground team there...  it is really a miracle that there was no injury, in hindsight)

Flying Pig

Quote from: Littleguy on July 01, 2011, 11:58:58 PM
I was just reviewing a binder of ES information I got. There is the mini packet of stuff, labeled O-0001, that list everything I'd need for gear. I noticed that it listed a hard hat has an optional item for a specific need. Just out of general curiosity, what'd a hard hat be. A contruction worker hat, a PAGST combat helmet, my thick skull? And I noticed it said bright. I do have a PAGST helmet close to being in possesion, so would an orange airbrushed helmet with some reflective strips qualify?
I'm sorry in advance, I know it sounds ridiculous, but I would like to know.

Oh no....Please tell me you arent serious?  Yeah, if you want to be the kid eating alone at lunch.

Perhaps you might want to step into 21st century SAR

http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp?pfid=2038&utm_campaign=shop_comp&utm_source=google&utm_medium=buy_now&utm_term=goog_product_2038&gclid=CO3644-A46kCFRE3gwodz3YFag

GroundHawg

The ProTec is a great helmet, I just cant understand why they dont make it in ORANGE?

arajca

I would recommend getting a hard hat in white or orange. CAPM 39-1 allows wing commanders to authorize white helmet liners for ES work. Orange has the visibility issue going for it.

Very important point - get a hard hat that is ANSI or OSHA compliant. Helmet liners and PAGST helmet aren't. I don't know if the ProTec helmets are, but their purpose is water rescue. While all of these MAY meet or exceed the ANSI or OSHA requirements, if it isn't stated on the helmet or on the manufacturer's spec sheets, it doesn't. The inexpensive hard hats you can get from Home Depot or Lowe's do meet the requirements (I found a sale at Home Depot 2 for $10 - I got 2). Not fancy, but for occasional use like CAP would have, they're great and you're not out a lot of money. Additionally, such things as replacement suspensions and liners are readily available and inexpensive.

mclarke

They do have special helmets designed for "Search and Rescue". Maybe look into that?

cap235629

Quote from: coudano on July 02, 2011, 01:36:31 PM
GT used to have some rope work in it, related to working on moderately inclined surfaces
the helmet is there to protect your head if you fall or rocks fall on it
those tasks have been removed though (along with most of the wilderness survival tasks), the packing list was not updated to match

If trees and branches are falling out of the woods, it's probably too dangerous to be operating a ground team there (!!!)

(we've also used them responding to ice storms where there were pieces of ice falling, and it was DEFINITELY too dangerous to operate a ground team there...  it is really a miracle that there was no injury, in hindsight)

The local teams require everyone who steps foot into a treeline to wear one.  Best 5 bucks you can spend in my opinion
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

arajca

Quote from: mclarke on July 03, 2011, 12:37:25 AM
They do have special helmets designed for "Search and Rescue". Maybe look into that?
Yes and you pay for them. Lowest I've seen is $66 going up to over $200. Personally, I'd get one if I was doing GT duties, but I would recommend a unit get plain hard hats. Much greater bang for the buck ($100 = 15-20 hard hats or 1 SAR helmet). Since CAP does not generally use helmets on a daily basis, the inexpensive ones are fine.

I may get a fancy SAR helmet if I get into DR field work.

AngelWings

Ok, I see where this is going. I'll probably just pick up a Home Depot hard hat or something. Wasting a PAGST helmet for this would be a lose-lose for me. I don't have a collectible item, and I'll be getting treated like an idiot.

EMT-83

See, there is something that cadets can learn from us old farts senior members.